A decade of Civ IV - Thank you!

kiwitt

Road to War Modder
When I first saw the early screenshots of Civ IV, I was blown away. I must have that game. I had been playing Civ II and Civ III and all its expansions and Civ IV seemed to add them all together.

Since release, I have effectively been playing it constantly, even making my own mods - Road to War - Historical (Based on Road to War) and Modern Earth (based on Earth 2010). (see sig for links). And I now still play it via PBEM.

I had played the newer Civ V (and expansions), but it has never felt as good as Civ IV. It is not something I can put my finger on what is wrong with it, but it just does not feel as enjoyable. So I continue to play and mod Civ IV, even on my new Windows 10

Yup. congrats on the anniversary, you fine ol' game :D

I remember sitting in the back of a bus, opening the case and looking through the manual with a friend. We couldnt wait the 20 minutes until we were home. Later we were playing on internet cafes until the early mornings, even though we both had a copy on our home PCs. I remember the disappointment of Warlords expansion and the pure joy of BtS.
I remember my first mod, my first published modmod and the fun with all the modmodders of Zapparas Rise of Mankind. And I remember when zappara stopped, and I decided to make my own Vincentz Infinite Projects out of my many, one might say infinite, projects I've made for RoM.

I remember the times when modding was more fun than playing, and I remember the times when playing was more fun than modding.

And I remember thinking that, while there is no such thing as a perfect game, Civ IV is coming damn near close to it.

I had played the newer Civ V (and expansions), but it has never felt as good as Civ IV. It is not something I can put my finger on what is wrong with it

There was no WOW factor. Everything was mediocre. There were no killer resource squares. The only difference was river or no river. BORING

I always summed up the difference quite easily

IV Just a few more turns and then I'll stop tonight.
V I think I'll just go to bed.

Happy birthday, Civ4! :bday:[party]

Thank you Civ IV for all the many hours of actually being a productive human being you took away from me, and the relationships you ruined. You are the best! :D

A quick check of the viewing figures on the forum right now

Civ IV general discussion - 29
Beyond Earth general discusion - 33

Not sure if that's a sign of Civ 4's longevity or BERT's failure to impress, but still, for a 10 year old game to still have support levels like that, shows how good a game it is.

Well, I started playing Civ 4 only last year after hearing that it was better than Civ 5, which I have played for last 5 years.

And truly, once I began playing it I found it to be much better than Civ 5. Civ 5 has many good things too, but the sandbox aspect is gone and there are too many restrictions. It feels more like a high quality board game. Civ 4, on the other hand, is a true playground where enormous number of options and mods are available.

So, in the end, happy birthday to you, Civ 4!

I've only been playing 7 years but I still spend an inordinate amount of time on CivIV and mods thereof. I've played BE and BNW and while I find them enjoyable and with some fun and interesting mechanics, as a whole package they still don't compare.

Hope I'm still able to play CivIV when its 20th rolls around!

Let us each slaughter fifty thousand slaves to celebrate this auspicious occasion.

The great thing about Civilization is the act of playing it is fun. My brother and I started on Civ2 and became disappointed when our game ended. Since then we've turned off all victory conditions and just enjoyed the act of micromanaging our civilizations from stone tools and clubs to just silly stores of guided missiles (I have a real problem).

Thanks for giving us hours of fun Sid!

:hammer:

"This meeting of Civaholics Anonymous will come to order. Our first order of business is to welcome our newest victimmember, 045. Everybody say hi."

cacophony of open borders and resource trade requests, along with Mansa Musa begging to peacevassal

"It has come to our attention that 045 has achieved Step 1 of CivAnon:"

I have a real problem.

"...admitting that you have a problem. And now, everyone tell 045 what Step 2 is."

(All) "Disregard problem, play one more turn!" :w00t:

"Well done. This meeting is adjourned."

[party]:dance::rockon::rockon::band::beer::dance:

It's pretty remarkable that it's been out for ten years. I'm still playing it regularly, and I haven't played Civ V in years....

Ten years for Civ4 already, and it seems like not all that long ago it was Civ3 that had just reached 10 years. It was about a week after release that I bought Civ4, so that means as of tomorrow or so, it'll be 10 years that I've been playing it off and on. And it has indeed become better with time, really coming into its own with Beyond the Sword. I'm pleased that Civ4 also has an active community a decade after its release.

Any thoughts of the Civ4 forums having something like the Anniversary Competition that occurred in the Civ3 forums to commemorate the 10th anniversary? Although it corresponded with my one extended absence from CFC, I think it was a really neat idea to take advantage of the opportunity to look back and celebrate 10 years of creation and creativity surrounding the game, and I know Civ4 also has plenty of material for a similar retrospective.

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

There was no WOW factor (in CiV). Everything was mediocre. There were no killer resource squares. The only difference was river or no river. BORING

Do you know, that's why I almost always play as Spain. Super-powered Natural Wonders make the game almost fun!

But I digress. Happy birthday, CivIV!

The worse thing was when it was being play tested, the mediocre land was criticized constantly but the criticisms were always deflected by saying that was the intention. They were trying to make the land not as important. I never quite understood it.
In CIV IV everyone always says play the map. In V it never seemed to matter since the whole map was always the same ole, same ole.

They just didn't get it.

Top Bottom