Merging Expanded Castles into the base game

I agree with Afforess suggestions in the 1st post but if the castle gatehouse is handled poorly by the AI or confuses the AI then it should be removed.
I personally have stopped using features of the mod that aren't handled properly by the AI.

Just to chime in my own observations, I've definitely seen the AI use the expanded buildings. Moat + gatehouse + ballista turret is a really evil combination, you need way more units than the defender if you want to take that city.

Personally I'm undecided; while I always use the expanded buildings, they're not really all that important to me. I don't mind leaving them optional - as 45 pointed out, some players may want them in their multiplayer games, while others don't want them.

How about making these expansions combine into one expensive building like Cannon Turret? Then the worry about the importance to AI can be simplified?

I think for now I will remove the catacombs, dungeon and balistraria. No changes to other buildings. Castles game option will remain an option, but "default" to enabled.

Posted elsewhere on this, but I played a couple games with expanded castles on before I got frustrated with them and turned them off. Herbalist is enormously frustrating when you've already attacked and wounded/ killed most troops but don't have the numbers to take the city in that turn. (Combined with defender withdrawal there were a couple times I wanted to throw something.) My wounded troops could easily finish off their remaining wounded next turn with little or no loss, but suddenly they have a full health unit that I'm going to need to sacrifice a couple wounded troops to finish off. Also had same issues as already mentioned by others with gatehouse.

Maybe the solution would be then to make Herbalist heals 10/15% of units BUT with a capped number of units (3 or 5 ?).

Top Bottom