New Cumulative history Quiz VII

Nope. The song was instrumental though: it wasn't played because of it's aesthetic qualities, but to achieve certain unrelated goal.

One hint more: If you listen to commercial radio these days, you'll notice that just once a day isn't enough to make song all time most played. ;)

I know :)
But it is a brilliant question so I won't spoil the fun just yet. :p

I know the answer, but I don't have a good question.

Nope. The song was instrumental though: it wasn't played because of it's aesthetic qualities, but to achieve certain unrelated goal.

One hint more: If you listen to commercial radio these days, you'll notice that just once a day isn't enough to make song all time most played. ;)

Was it your equivalent of "Jacques has a long moustache," or "White Christmas?"

No, at least if those songs were used to deliver message (which quick googling sugeests). This wasn't.

The musical aspect of the song that made it the most played is that there is no silent moment in it.

Yeekim and Civ_King, feel free to answer, knowing isn't cheating :) These hints are probably the most that can be revealed without giving the answer fully away.

Out of curiousity, I looked it up, but if it is what I found lmfao. It is unreal.

Yes it is! :D

What you found may be only part of the reason, though, there's a similar kind of reason that explains most of the air time, and which is easier to guess.

Does it have to do with acoustic jamming, that is to say it floods with sound things so as to blot out other sounds?

Well that's it basically.

During the Winter War it was used to drown Soviet propaganda from Leningrad. The song was played repeatedly through almost the whole war.

I'm not sure if they used it for that purpose during the Continuation War, but then there was more fantastic use for this song: Soviets had installed quite many bombs to the town of Viipuri before retreating, and the bombs were detonated with a radio signal. Finns noticed this and brought mobile radio transmitters there and started playing Säkkijärven Polkka on multiple frequencies. I recalled that they did this until the bombs had been disassembled, but now after googling read that the song was played for couple years nonstop, until the batteries of the bombs had drained out.

The story is little difficult to believe, at least for me, but the sources seem to be reputable, and also this isn't only internet story, but I've heard/read it mention elsewhere too.

It covered what else was going on in the studio or on the line? Did it provide cover for coded messages?

EDIT: damn, beaten to it

If you want the turn take it, else open floor

The Sāsānians. :p

Three minutes!

I'm no good at this stuff unless you want weirdass hyperspecificity. Open floor.

Top Bottom