Gods of Old

So to win a religious victory you could found 2 religions in 2 cities then let a barb raze one of those 2?

Nah, at least it isn't that difficult, Inquisitor units act like ANTI-MISSIONARIES, sacrifice them to remove all religions but your current state religion in a city.

I love this mod, though I wish the standard random events still occurred. Anyway, since I usually play as China, one of the religions very nicely complement their UU.

I love this mod, though I wish the standard random events still occurred. Anyway, since I usually play as China, one of the religions very nicely complement their UU.

I'm pretty sure the default game events are still in there. I play this mod almost exclusively and have had plenty of random events and quests (I thought it was this mod at least). Actually I still think this is true as if you look at where the events would be handled in the mod that file is MISSING...which I think means that the mod just uses the default events. If this mod were to have NO EVENTS I'm sure they would have included at least a dummy version of that XML file with no events.

I've never had any random events, and the Civ4EventInfos XML in the mod is only this:

Spoiler :
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- edited with XMLSpy v2005 rel. 3 U (http://www.altova.com) by Soren Johnson (Firaxis Games) -->
<!-- edited with XMLSPY v2004 rel. 2 U (http://www.xmlspy.com) by Ed Piper (Firaxis Games) -->
<!-- Sid Meier's Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword -->
<!-- Copyright Firaxis Games 2006 -->
<!-- -->
<!-- Event Infos -->
<Civ4EventInfos xmlns="x-schema:CIV4EventSchema.xml">
<EventInfos/>
</Civ4EventInfos>

Which I'm fairly sure makes it that dummy file you were talking about.

EDIT: Also, I don't think the default events would work properly anyway, since the religions and religious buildings are classified differently.

I've never had any random events, and the Civ4EventInfos XML in the mod is only this:

Spoiler :
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- edited with XMLSpy v2005 rel. 3 U (http://www.altova.com) by Soren Johnson (Firaxis Games) -->
<!-- edited with XMLSPY v2004 rel. 2 U (http://www.xmlspy.com) by Ed Piper (Firaxis Games) -->
<!-- Sid Meier's Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword -->
<!-- Copyright Firaxis Games 2006 -->
<!-- -->
<!-- Event Infos -->
<Civ4EventInfos xmlns="x-schema:CIV4EventSchema.xml">
<EventInfos/>
</Civ4EventInfos>

Which I'm fairly sure makes it that dummy file you were talking about.

EDIT: Also, I don't think the default events would work properly anyway, since the religions and religious buildings are classified differently.

Ouch, okay, you may be right then. I've been playing this and the Next War mod almost exclusively...perhaps I only had events in Next War mod then. Well, GRRR.

Ramesses II is a beast on this mod, with all the Great Prophet points he can get from the obelisk and quick wonders.

How about the Byzantines? They sound pretty good in this mod too.

Ouch, okay, you may be right then. I've been playing this and the Next War mod almost exclusively...perhaps I only had events in Next War mod then. Well, GRRR.

... Am I the only one thinking of the possibilities of a combined Next War/Gods of Old? Dreadnoughts of Ki!

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to go about doing that...

... Am I the only one thinking of the possibilities of a combined Next War/Gods of Old? Dreadnoughts of Ki!

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to go about doing that...

Nope, we are MANY. Dennis Moore still is credited with the best name for this potential hybrid mod, "Mechs o' Potamia"!

Nope, we are MANY. Dennis Moore still is credited with the best name for this potential hybrid mod, "Mechs o' Potamia"!

Thank you, but I must however give some credit to the Jon Stewart show, as his regular updates on the Iraqi war are headlined "Mess O'Potamia".

Gods of Old is cool. But i built the shrine of Inana and im kinda of disapointed, i cant seem to cast any kind of cataclism with my great prophets, and all i get is 1 xp from my temples. Also, i had this problem:

A Tsunami reduced my city to size zero. It stills produces some gold, beakers and culture, but the production has stopped and, well, its kinda of a useless city. But im paying no maintance, and getting the free gold/beakers, and still counts as a city so my longbow can defend it better. I think its a good deal but still :p

Gods of Old is cool. But i built the shrine of Inana and im kinda of disapointed, i cant seem to cast any kind of cataclism with my great prophets, and all i get is 1 xp from my temples.

This I guess is a trade off due to the cool unit promotions and generally useful war related powers Inanna grants you (also, according to the mythos, a minor diety).

Just completed a game of Gods of Old for the first time, won a religious victory. Thought it was a really nice tweak to the main game and I greatly enjoyed it. As ever with things I love, I'm motivated to point out problems and potential improvements:

Problems:

1) As already pointed out, the AI won't found Utu

2) The AI wastes catastrophes on An-worshipping civilizations

3) The AI goes crazy for building inquisitors. Non-state religions are often good things, and it just seems a big waste of production for the AI to be spending so many hammers on them.

4) It seems strange that missionaries can't be be built without Organized Religion after Scientific Method. I mean, gods are such an important part of this mod, I think missionaries should always be available, especially with all these inquisitors about. In my game cities in certain civs regularly became devoid of any religious belief at all because of over-zealous inquisitor activity.

Suggested Improvements:

1) The gods of this mod are supposed to be jealous and intent on becoming number one right? But at the moment I have no incentive to suppress other religions (except the holy shrine, and even then only at the last moment). I think it would be great if having a non-state religion caused an unhappiness penalty and maybe a culture penalty in its city. Also, I think you should only get great prophet bonuses for temples which are of your state religion. That way I have an incentive to suppress rival religions throughout the game, instead of at the final moment if I decide to go for a religious victory. Needless to say, this would mean the AI enthusiasm for inquisitors would be justified.

2) I think to win a religious victory, in addition to destroying all other holy cities, you should also have to make your religion cover like 70% of the world's population or something like that, just to give a greater sense that your religion is number 1.

3) It would be great if someone made a mod like this for the normal world religions. But I know that would be very controversial so it would have to be entirely unofficial :D. The problem with ancient pagan gods is that they weren't actually very jealous and their worshippers were perfectly happy with worship of other gods.

i can noy play this mod
not sure what is happing
it starts then crashes some video error
anybody getting this
i have the most recent patch

Personally, I love this mod, but after playing only a few rounds with the random events from the standard BTS, I just can't seem to enjoy this mod as much since it doesn't have the random events.

If random events are added to this mod, I personally think the god that you choose to follow should have some impact on what events happen. An example would be if your state religion is Enki you have a better chance for positive sea-based events to happen (source of whales appears, getting +1 gold from a source of clams with black pearls), and a decreased chance of negative sea-based events (hurricane hits your city).

Oh, and Mechs-O-Potamia sounds like a great idea, Assault Mechs and Dreadnaughts versus great prophets. Just a quick question, since one religion (Nanna I believe) gets Meteor-strikes (radiation free nukes), would improvements such as bomb shelters and Arcology Shielding affect how much damage these Meteor strikes do? (Its probably already in the coding for Gods of Old for the bomb shelters at least, but haven't tried to look in the games code before).

Top Bottom