Final Frontier Demo Up!!!!

Couple questions. Will the mod be fully open for modding and customization? And will development and patches continue for FF after release?

Very very nice Trip! I've played two full demos and will play a third directly after writing this post.

As others have said I would also like to see planetary descriptions in the civilopedia. Mouseovers on the map would be great, but civilopedia info would at least be a big help. And within the system (city) screen, mouseovers for the planets would also be helpful.

Is the tech tree etc in the demo the full game? Or is there more?

Wow - You are a celebrity, Mr Jon Shafer! Can I have your autograph please?

Mine came with the computer, something like an "Intel Totally Exteme Graphics to-the-Max 2000".

I understand it's a lousy card for gaming, and causes other display problems with Civ IV but I've never seen the game crash like this.

I assumed it was something like the Mehmed II problem, but this doesn't seem to effect as many people.
I'll see if I can find any more information about this. Prior to release no one had any problems. If anyone else has issues with the leaderheads please let me know.

Jon

Couple questions. Will the mod be fully open for modding and customization? And will development and patches continue for FF after release?
Yes, you can mod Final Frontier as much as you'd like. Some of it is pretty complex though (mainly the Python stuff).

There will be further updates to Final Frontier with any future patches. I may also release unofficial updates here at CFC if I have time.

Very very nice Trip! I've played two full demos and will play a third directly after writing this post.

As others have said I would also like to see planetary descriptions in the civilopedia. Mouseovers on the map would be great, but civilopedia info would at least be a big help. And within the system (city) screen, mouseovers for the planets would also be helpful.
Yeah, I'm going to do something about this and it will be in a future patch.

By the way... for people who have bought the retail version of the game, is the tutorial pop-up text appearing when you mouse over things in the city screen? Is the Tutorial option set to on in the Options Screen?

Is the tech tree etc in the demo the full game? Or is there more?
The tech tree in the demo is the same as the full mod. The only "difference" is that players can't get to the end in the demo.

Jon

Excellent game and I'm looking forward to trying out the full version. I'm also hoping that in the city screen the planets will show their yeild without having to click on them. I find myself clicking planets like crazy to remember. How hard would it be to put a text box popup when you mouse over them?

Excellent job on this mod Jon! :clap:

FF in BTS is a full version?

I'm having a problem with the FF Demo.

When the game starts (after the 2K screen and the Nvidia commercial) python exceptions keep popping up.

---
Python Exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in ?
Import Error: No module named Archipelago

---
Then another window pops up:
---
Python Exception
Failed to load python module Archipelago

---
These messages repeat for EVERY map type I've got (including Tectonics), and start at Archipelago again, and so on and so forth...

Anyone got a clue as to what I can do?

Try the Fractal map. That is the only one listed in the ini file.

I never had the option to choose maps?
Just Civ and difficulty. Everything esle was forced.
Are you running the demo from the shortcut that was installed with the demo?

I've been playing FF full, and I must say, I really can't wait to see what either Jon or other modders can do with this to work off..

first of all: seems like a great job. even though the 100 turns didn't allow for fulle exploration of all aspects the civilopedia indicates what would still be coming and that seems very promising. good job.

The color of the Stars is irrelevant. However, the colors of the planets indicate their type which determines the amount of food/production/commerce they produce. At the very least I'll probably add something to the Civilopedia in the future to list what planets give what.

Jon

that would be grand. any tweaks and updates would really help. maybe the only problematic point is the fiddling in the system. like determining which planet you want to build what on. I am not sure, is there an option to queue multiple buildings on multiple planets? and what is the order of alignment mean? why are some planets in the frist row, some in the second? don't mistake me, those are just very minor issues.

Try the Fractal map. That is the only one listed in the ini file.

No, it happens before the main menu. In warlords it would have been the screen before the intro movie.

I never had the option to choose maps?
Just Civ and difficulty. Everything esle was forced.
Are you running the demo from the shortcut that was installed with the demo?

From the shortcut installed. And tried it both as administrator and regular user. Maybe I'll try the exe directly, but I can't see what difference it'll make...

The tech tree in the demo is the same as the full mod. The only "difference" is that players can't get to the end in the demo.

Jon

What do you mean? You can easily get to the end--you just need to change the game speed to quick in the map file (and be on settler of course). I've already gotten diplomatic and cultural/influence (it's only 2500 on quick, and with the beacons and all the religions/values it's very easy) victories on the base file with that being the only change, and space/astral with only minor cheats (I gave myself all the starting techs, revealed the map and got extremely lucky with the goody huts/space wreckage). I'd assume domination would be easy too--it's only about 30% of land area.

Notes:
Starbases seem to be useless--do they really need to cost money, cost a worker, and take time to build? (though I haven't used their military functions yet).
New Earth seems to be the best, at least in the demo (where you need to jump out quickly).

Starbases have a two tile border which allow you to access asteroid resources early. And they bombard units and auto manufacture missiles. I see them as being forts they way that forts should have been implemented in CivIV. I think they would be useful in a variety of different situations. I agree that there costs are high though. But I have only played a couple demo games so far.

What do you mean? You can easily get to the end--you just need to change the game speed to quick in the map file (and be on settler of course). I've already gotten diplomatic and cultural/influence (it's only 2500 on quick, and with the beacons and all the religions/values it's very easy) victories on the base file with that being the only change, and space/astral with only minor cheats (I gave myself all the starting techs, revealed the map and got extremely lucky with the goody huts/space wreckage). I'd assume domination would be easy too--it's only about 30% of land area.

Notes:
Starbases seem to be useless--do they really need to cost money, cost a worker, and take time to build? (though I haven't used their military functions yet).
New Earth seems to be the best, at least in the demo (where you need to jump out quickly).

I think the fact that you are playing on Quick speed is kinda making starbases look useless. I played the demo on the normal speed and my cultural borders never spread far enough to get at the resources. I have to build the starbase to get those resources into my borders.

Top Bottom