GMR: Scarcity

Onan

Dad
Thread for discussion of the above invitational GMR game, which has not yet begun. We are currently at seven players of 10 max, with 4 invites outstanding.

Here are the maps suggested. Fractal does not have sparse resource setting, so it is ruled out.

Tilted Axis with Large continent settings (2 maps):

Tilted Axis with small continent settings (2 maps):

Tilted Axis with islands settings (2 maps):

Large Islands (2 maps), which I think is too naval oriented:

All those islands completely locked in ice! Only barbs will ever live there...hopefully camps don't spawn there, or it's just a waste of computing power. They need an icebreaker unit for this map! Or a submarine settler.

If my memory serves, it's mostly snow on the land above the ice line. So that will all be barbarian lands, too. Based on those maps above, the small continents ones look more interesting...and safer from the northern hordes.

What is the concept here. The game can't be viewed on gmr because it's set private I assume.

Interested in joining some new games and I can play turn a day

I like either the first or the second set of maps. It may be fun to turn raging barbs on, also. It would be like Game of Thrones with the barbs being the Others.:borg:

I like either the first or the second set of maps. It may be fun to turn raging barbs on, also. It would be like Game of Thrones with the barbs being the Others.:borg:

Lol, whos gonna man the wall then?

I would prefer large continent, so we have more room to expend, but I am good either way.

I want to be in! A mix of water and continent should be good. Small or Large continents.

What is the concept here. The game can't be viewed on gmr because it's set private I assume.

Interested in joining some new games and I can play turn a day
Not much different from normal game, just the setting of resource is 'sparse', you only get a few copies of one type of lux, many types of lux but quantity is only one, or very few spots where strategic resources lie.
This makes the upper snow lands valuable as some strategic resource will be there if you really need some.

By the way, JMLOng is in one of my games and playing actively:)

I'm gonna love what you suggested (giving me more ships than I need) but sadly I have to vote no. Sparse is the main theme of this game.

@Tab: I think Onan has sent an invitation to Tab, no email?

@Onan: maybe paste some informational posts from there

I vote small continent.

Really busy atm, Tab has already been invited (just accept in GMR!) and I'm sorry, no new invites after Kiffe, because that will take us to 10, and I didn't want it to be a huge game.

I would vote raging barbs too--them taking up more space will make everything more scarce for all of us! :)

Summary of vote here:
Small continents setting 1 vote.
Raging barb up 1 vote.
Babylon civ banned so far.

Any more input?

Here you go: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12038100#post12038100

Thanks for the map homework!
Here you go: [link]http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12038100#post12038100[/link]

Thanks for the map homework!
Save 12/2/2012 2:30 PMGreat, I will post up some Tiled Axis with small/large continents settings, or large islands/fractal maps so everyone can easily see which is better?

A thread for this?
12/2/2012 2:07 PMedit - delete I think RStark is back from his holiday in a few days. If he's not interested, I'll check with Tab and/or launch with seven!

Any more map thoughts?
I think RStark is back from his holiday in a few days. If he's not interested, I'll check with Tab and/or launch with seven!

Any more map thoughts?
Save 11/29/2012 10:09 PMedit - delete I'll give it another day to see if any of the other four I've invited jumps in to grab the 8th slot. Thanks for the info, E.

As for civs, etc, we'll make final decisions once everyone who's going to play is here.
I'll give it another day to see if any of the other four I've invited jumps in to grab the 8th slot. Thanks for the info, E.

As for civs, etc, we'll make final decisions once everyone who's going to play is here.
Save 11/29/2012 7:59 PMSo far all the civs picked I have no problems with, no need to ban yet. If the last players pic a civ they feel wont be op then I assume we can skip the whole ban vote thingy.
11/29/2012 3:09 PMThe bug won't affect newly started game as the save file size is still small. Only the big ones are affected.

I say we shall go if one more player joins to make it 8 standard size.

If semi water map I want to try Ottoman as I have none in the portfolio.
11/29/2012 3:02 PMI would prefer some water on the map. Maybe fractal or large islands. Tilted axis also sounds interesting as long as there is water. I would like to play as Harald if everyone had the DLC. Pillaging the scarce resources of the world sounds like a blast. :)
11/28/2012 1:32 PMedit - delete Sounds like you guys are starting to see the merits of banning civs and thinking about which ones you don't want in the game. :)

Yes, Bluecollar, I won't launch this until the bugs have settled. That would just be frustrating.
Sounds like you guys are starting to see the merits of banning civs and thinking about which ones you don't want in the game. :)

Yes, Bluecollar, I won't launch this until the bugs have settled. That would just be frustrating.
Save 11/28/2012 11:16 AMUU that require no ressources might be even scarier now(looking at you, Mohawk warrior!)
11/28/2012 9:12 AMBan Babylon. Tilted axis looks fun, making the honour start powerful as well, eternal barb farming.
11/28/2012 3:22 AMI belive that with scarce resources peaceful civs and civs with gunpowder UU's will have the upper hand. Consider this if we're going to ban civs.
11/28/2012 2:42 AMThanks for the invite. You guys have made me a better player for sure. I think I will random it up. I was also wondering if we were going to wait on the start until some of the GMR bugs are worked out. Out of my 9 games i think only one is still working.
11/28/2012 2:26 AMI picked Russia, tough they might be a tad OP in a scare environment(Yay for double strategic!) I will change if need be :)

(Arabia might be OP too, but less so then Russia)
11/27/2012 9:39 PMedited on 11/27/2012 9:40 PMedit - delete Here is a link to a post explaining the sort of civ picking I was talking about: http://www.civplayers.com/index.php?section=smf&topic=9785.0;wap2

2-3 rounds of picking. In the first round(s), you ban civs, meaning you use your choice to exclude a civ from the game, for all players, no one can play it. Final round, you pick your civ from what civs are still available. This way OP civs get eliminated, but you still get some choice on what you play.
Here is a link to a post explaining the sort of civ picking I was talking about: http://www.civplayers.com/index.php?section=smf&topic=9785.0;wap2

2-3 rounds of picking. In the first round(s), you ban civs, meaning you use your choice to exclude a civ from the game, for all players, no one can play it. Final round, you pick your civ from what civs are still available. This way OP civs get eliminated, but you still get some choice on what you play.
Save 11/27/2012 8:02 PMIf we're picking I want to be france (never get to be france). If we're not picking I want to be random.
11/27/2012 6:49 PMOnan is not allowed Inca or Maya :)

Come on, I just want to diversify my civ portfolio. Since finished Speed, I have no Rammy in my GMR games.

If you really want to randomise, give each player 3 choices from the given randomised choices please.
11/27/2012 6:45 PMedited on 11/27/2012 6:45 PMedit - delete Just like Tab is not allowed Persia, nor is Islandia allowed Aztecs. :p
Just like Tab is not allowed Persia, nor is Islandia allowed Aztecs. :p
Save 11/27/2012 6:44 PMedit - delete Oh, and E is not allowed to have Egypt! Lol.

Maybe should try the civ picking system where each player bans or eliminates 1-2 civs, in rounds, and then what's left is either picked based on some randomised order, or are assigned at random.
Oh, and E is not allowed to have Egypt! Lol.

Maybe should try the civ picking system where each player bans or eliminates 1-2 civs, in rounds, and then what's left is either picked based on some randomised order, or are assigned at random.
Save 11/27/2012 6:04 PMedit - delete Woops, read from bottom first. :)
Woops, read from bottom first. :)
Save 11/27/2012 6:03 PMedited on 11/27/2012 6:05 PMedit - delete ... This game will run with 6-10 players, and as the name suggests, we will be using scarce resources. Map as yet undecided, could be something wacky like the tilted earth map where it's half snow...or something more normal. Open to player consensus on map type and other settings. I guess we'll go quick, unless everyone's happy trying standard speed on GMR (which would make this game a year long commitment, minimum).

I haven't made a CFC thread yet, but probably will, since the forums there seem simpler/easier to access and with more bells and whistles. (We all like our smilies, right?)
... This game will run with 6-10 players, and as the name suggests, we will be using scarce resources. Map as yet undecided, could be something wacky like the tilted earth map where it's half snow...or something more normal. Open to player consensus on map type and other settings. I guess we'll go quick, unless everyone's happy trying standard speed on GMR (which would make this game a year long commitment, minimum).

I haven't made a CFC thread yet, but probably will, since the forums there seem simpler/easier to access and with more bells and whistles. (We all like our smilies, right?)
Save 11/27/2012 6:03 PMedit - delete Hi guys. I've invited you to play this game for one or two reasons: you have a certain (high) level of skill, and/or you play your turns reasonably fast. Sometimes both! A couple of you I may only know one of these things (like that you play fast, but I'm not sure how good you are--but I believe in everyone's ability to learn and improve, and other players' ability to assist that process). ...

Summary of vote here:
Small islands up 1 vote.
Raging barb up 1 vote.
Babylon civ banned so far.

Any more input?

Small continents was my vote.

Ban Russia. Defeats the purpose of the set up to have one civ that gets double resources.

LostKnight = godcyric ?

I will play any settings. I have no preference. I guess ban Carthage if we play an island map.

Small continents was my vote.

Ban Russia. Defeats the purpose of the set up to have one civ that gets double resources.

LostKnight = godcyric ?

Sorry I meant small continent settings

Yes, LostKnight is the forum name.

Update:

Small continent up 1
Raging barb up 2
Ban Babylon, Russia, and Carthage.

Ban russia? lol, Fine, ill pick something else!

(Ya, I am godcyric on Steam, Lostknight was taken :( )

If we ban russia for that reason, dont we have to ban arabia aswell? Any other civs that gets strat resources?

You can ban Arab, everyone has one ban I guess. But someone has to ban Germany.

Top Bottom