Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Got this game yesterday and I'm loving it so far but I don't understand one thing. I have a normal colony bunched around 2 native tribes. Each tribe has 2 settlements and so far I've put a mission on only one city per tribe. I would like to put a mission on all 4 settlements (my founding fathers and such have encouraged it) but when I put my jesuit missionary in a native settlement that doesn't have a mission (from any European, I've checked), it doesn't give me the option to build the mission. I went through the book and it explicitly says you can have one mission per settlement. What am I doing wrong?!

Can you get a founding father if you have rejected them once?
[EDIT]
And, is there a list somewhere of how you get each type of founding father point?

1. No.
2. In the Civilopedia

Another question, what happens when 1 cities independence support reaches 100%? Do more bells have any effect in that city?

Another question, what happens when 1 cities independence support reaches 100%? Do more bells have any effect in that city?

As far as I can tell, not really - though I would think it should allow the borders to keep expanding - not sure though.

What it DOES do is anger the king more and more. So if you haven't declared revolution, it's a good idea to shuttle your people around a bit.

What about "Continental" army, as in Col1? I remember, that there after revolution you could upgrade your petty Soldiers and Dragoons to mighty Continental Infantry and Cavalry. No sign of this here..

Okay I am SURE I am missing something really obvious.

How do you move your unit with the numpad like in regular Civ4? I can't figure out how to move without clicking the Move icon and then on a square on the map. Of course, this prevents attacking anything.

Couldn't find anything in the settings for this. :<

I found that upgrading my citizens to soldiers at the end of the game is a very tedious process. I often have one hub city where enough weapons are produced every turn to equip many soldiers, so I bring my citizens to one city. Next I have to double-click each and every one of them, and then select the soldier or dragoon profession.

Isn't there a quicker way to equip an entire population?

Why Washington when the other factions have leaders more appropriate to the early colonization of the Americas?

I have a warehouse expansion... and I understand it should work like a custom house. But it is very random, and doesn't sell ALL of the exess. Just 12 or 13 gold worth... I should be rich. Errr, story of my life...

What are the mechanics of missions? Is there a global or local drop in rate like everything else?

Can you send a Jesuit Missionary to a village after you've already sent a regular missionary in order to get an even better mission/conversion rate? Or is it just one Mission trip per village?

Do petty criminals and indentured servants get any negatives as missionaries, or are they just as good as regular colonists?

Will sending missionaries noticeably improve relations with the natives?

Can you still start a revolution of your own after the AI has won the game through independance? I've just managed to get over 50% (after the AI had already won) by building 4 small cities, getting them newspapers and dropping three elder statesmen in them. Unfortunately I can't find the "Start Revolution" button anywhere.

(And to be honest, I felt that it really sucked that the only way I managed to get over 50% with this vast army of revolutionaries that I had was to build some useless cities that have no function whatsoever and that do not find the fantasy of this game. Not a fun mechanic IMHO. I'll try the mods by Ellestar and Dale/Snoopy next game.)

1. You get money from trading with the indians and such.
2. You need to buy from them also. Raw materials, things you can make more money trading with europe, etc.
3. Only if you can sell them to the Indians; in general, stop doing that and just go all-guns-and-horses-all-the-time.

If you choose Monarchy in your declaration fo independence, you can still tarde with Europe durign and after the revolutionary war. However, due to careless programming, you can't trade in the goods the king curtailed trading in, and you still have to pay taxes! As if you sauntered into his port city to trade while the war is going on.

Can you still start a revolution of your own after the AI has won the game through independance? I've just managed to get over 50% (after the AI had already won) by building 4 small cities, getting them newspapers and dropping three elder statesmen in them. Unfortunately I can't find the "Start Revolution" button anywhere.

(And to be honest, I felt that it really sucked that the only way I managed to get over 50% with this vast army of revolutionaries that I had was to build some useless cities that have no function whatsoever and that do not find the fantasy of this game. Not a fun mechanic IMHO. I'll try the mods by Ellestar and Dale/Snoopy next game.)

No, here you have to come first, or you lose. In the original game, you could start a revolution even if you weren' the first one to become independent, but your score was reduced. And in that game, your AI rivals didn't have to fight a revolutionary war; they simply became independent when they had attained a certain number of people who wanted independence.

I think one should be able to start a revolution even if one doesn't come first, but I am glad that the mechanism whereby an AI colonizer could win without fighting a war is gone.

I found that upgrading my citizens to soldiers at the end of the game is a very tedious process. I often have one hub city where enough weapons are produced every turn to equip many soldiers, so I bring my citizens to one city. Next I have to double-click each and every one of them, and then select the soldier or dragoon profession.

Isn't there a quicker way to equip an entire population?

Hit alt+p instead. Still have to pick from the list, but it's a bit faster.

Re: why Washington - well for historical reasons, pick your own argument as to why, but when I realized how awesome it is to get soldiers for only 25 muskets, I was sold on him for like, forever.

Top Bottom