Religion post BNW

McSaucy4418

Chieftain
So I have been messing around quite a bit with the early game in BNW and the number one thing I am having an issue with is grabbing an early religion. I typically play on prince or king since I prefer the more relaxed role-play type game as opposed to the min-maxing of higher difficulties. Nonetheless I am still regularly being beaten to the first few pantheons. In my current game as the shosone on marathon I managed to snag the first pantheon with a faith ruin. I then cycled through techs and culture throwing in two more faith ruins at 190 faith a piece plus two shrines and a few extra faith from desert folklore. Even with all that, Polynesia, England and the Iroquois beat me to a religion. In GnK I was almost always able to grab the first religion assuming the celts or ethiopa weren't in the game. I have yet to do so in a game of BNW which is exceptionally troublesome to me because the AI seems to be much smarter with the beliefs they grab. What can I do to try and beat some of these other civs to an early pantheon and by extension a religion? Please no telling me to play as a faith monger a la the celts or just let someone else found a religion for me.

Grabbing early religion is mostly luck unless you have Ethiopia.

On king/prince you can probably build the Stonehenge by around T50. Start with Tradition opener then go for Piety. Although neither of these are good in the long term considering you have better wonders to build and better social policies to choose from.

I mean luck as in, you have to look at your surroundings. The build order would be: Scout -> Scout -> Worker -> Shrine.

Two scouts maximize your chance to discover faith CS/ruins. They also allow you to quickly see what pantheon you'd need. The next stage of luck is how well the land is for you to get faith pantheons. Desert = godly. Gem/Pearls/Wine/Quarries = Decent. Faith natural wonder = good. And so on.

Religion in BNW seems to play even less of a prominent role. It's good to have good faith by Industrial era, but it's not really important to have an early religion or be a founder of religion. AI will spread religion to your cities before the Industrial era, unless you're totally isolated.

Try allying religious CSs early, attack nearby barb camps and hope.

Also luck based is natural wonders. Some are the equal of stongehenge.

Also, try some of the faith patheons. Desert tiles with Morroco nearly always gets 1st/2nd religion

Top Bottom