It's too easy to make civs dow on other civs

bluefeli

Chieftain
I was playing Sweden in immortal.

About 900 AC.. Khan's huge army was marching toward my cites.

I expected It could be hard time to fight against him.

At the time, I met Khan and made him dow on other civ near by him.

And It was working!! with about value of 300 gold!!

Just 300 gold!!

And about 1600 AC.. I was a king of the world.. And 3 big civs hated me

I expected they'll declare war on me together..

And I met one of them.. and I made her(spain) dow on other two civs..

with about value of 400 gold each!!

I feel like Her army is mine. And It's cheaper than unit maintenance.

We can't get resource from them who hates us with cheaper gold.

But We can make them attack even if they hate us with a little gold.

It makes game too easy like cheat, Isn't it?

sorry for my bad english

I think you got lucky. I've found out that bribing AIs into declaring wars is prety expensive unless they already hate/are plotting against/are sure of their victory against the one you are trying to get to fight a war.

I've had AIs suck my coffers dry and demand luxes I have only 1 copy left when I've tried to bribe them. Then again I had Ganghis declare war on one of his neighbours for 1 Gold and Ivory. No, not gold per turn. Flat one (1) gold.

I guess sometimes it's too easy and sometimes, well, hard enough.

unless they already hate/are plotting against/are sure of their victory against the one you are trying to get to fight a war.

Oh I see that's why it was easy! I keep eyes on them when they hate other AIs! :goodjob:

How much AIs want for being bribed to declare war on another Civ really depends on who they're declaring against. If it's against an ally, they'll refuse. If it's against someone they're neutral with, it'll generally be a high price. If it's against someone who they hate, or were going to go to war with anyway, the price is low.

How much AIs want for being bribed to declare war on another Civ really depends on who they're declaring against. If it's against an ally, they'll refuse. If it's against someone they're neutral with, it'll generally be a high price. If it's against someone who they hate, or were going to go to war with anyway, the price is low.

I think it also has a lot to do with the relative strenght of the two civilizations in question. For example I've never succeeded into bribing anyone into declaring war with a civilization that has nuclear weapons no matter how much the two of them hate each other.

It makes a ton of sense.

The trick is to bribe them into war as early as you can at some point when it's not to too expensive. Easier if you have an aggressive civ to bribe.

Once you have got them fighting in the past, they have negative modifiers towards one another, and it's cheaper to keep on bribing them in the future.

In one game I spawned right next to Genghis and he just spewed units. I figured, war for sure. But nope--it was so cheap to keep on bribing him to go to war that I was able to get universities up before I finally decided to let him attack.

All the previous times he started building up armies near my border, I was either able to bribe him to go to war, or one of the civ's he had previously warred with.

Really ? I often find it hard to find allies in declaring war against other Civ,
once I had a game as Carthage, and I have the Celts, Byzantines, and China as my ally; we all commonly hate England who is allied with almost all of the city-states in the game. The English also took some Byzantine and Celtic cities in series of wars,

By the time I was prepared for an all out invasion against England, none of my allies would want to attack England despite all their hatred against it, I have lots of gold and resources but yet they don't want it at all.

Me too, I have never managed to get anyone to agree, must try people who dislike each other for starters.

Isn't there a diplo demerit with the target of your war bribe?

Nope. :D Whether there should be or not is another question. I think it'd be awesome if spies could try to collect information on war bribes. That would make it so bribes are still a powerful tool, but if you're found out, there are real, major diplomatic consequences, especially if you bribed a DoW ON your friend.

Oh Thx for good information :)

I think it also has a lot to do with the relative strenght of the two civilizations in question. For example I've never succeeded into bribing anyone into declaring war with a civilization that has nuclear weapons no matter how much the two of them hate each other.

It makes a ton of sense.

Oh that's a new thing I have to know! They don't want to be messed up by nuclear weapons! XD

The trick is to bribe them into war as early as you can at some point when it's not to too expensive. Easier if you have an aggressive civ to bribe.

Once you have got them fighting in the past, they have negative modifiers towards one another, and it's cheaper to keep on bribing them in the future.

In one game I spawned right next to Genghis and he just spewed units. I figured, war for sure. But nope--it was so cheap to keep on bribing him to go to war that I was able to get universities up before I finally decided to let him attack.

All the previous times he started building up armies near my border, I was either able to bribe him to go to war, or one of the civ's he had previously warred with.

It's the best strategy! :goodjob:

Really ? I often find it hard to find allies in declaring war against other Civ,
once I had a game as Carthage, and I have the Celts, Byzantines, and China as my ally; we all commonly hate England who is allied with almost all of the city-states in the game. The English also took some Byzantine and Celtic cities in series of wars,

By the time I was prepared for an all out invasion against England, none of my allies would want to attack England despite all their hatred against it, I have lots of gold and resources but yet they don't want it at all.

When I could make Khan DOW on other civ, I thought cuz of his aggressive character. But It was working to Isabella... I'll see it next game.. it's working or not.. :nuke:

Nope. :D Whether there should be or not is another question. I think it'd be awesome if spies could try to collect information on war bribes. That would make it so bribes are still a powerful tool, but if you're found out, there are real, major diplomatic consequences, especially if you bribed a DoW ON your friend.

How is it not super common for people to chain bribe then, like it being part of basically every game of civ V that has more than 1-2 other civs ^_^? This was part of high level play even in IV, when there was a penalty. If you have none in V, then the general course would be:

1. Civ B bribed to DoW Civ A, which is weak or already a target.
2. Civ C bribed on Civ B, which is an easier target due to being at war, or hated for taking cities from A.
3. Civ D bribed on Civ A, B, or C as convenient

Then once everyone hates each other and won't sign any DoF ever, grab a few "friends" (some of which you made war targets) and RA away. Obviously if anyone actually starts taking cities he's a warmongering menace to the world and needs to be dogpiled :mischief:.

If the target civ is perceived as weak and/or is hated(warmonger hate) then you'll easily bride other civs to :c5war: your target(unless they have a DOF).

I usually check the diplo screen to see what the relationships are with my target and I go through every civ asking if they want to DOW my target, they might say no. I then hit the trade button. It's amazing to see how little you can get away with. If they ask for strategic resources check they actually want those resources by canceling the :c5war: deal and go through each resource asking "what will you give me for this...". Each strategic resource is 45 :gold:, open borders is 50 :gold:

Just in my last game, I had Alex coming with quite the army against my two cities, guarded by my 2 lonely warriors and 2 spearmen. Yes, Alex had riflemen, and frigates.

He wanted 40 gpt against 3 civs, 15 against 2 civs and 10 against Spain, though. I opted for a 15 gpt against Babylon just because army took a detour on the water right in front of Nabu's cities. Alex hated my guts, for no reason, but we became best buddies 5 turns later when I went Autocracy, just like him. He's been helping me win ever since.

Then again, I had China as my neighbour, and absolutely nothing managed to convince that Freedom loving nation to go in a different direction. I had to upgrade my "lol-army". And buy bombers. And in 10 turns time I need to buy 5 city states. From Alex.

I should move up to Immortal. When you don't build walls anymore, Emperor is just too easy.

Having to build a wall is a sign you are playing it too close to the line. I always kind of feel it's a setback if I am forced to buy a wall.

Top Bottom