Strange behavior with Windows 10

Just moved to Windows 10, and I'm experimenting a strange behavior.

When I start the game, play and then exit, I notice two things:
  1. the game has created the "MyGames" folders tree (with logs and saves folders, among all the other stuff). It is no longer created under "users/myUser/MyDocuments", but instead under "users/myUser/OneDrive/Games".
  2. the CivilizationIV.ini file, that should contain my custom settings (included my last game settings like map script and difficulty level) is deleted and recreated every time I start the game, so every time I have to write my name again and again, and change all my settings.
Even if I am not sure if the nr.1 is actually a problem (well, it's a different folder than usual, but it might work fine anyway), the fact that the .ini settings file is deleted every time is quite irritating (what if I want to configure a mod to be loaded at startup, or to configure autosaves?)

Has anyone faced this kind of problem?
Any hint or resolution?

I am playing Beyond the Sword v.3.19.

There are reasons why I reverted to Win 7 after trying out Win 10 again. I. e.:

1. Windows 7 is faster
2. Windows 7 uses less resources
3. Windows 7 has fewer bugs
4. Windows 7 doesn't wreck ones system every month via enforced driver updates
5. There's nothing one can do with Win 10 that's not possible with Win 7
6. One doesn't have to agree towards Microsoft gaining access to all of ones files and being allowed to do with them whatever they feel is right (no joke, read the EULA you agreed to)
7. Several other reasons

Just do yourself a favour and simply switch to Win 7 if you have the possibility, 8.1 should you not have 7, Windows 10 is nothing more than the largest virus of the world.

There are reasons why I reverted to Win 7 after trying out Win 10 again. I. e.:

1. Windows 7 is faster
2. Windows 7 uses less resources
3. Windows 7 has fewer bugs
4. Windows 7 doesn't wreck ones system every month via enforced driver updates
5. There's nothing one can do with Win 10 that's not possible with Win 7
6. One doesn't have to agree towards Microsoft gaining access to all of ones files and being allowed to do with them whatever they feel is right (no joke, read the EULA you agreed to)
7. Several other reasons

Just do yourself a favour and simply switch to Win 7 if you have the possibility, 8.1 should you not have 7, Windows 10 is nothing more than the largest virus of the world.

Agreed. I am not impressed at all with Windows 10. I am considering buying a Steam Machine and using the Steam OS to play Civ as well as Paradox Interactive games. Hopefully cIV works well on that. :)

Steam isn't exactly better in terms of what it does on your machine, restrictions, DRM, all that crap, so that's something I'd never want to infect my computer with.

ViterboKnight, there is a thread in this section ("Can't find AutoSaveInterval line?") with a similar problem where f1rpo posted a tentative solution: here.

No idea if it works. Otherwise, perhaps with a batch file to load the exe and your ini (not that I know how to do that).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PS/Edit: I had another idea but it doesn't work out fully.

Although...

I copied all the data of the CivilizationIV.ini into the ini of my Mod. The game still read it from My Documents and did not overwrite the values with the ones from the Mod. However, I was slightly surprised to see that the ini in my Mod had kept all the data I added.

Now, I don't have your problem (I'm on either Vista, Win7 or 8). If I delete the CivilizationIV.ini, the game creates a new one, full, with some default values. I wonder what would happen when the CivilizationIV.ini does not retain all the data, if the one from the Mod would be read instead. I don't see how I could test that, I leave it to you! :D

Win7, Win 8.1, and Win 10 look same to me, tryed them all(Also XP) on same pc
Had zero problems running Civ4 BTS with Win10

The only 2 improvments in Win10 compare to Win7 that i saw was MUCH faster disk defrag speed and also ability to defrag drive with not much disk space and much faster disk errors check.

Most stable OS is WinXP proly, the only problems with XP is slower loading screens, slower software installing and slower files copying, WinXP FPS usually much highter than Win7/8.1/10 one in most games if you have about 2gb ram for example

the game has created the "MyGames" folders tree (with logs and saves folders, among all the other stuff). It is no longer created under "users/myUser/MyDocuments", but instead under "users/myUser/OneDrive/Games".
Didnt had this thing it was something like c:\Users\Name\myDocs\mygames\bts\saves\ to me, similar to win7
Windows 7 have so called "spying" also with new Win7 updates

Windows 7 have so called "spying" also with new Win7 updates

That's why I didn't install those :) . Microsoft tries every week to get them through to me under a new number, but I have gone over to only install the updates I need for the security of my system or the ones that don't hurt my privacy ^^ .

Don't use Windows 10 or 8! Switch to Windows 7 or Mac, hell, even DOS! (I am aware of compatibility issues, and if you take it seriously, maybe you should get a GUI!)

I will not use that turd called windows 10.

Also, peeps claim win 7 is bad because it is it's extended support phase. That is another way of saying it is complete.

Windows 7:
Can do everything win 10 can
Is faster
Has built in emulators for all windows stuff from as far back as windows 95
windows 10 doesn't go back as far as Vista (I think) unless it started from windows 7 and was "upgraded"

As for windows 8, like windows 7 but a failure.

Top Bottom