What are the differences between the main ModMods for FfH?

jafink

King
Hey everyone, it is awesome to see so many people still playing this mod. I have not played it in many years and am just in the process of reinstalling Civ IV and downloading it. I last played before the final version was even released. I only ever played vanilla FfH, and never any modmods.

I am a bit confused as the the differences between the main ones. I am definitely going to get More Naval AI, because the AI really did need some work.

I am not sure if I should go with ExtraModMod. I basically want to play the same game as vanilla FfH, but with better AI and better balance. Is ExtraModMod pretty close to the original FfH, or should I just stick with More Naval AI?

Also, and other modmod suggestions, or comparisons would be much appreciated.

Stick with MNAI, if that isn't enough I would recommend Magistermod as all changes it makes are based on already existing lore, e.g. actually adding a White Hand religion instead of having Auric Ulvin be agnostic.

if you want to stay close to vanilla FFH, MNAI or Magister and their modmodmods are the way to go.
There are three other major branches of modmods, Orbis, Wildmana/Master of Mana and Fall Further/Rise From Erebus/Ashes of Erebus.

To my knowledge, Ashes of Erebus is the only one of those three that's still worked on. It expands the game with new mechanics and civs, is relatively stable ( though less than MNAI) and AI is being worked on (though again not to the extent of MNAI).

Orbis has seen plenty of rework on the economics level, the tech tree is new, espionage is back and there's a few new civs.

Master of Mana has completely reworked the magic system into something really massive. I don't know much of what else has been done in it.

(Full disclosure, i'm working on Ashes of Erebus, so i'm not fully impartial ^^)

MNAI is basically regular FFH2 with bug fixes etc so there's essentially no point playing just FFH2 - may as well play MNAI as your base game and if you want to try one of the others (I haven't tried them yet...) then what Imp Knoedel and black imperator said

Also play my scenario if you want something fun :)

I'd strongly recommend ExtraModMod, because it includes MNAI for better AI and Eitb ( Erebus in the Balance ) for much better balance. the base mod is pretty horribly balanced and it really detracts from the enjoyment.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I went with MNAI to start. It us a HUGE improvement from the old FfH AI.

I will probably try ExtraModMod soon, but so far I am having a lot of fun with just MNAI.

Top Bottom