Random Events

...So I would like to see some small and insignificant events like this, simply because it would add some flavor and variation to the game. But larger events like "your whole army randomly disappears" is not fun, realistic or not.

Yeah...maybe a bit much....but some variation on this.... There are real-life precedents which had such dramatic effects the impact has come down to us today....

Although it is arguable whether it was the weather, the "skillsets" of the leader of the Germanic tribes, or some combination of the two, the Battle of Teutoburg Forest ....2,000 years ago....saw 10% of the entire empire-wide Roman Army wiped-out....and it set the cultural boundary between the Germanic and Latin worlds where it still more or less is today.....

Not entirely familiar with how the random events worked in Civ4, but it sounds like pretty much all (or the overwhelming majority) were Bad Things Happened. Wouldn't there also be a fair number of Good Things Happened too? Something like, "Gold Rush! pumps up the Economy, adding 1,000 gold to the national Treasury." Or "Discovery of New World spurs Scientific speculations. Gain 500 Research points."

Yes, there were a number of good events also. I don't have a full list of all events, maybe someone has one listed somewhere?

Wow, so many events! :eek: Thanx for linking me to the list, many of them I remember, some of them I think I never saw.

Wow, so many events! :eek: Thanx for linking me to the list, many of them I remember, some of them I think I never saw.

Some of them are extremely rare/difficult to get. I've never got all of either.

[...]
BTW, I consider your whole philosophy of deterministic strategy to be ... specious. As if you would prefer there not be a RNG involved.

Some people like games with a lot of RNG (dice games / card games / soccer :cool:)

To me, the better games have very little to no random factor included.
Take Chess for example, or the game of Go. Is there anything random involved, apart from the players choices?
Actually there is. Do you start with the whites or the blacks? :)

Anyways, I would prefer Civilization to be cleaned of RNG as much as possible.
A few examples:
  • Combat probability
  • Great People generation chance
  • Mines popping resources
By the way I know only Civ4. Nevermind me :sheep:

Some people like games with a lot of RNG (dice games / card games / soccer :cool:)

Take Chess for example, or the game of Go. Is there anything random involved, apart from the players choices?

A few examples:
  • Combat probability

Why not also get rid of random continent and resource generation and have just one map (like chess)...sounds boring to me. The random element is what keeps me playing.

A few examples:
  • Combat probability

Um, then what do you propose to use for a 4x game then? Little confused on your ambiguity.

Combat probability- How do you propose to resolve this? especially with terrain, unit experience, unit type (and counter), and several other factors that I'm probably missing.

GP; I am not sure I understand this. If this is taken away, what is the point of specializing your cities in order to promote specific GP pop?

Mines; Really? you want to take away a potential critical resource from your Empire that your slaves... err, workers have been sweating their collective pickaxes on? seems just down right mean if you ask me :)

RNG; I've lost count of how many "AYFKM", WTF", "BS", and "Your mother was a hamster, and your father stank of elderberry" moments I have had in my 20+ years of Civving ( and yes, I'm also a union member of the spear vs tank club). That is just part of Civ, and while I can certainly understand the frustration part (Been there sooo many times :cry:), and wouldn't mind it being cleaned up a bit, Taking it away entirely would make the game boring.

Um, then what do you propose to use for a 4x game then? Little confused on your ambiguity.

Combat probability- How do you propose to resolve this? especially with terrain, unit experience, unit type (and counter), and several other factors that I'm probably missing.

GP; I am not sure I understand this. If this is taken away, what is the point of specializing your cities in order to promote specific GP pop?

Mines; Really? you want to take away a potential critical resource from your Empire that your slaves... err, workers have been sweating their collective pickaxes on? seems just down right mean if you ask me :)

On combat probability, I'm presuming he's saying that instead of doing 20-30 damage in this attack, the game tells you that you will do 28 damage and no randomness about it. That way you don't have the spear vs tank situations :p

You're misunderstanding him on the GP issue; it's not that he doesn't like GPs being made in cities, or cities specializing. It's things like in CiV, when you have the required Faith to get a GP and you wait 5 turns before getting it, in which time 3 religions have been founded and you've lost out on all the good beliefs for no reason whatsoever. Why not make it when you reach 200 faith, you get a GP? Not sure what the chance adds.

As to mines; why? What does it add?

On combat probability, I'm presuming he's saying that instead of doing 20-30 damage in this attack, the game tells you that you will do 28 damage and no randomness about it. That way you don't have the spear vs tank situations :p

You're misunderstanding him on the GP issue; it's not that he doesn't like GPs being made in cities, or cities specializing. It's things like in CiV, when you have the required Faith to get a GP and you wait 5 turns before getting it, in which time 3 religions have been founded and you've lost out on all the good beliefs for no reason whatsoever. Why not make it when you reach 200 faith, you get a GP? Not sure what the chance adds.

As to mines; why? What does it add?

On the CP; Ok, so if a unit does 28pts of dam no matter what, then why bother having terrain mods, unit exp, promo's, etc? as to the spear vs tank, lol, I'm rather used to it by now. And to be honest, I kind of like have that Vegas Odds chance of taking out MR. Bad Ass Unit before he steam rolls my empire (quite a few historical references allude to this as well).

As to the GP issue, I haven't upgraded to GNK ( I was basing my info off of Civ IV, apologies), so I will bow to your expertise.

Mines; Ok, so early game and your surrounded by warmonger civs and have no iron. You get dowed and are on the defensive. Your telling me you wouldn't be happy that your miners discovered a new source iron as Monty is about ready to sacrifice your population for his alters?

granted, rare scenario, but it happens. TBH, one of my biggest gripes in CIV V has been the lack luster thought concerning resources and how they are handled throughout the game.

Why not also get rid of random continent and resource generation and have just one map (like chess)...sounds boring to me. The random element is what keeps me playing.

Indeed.
Let`s use renting a flat as an example of strategy (really more logistics, but whatever). You have enough money for your food and bills and miscellaneous wants. But are you prepared for the random event?

...Your days goes by with your perfect plan working perfectly... Suddenly, the lights go out due to a power failure at the powerplant. A reasonable strategist will have some candles ready or go get some means for light, heat etc, a bad strategist will whine and sit in the dark until day-light.

A few examples:
  • Combat probability
I would like to bring in an example from one of the other games I have played a lot, namely Heroes of Might and Magic. When UbiSoft and underlings were developing Heroes 6, they chose to get rid of a lot of randomness because there were some people who thought that "randomness is bad in a strategy game" - for instance, they made skills completely free choice instead of the pick from a semi-randomly chosen group that was in previous installments. In advance many people thought it would be great, but after release it turned out that it removed a lot of replayability from the game and very quickly reduced to cookie-cutter games that always followed the same path. I'm not saying that this was the only flaw with Heroes 6 (because there were many), but it was definitely a major one, so while I do agree that one has to be careful with where to introduce it, I don't think the idea that less is better is true when it comes to randomness - not even in strategy games.

Terrain, unit experience, unit types and counters, and many other combat factors are not even slightly random (maybe xp is random in V? I forget). The main random outcome is the actual combat. Even with minimal testing I can see how a deterministic model is workable, but that's true even more so in Civ V where both units can survive a combat. If damage were fixed based on strength variance, I'm willing to bet most casual players and even some very experienced ones would take a while to notice it. RNG combat is less of a factor in V anyway. It matters, but far less so due to the consistency of unit survival with a str and positioning advantage.

RNG combat is like RNG growth, RNG building costs per city, RNG ability to declare war this turn, RNG diplo disposition, RNG tech cost. I still find it really silly that the majority of the community would balk at their city randomly shrinking for 5 turns straight, but has no problem with RNG combat outcomes in civ. Virtually every non-player-choice aspect in civ games outside of combat and map generation is deterministic, and for good reason.

What hasn't been demonstrated is a good reason combat and other random factors must be in the game, or what precisely they add. There is an important reason I made up the rules for events earlier in this thread; precisely to tie them into strategy and thus execute them well. Events should have little-to-no chance of determining who wins the map, unless someone routinely reacts better to them than the opposition. Lumping outcomes on a one or very few random rolls is a travesty that flies in the face of a "strategy" tag.

That is just part of Civ, and while I can certainly understand the frustration part (Been there sooo many times ), and wouldn't mind it being cleaned up a bit, Taking it away entirely would make the game boring.

Not a fair assumption to make. Virtually nobody has played a civ game without them. The status quo is all that is typically pictured. Unexpected opponent choices and different terrains/situations/civs would do plenty to create a dynamic model. Some of the most difficult and in-game rewarding behavior in civ is micro optimization. Civ V actually nerfed that down considerably (making it "easier" from a calculation standpoint, though one could argue whether heavy mathematical planning is fun), and as such it falls back on the old civ favorite that applies to all games: AI abuse :D.

On the CP; Ok, so if a unit does 28pts of dam no matter what, then why bother having terrain mods, unit exp, promo's, etc

More or less damage. If the target is on a hill, maybe you do 20 points of damage, or whatever as multipliers are applied. It wouldn't surprise me if damage were already calculated this way, with the random modifier applied afterwards. After all, combat damage is already capped to some extent; you don't have a full health spear 1-shotting a full health tank these days ;). Combat has already trended away from RNG to a degree.

Mines; Ok, so early game and your surrounded by warmonger civs and have no iron. You get dowed and are on the defensive. Your telling me you wouldn't be happy that your miners discovered a new source iron as Monty is about ready to sacrifice your population for his alters?

Relying on your opponent to be awful and not either capture your city before you can build/buy a unit or pillage you to death isn't exactly a good application of RNG ;). There's always that "balanced resources" option, amirite :D? I'm still butthurt that Civ IV didn't make it mandatory, and instead went in the wrong direction and banned it, but that's a story for another time.

Indeed.
Let`s use renting a flat as an example of strategy (really more logistics, but whatever). You have enough money for your food and bills and miscellaneous wants. But are you prepared for the random event?

...Your days goes by with your perfect plan working perfectly... Suddenly, the lights go out due to a power failure at the powerplant. A reasonable strategist will have some candles ready or go get some means for light, heat etc, a bad strategist will whine and sit in the dark until day-light.

Still waiting on any answer at all for my earlier *strategy* gameplay arguments ;).

Top Bottom