Tech Tree Revisions

My problem with Civ 5 is it seems more limited in its modding flexibility. I would be surprised if anyone creates a mod anything close to ROM or C2C. Civ 5 is still a lot of fun but Civ 4 just seems to do more things right especially when it comes to mods. Where I find Civ 4's greatest strength is in the Civics mechanic which is much better than Civ 5 social policies. Civics can be undone but with Social Policies there is no turning back. Where Civ 5 shines is with Trade Routes and the Faith mechanic.

IMO, the first things I would do with Civ5 is add back health to cities, rework Social Policies to be more of a reward system for high culture (instead of a replacement for civics) then add in Civics again... maybe with a more complex legal system where you can enact individual laws, not sure.

We are way afield though.

IMO, the first things I would do with Civ5 is add back health to cities, rework Social Policies to be more of a reward system for high culture (instead of a replacement for civics) then add in Civics again... maybe with a more complex legal system where you can enact individual laws, not sure..

There already is an excellent mod that puts health back into the game. So that should be easy. But adding Civics?:eek: Good luck with that! You would be a hero to many:) I'll shut up now...I know we're off topic...

I've been really, really looking at the few remaining one-trick techs and seeing if there's a way to salvage them. Over in another thread, Afforess mentioned cutting out Modern Physics. I was a little reluctant to do this because I wasn't sure how removing one of the starting techs of the Modern Era would affect the rest of the tree. I did suggest a rename to Particle Physics, but I think that is much closer to our current Superstring Theory tech. If you look at Civilization 5, Particle Physics comes at the end of the tree just before Future Tech.

So I think that removing Modern Physics completely might be the better option. This would cause any tech that relies on Modern Physics, but not Electronics or Globalization, to fall backward on the Tech Tree by one column. Only five techs are actually affected, and I'd like to adjust at least one of them:
  • Aerodynamics: Requirements become Aviation + Radar. Radar is still at the very end of the Industrial Era, so I don't think there is any danger of jumping from Industrial to Modern too early.
  • Biological Warfare: Requirements become Guerrilla Warfare + Modern Health Care. This keeps it in the same place.
  • Modern Health Care: Requirements become Refrigeration + Logistics. I'd like to just rename this tech to Antibiotics. I don't think tech names should try to be so general that they cover everything associated with the tech; we can hit the high point with a reasonably-specific name and let the tech cover what it needs to (for the record, I despise "X and Y" tech names).
  • Modern Seismology: I'd actually like to get rid of this tech too. It feels like a very narrow topic for a tech. Otherwise, it could easily be changed to Electronics + Sonar and actually stay where it is.
  • Vertical Flight: This drops back a column because Aerodynamics moves back. It actually doesn't change except becoming cheaper because it's in an earlier column.

I'm not a fan of techs with era-specific names, so I'd be good with all of that. Antibiotics are definitely one of the defining discoveries of the 20th Century, so that's as good a name as any.

What does Seismology do? Anything terribly important?

Speaking of Superstring Theory, that tech should be renamed (or removed) as String theory has been largely discredited. The work at CERN with the Higgs Boson has greatly weakened String theory.

What does Seismology do? Anything terribly important?

Right now, Seismology allows building the Groundwater Well and the Modern Mine, provides +1 production and commerce from Wells and Offshore Platforms, and reveals Geothermal Energy and Methane Ice resources. So it's got a healthy trick rating of 4, but I still think it's not a phenomenal tech and the abilities could be parceled out among other techs (especially Ecology).

Speaking of Superstring Theory, that tech should be renamed (or removed) as String theory has been largely discredited. The work at CERN with the Higgs Boson has greatly weakened String theory.

I haven't gotten around to posting the OTP list for the Modern Era yet, but we have a run of late-Modern-Era, content-starved physics techs with Superconductors, Magnetic Levitation, and Superstring Theory that are sharing only 4 pieces of content: Supercollider, Maglev improvement, Great Scientist, and Theory of Everything project. I think we should replace both Magnetic Levitation and Superstring Theory with Particle Physics, give Superconductors the Great Scientist and the Maglev, and Particle Physics gets Supercollider and Theory of Everything. Do you think that would work?

I'd be all for merging Mag.Lev and Superstring techs into one tech :)

I haven't gotten around to posting the OTP list for the Modern Era yet, but we have a run of late-Modern-Era, content-starved physics techs with Superconductors, Magnetic Levitation, and Superstring Theory that are sharing only 4 pieces of content: Supercollider, Maglev improvement, Great Scientist, and Theory of Everything project. I think we should replace both Magnetic Levitation and Superstring Theory with Particle Physics, give Superconductors the Great Scientist and the Maglev, and Particle Physics gets Supercollider and Theory of Everything. Do you think that would work?

I agree. Magnetic Levitation is barely an achievement at all. It's just an application of the theory of electromagnetism, which is nearly as old as electricity.

I think we should replace both Magnetic Levitation and Superstring Theory with Particle Physics, give Superconductors the Great Scientist and the Maglev, and Particle Physics gets Supercollider and Theory of Everything. Do you think that would work?

Definitely. Go for it. :D

When I remapped the tech tree, one of my defining rules was that every tech's column placement corresponds to how difficult it is to reach the tech. Every era is broken into levels, and techs on the same level are assigned to the same column; but if there were 9 or more techs on one level, then I broke the level into two columns so it wouldn't look too packed.

As I'm doing changes to the Modern Era, I have discovered that Modern-5 is only 8 techs strong now: Aquaculture, Counterculture, Fiber Optics, Hydroponics, Microprocessor, Modern Warfare, Recycling, and Satellites. Modern-5 though is currently spread out among columns 41 and 42. What I'm going to do is collapse column 42 (second half of Modern-5) back into column 41 (first half of Modern-5) and then move everything after that backwards 1 column.

I did standardize the costs of all techs in the same column. I won't be changing any tech costs other than the Modern-5 techs that are getting moved. Modern Era techs increase by +250 (base cost) per level, but there will be a jump of 500 between Modern-5 and Modern-6. I don't think it will be significant enough to notice; it's less than 10% of the total cost.

As a thought, I could record some of the quotes for the various added technologies, if you wish. AND doesn't appear to have any non-vanilla voice-acting, so to speak, and I do have the (minimal) experience provided by doing a few quotes for C2C. :)

OK, so we have five techs that are going to get cut out in my next upload, because they simply aren't viable from a content perspective:
  • Elephant Riding
  • Journalism
  • Sonar
  • Vertical Flight
  • Personal Robots

I'd like to take a moment to discuss what I'm going to do once these techs are gone. We will have to do content reassignment and check both the incoming and outgoing arrows to make sure that nothing is left out and techs don't dead-end.

Elephant Riding
  • Content reassignment: Elephant Rider gets reassigned to Horseback Riding. The next two Elephant units (War Elephant, Elephant Bombardier) get moved to Horseback Riding as an additional requirement as well. It is possible to get all the way to Gunpowder without getting even Chariotry, although you would have to be dedicated to do that. The horse-tech chain (Chariotry, HBR, Horse Breeding, Stirrup, Armored Cav, Chivalry) rejoins the rest of the tech tree at Leadership, which is one tech after Gunpowder.
  • Incoming techs: Animal Husbandry is the only tech required for ER. AH is required for Chariotry and is also an OR requirement for Sacrifice and Trade. Losing ER will not hurt AH at all.
  • Outgoing techs: The only tech ER leads to is Armored Cavalry, all the way in the Medieval Era. This is a huge red flag for me whenever a tech's only outgoing point is more than an era away. On the other hand, AC will not miss ER a bit.

Journalism
  • Content reassignment: The Press Agency gets reassigned to Telegraph. The Publishing House gets assigned to Photography. I'm going to go with Photography here just to balance things out; Corporation would be my second choice, but Corporation is in a weird place because it's hard to count one tech being required for virtually all Corporations and Corporate Stores. The only exceptions are the four Modern corps (the three at Tourism and Mapster) along with Universal Soldiers.
  • Incoming techs: This is a big one, as Journalism is the only exit for both Photography and Representative Democracy. I think it would be best to add Rep Dem to the prerequisites for Labor Union and Photography as a prerequisite for Marxism.
  • Outgoing techs: Journalism leads to Marxism and Telegraph. Marxism is already covered; Telegraph would become Railroad + Machine Tools. I just want one more tech between the beginning of the Industrial Era and Telegraph.

Sonar
  • Content reassignment: Sonar promotion gets reassigned to Submarine Warfare. Missile Destroyer gets changed to Semiconductors + Submarine Warfare. The bonuses to Fishing Boats just get dropped. We have a lot of these bonuses, and I think not enough attention was paid to how these bonuses stack.
  • Incoming techs: This is Submarine Warfare's only exit point. I think we should make Modern Seismology require Submarine Warfare, and Radar require Relativity + (Aviation OR Submarine Warfare).
  • Outgoing techs: Sonar leads to both Modern Seismology and Radar. I've covered both of these.

Vertical Flight
  • Content reassignment: Helicopter goes to Aerodynamics. Gunship keeps Modern Warfare. MW is already on the path from Aerodynamics (AD - Jet Propulsion - Supersonic Flight - MW).
  • Incoming techs: VF is straight off Aerodynamics. Aerodynamics is required for both Jet Propulsion and Tourism, so no problems there.
  • Outgoing techs: VF is required for Space Flight and Unmanned Air Vehicles. Most of the other aerospace technologies are already required for Space Flight (Aerodynamics, Jet Propulsion, Advanced Rocketry, Satellites) and Satellites is also required for Communication Networks which is a prerequisite for UAV. Losing VF really makes no difference to these techs.

Personal Robots
  • Content reassignment: There is nothing to reassign; Personal Robots grants +1 happiness per city and +1 production from all improvements in the Cottage line. Both of these can be safely removed.
  • Incoming techs: Personal Robots requires Androids and Plastic Electronics. PE also leads to Nanoelectronics, so that's fine. Androids can step in for Personal Robots for the OR requirements of Artificial Evolution and Mind Uploading. This will need just a little reworking of arrows, but with the current ability to keep the arrows clean, it won't be difficult.
  • Outgoing techs: Personal Robots leads only to Planetary Economics. Planetary Econ has four other required techs, but I'm adding Androids to give Androids a required exit point as the other two exits are OR requirements.

As I was looking at the latest cuts to the tech tree, I noticed that Powered Exoskeleton is only required for Warmachines. Powered Exo is one of the first techs of the Transhuman Era, while Warmachines is really deep in the Transhuman Era. I would like to add Powered Exo to the requirements for Biomimetics, as I think the gross-scale of the exoskeleton makes it a natural prerequisite for the smaller scale of Biomimetics.

I was a bit uncertain about Sonar/VF at first, but after reading through those lat two posts, I don't think it'd be a bad change. Same with Powered Exoskeletons

My problem with Civ 5 is it seems more limited in its modding flexibility. I would be surprised if anyone creates a mod anything close to ROM or C2C. Civ 5 is still a lot of fun but Civ 4 just seems to do more things right especially when it comes to mods. Where I find Civ 4's greatest strength is in the Civics mechanic which is much better than Civ 5 social policies. Civics can be undone but with Social Policies there is no turning back. Where Civ 5 shines is with Trade Routes and the Faith mechanic.

I did find one mod that seems to be Civ 5's version of AND and C2C called fittingly enough Community Call to Power. Haven't played it yet be it looks to be the only super mod for Civ 5 that didn't stop after the first update or two.

Here's something I haven't done lately: a new technology. I think at the moment the tech tree is much better tuned than it was when I started, and we've eliminated a lot of filler and added some new techs that offer much better potential for new content. But I'm not opposed to adding new techs if they fit into the tree and are adequately supported.

The tech I'm looking to add is Patronage. This is used as a tech in History Rewritten and Rhye's and Fall: Dawn of Civilization, and as a Social Policy in Civ5, where I got the idea from. I'm using it in the sense of patronage of artists, not the Roman political sense (which I know is the root, but I can't see that being significant enough to warrant an entire technology).

Patronage
Requirements: Currency AND Guilds AND (Architecture OR Music)
Leads to: Education, Perspective
Allows: Artists Guild (moved from Free Artistry), Artists Master Guild (moved from Music), Itsukushima Shrine (moved from Architecture), Leaning Tower (in addition to Architecture).

Civilopedia screen for Patronage:
View attachment 386286

Patronage on the F6 screen:
View attachment 386285

Here are the reasons I think Patronage is worth including:
  1. The Medieval Era is currently the lightest by tech count. It has only 28 techs, and all other eras have at least 30, with the Industrial Era currently clocking in at 57 techs, more than twice as many. I'm not going to insist that the eras be equal, but I would like the gap to be a little bit narrower. Adding a Medieval tech would help.
  2. Certain techs are magnets for particular types of trick. I've started to consider trick distribution in addition to raw trick count, and I don't like when too many of the same type of trick are attached to the same tech. I think more than 2 World Wonders attached to a tech is a bad thing, and Architecture currently has 4 (Notre Dame, Leaning Tower, Itsukushima, Alhambra). [Masonry currently has the most World Wonders with 5, but all except Sphinx are shared with another tech, so Masonry serves more of as a check that your civilization is advanced enough to build anything large and stone, so I think it's okay.] Patronage will break this up a little by moving Itsukushima and splitting Leaning Tower. Architecture is not redundant as Architecture is an OR requirement for Patronage.
  3. I don't think Currency is as woven into the tech tree as it should be. Currency only leads to Democracy (which in turn isn't necessary for any tech until Political Philosophy in the Renaissance - a jump over an entire era is not a good thing, but I can live with it) and Banking (which is also only necessary for Pol Phil), meaning you can get into the Renaissance Era without Currency. I don't like leaving techs behind this way, so Currency is a prerequisite for Patronage, which is in turn required for Education, which is the great bottleneck tech of the late-Medieval and onward.
  4. Patronage cleans up a few out-of-place buildings; I've never liked Artists Master Guild requiring Music (because Music is Classical Era while guilds are enabled in the Medieval Era) or Artists Guild in the Renaissance Era when everything else with Guild in its name is Medieval. This puts them both in the Medieval Era which I think is a better fit.

That seems very reasonable. Of course, the great painting studios were a part of the Italian Renaissance, but one assumes that people did paint before then, if not on such a huge scale.

Top Bottom