Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I'm seperated by an empire from two other empires, at least I think that. The empire that seperates me owns all coastal tiles and all landtiles between me and the other empires, will I lose my resource-trades when I declare war on it? I assume yes, because I'm quite sure that I'll also lose the TRs, but I'm not sure, so I need confirmation.

Tia.

Thanks Isenchine you are right that I only play Vanilla at the moment.
But if I ever play BtS I will have a go at the vanilla and warlords scenarios that you have adapted with your historical bent I bet the scripted events are great.

For the French I would be tempted to flip one of the historically french influenced cities with an event once they start receiving troops.
World building an unreachable initial city to stop the French auto-losing sounds like an excellent solution.

@ Testhero: New Orleans is a candidate to become French again!

You would have to locate the city in the file (vanilla: line 1271) and change "CityOwner=2" to "CityOwner=3". The city would need to produce an "AMREV_UNIT_FRENCH_REGULAR" instead of a Spanish one (l.1275). You would have to do the same to the two units stationed there (a bit above in the file) and replace "UnitType=AMREV_UNIT_SPANISH_REGULAR, UnitOwner=2" by "UnitType=AMREV_UNIT_FRENCH_REGULAR, UnitOwner=3". Of course, make a copy of the original file and keep this one (whatever title) as an alternative scenario.

EDIT: dang! + line 1279, replace "Player2Culture=15" by "Player3Culture=15"!

Not quite historical since the city was ceded to the Spanish in 1763 at the end of the Seven Years' War (before returning briefly to the French in 1802-1803) but plausible anyway.

By the way, my intention so far is just to revive these scenarios through BtS, not adding new events at the moment (unlike the WWI). Although I did revive an event in AmRev that was not activated. Perhaps because it was not working as such and time was running to release Civ4!

Testhero:
New Orleans is a candidate to become French again!

"Vivat la Revolution!" Libertie!" "sortie avec les espagnols"

Code filled
Spoiler :

You would have to locate the city in the file (vanilla: line 1271) and change "CityOwner=2" to "CityOwner=3". The city would need to produce an "AMREV_UNIT_FRENCH_REGULAR" instead of a Spanish one (l.1275).
You would have to do the same to the two units stationed there (a bit above in the file) and replace "UnitType=AMREV_UNIT_SPANISH_REGULAR, UnitOwner=2" by "UnitType=AMREV_UNIT_FRENCH_REGULAR, UnitOwner=3". Of course, make a copy of the original file and keep this one (whatever title) as an alternative scenario.

EDIT: dang! + line 1279, replace "Player2Culture=15" by "Player3Culture=15"!

Not quite historical since the city was ceded to the Spanish in 1763 at the end of the Seven Years' War (before returning briefly to the French in 1802-1803) but plausible anyway.

An act that was entirely unpopular with most of the french living there. Recognition of the French claim to New Orlean's by the succeeding American colonials could have easily touched off another rebellion there.

By the way, my intention so far is just to revive these scenarios through BtS, not adding new events at the moment (unlike the WWI).

With that impressive start allowing BtS players to enjoy the great scenarios that shipped with Vanilla and Warlords I am sure that someone will pick up the torch and expand upon your newly updated work.

Although I did revive an event in AmRev that was not activated. Perhaps because it was not working as such and time was running to release Civ4!

Yes that is why I am sure that the designer of the American rebellion scenario intended it to run the full 100 turns without the time victory activating.
For a rushed release date it has great depth and ambiance.
The trepidation it engenders as your troops approach a city and you wait to see it declare for a side in the rebellion and spawn revolutionary or Loyalist troops to back their declaration is thrilling due to the limited troops available to either side and a tight time limit looming to achieve quite difficult goals.

Another event for AmRev how cool!
I loved the spawning of the American
Spoiler :
privateers at Charleston.
Knowing some general naval history I wasn't caught completely off guard and I had not dispersed the strength of my fleet (which is perhaps slightly too generous on the British side) but it still took me valuable time to run them all down while looking over my shoulder for possible similar historic french adventurism.

Thanks once again Isenchine

New Orleans is a candidate to become French again!
Actually, the city of St Louis could also be French to spice up the thing. Playing as Spanish is less interesting as there are no real events involving them, apart from the declaration of war. I was not sure if you would like the idea otherwise I would have provided you directly with the alternative scenario ready. Anyway, it's interesting to see what's inside that file, no? :scan:

With that impressive start allowing BtS players to enjoy the great scenarios that shipped with Vanilla and Warlords I am sure that someone will pick up the torch and expand upon your newly updated work.
Thanks - I would welcome that in fact and assist if needed.

Could someone refresh my memory, as to if there is a way to see what % of land I control for purposes of future Domination victory in BtS, either with or without the Buffy/HoF mod?

In the upper right corner is "the victory tab" . It has several tabs that compare you with the best civ, so it shows the land, the population, the spaceship parts, the culture, the AP and the UN. You can also open the BUFFY options with Alt + O and set the warning for the land-limit lower, then you'll get a message how much land you own with an exact number of how many tiles you own and how many would trigger domination.

As an addendum to Seraiel's post, IglooDude, the victory tab button looks like a little red fist.

how do i play by email? my freind has a mac and i want to play multiplayer with him, and i wandering how to send the email invite, and if it will even work? im on windows PC and he is on mac

1) How do I play by Email?
My friend has a macApple and I want to play multiplayer with him.
2)I was wandering how to send the email invite?
3)If it will even work?
I am on a windows PC and he is on mac Apple

I don't PBEM myself but there are plenty of folks here that do they hang out at the Multiplayer and PBEM forum here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160

Plenty of advice and information there.

1) IIRC you set up a PBEM game through the Multiplayer screen.
2)You should be able to send an invite as normal from within the Multiplayer screen.

3) I have only heard of a few instances of Apple and Windows being unable to play together. Unless he really has a real original now obsolete Macintosh in which case that is a totally different problem.

There are rumours that the online (steam) versions are more compatible than the retail releases due to better alignment of the patches and updates etc.

You could also look into playing multiplayer using the PitBoss. It creates a civ server that you then both connect too. The PitBoss syncs up your game and you can connect and disconnect as you have time to take turns. Look it up as it might fit your needs better than a PBEM game.

That exhausts my PBEM knowledge hope it helps.
Imp. Knoedel posts here often and plays PBEM games perhaps her Imp. Majesty can be imposed upon to offer you a boon of wisdom

That exhausts my PBEM knowledge hope it helps.
Imp. Knoedel posts here often and plays PBEM games perhaps her Imp. Majesty can be imposed upon to offer you a boon of wisdom

Good to see that I have left a lasting impact on this community. :lol:

Well, I really can't speak for Apple, but basically it works like this:

You set up a PBEM game and make two slots be for humans plus however many AIs you want and set everything like you want it to. You also have to give it a name. Then you start the game. First you are prompted to enter a password, which you probably won't need for a private game like this. You then play your first turn and end it. Once you have done that you get a popup that a savegame has been created which should be sent on to the next player in the turn order. You then send the savegame as an attachement in an email to your mate. You can find the save in a folder named after what you named the game in Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Saves\PBEM\, and that's where all saves you create will be stored. For now there will be only that one save in it, since you have only played that one turn so far. Once your mate has received it they can open it and play their turn, and send their savegame back to you, and so forth.

Again, I don't know if the mac version can play together with the real version, but at any rate your friend should get a real computer.

Although I have only used Single player Saved Games, I have moved them back and forth between my Mac and Windows 7. They work fine going either way.

Imp.K: FWIW, I usually only use the Windows CIV if I want to use a mod that uses the DLL. Otherwise, I use the Mac. The Mac version is much smoother and faster than the Windows one. The only disadvantage is BTS 3.19 still requires the disc to be in the drive for the Mac version.

I have never tried anything else but ancient starts. If playing with a later era start, how are the early religions distributed among player and AI?

They're randomly distributed among the players, I think on T5 so very good chance to get one if you play a map with few opponents.

Top Bottom