[BTS] Ethnically Diverse Units v3.0

Posted version 3.13, see first post for update. Haven't finished the African set yet though :( only ten units. Added 2 Arabian units as well.

:lol:
Just when I had implemented almost all available worker graphics and some ships!

Rabbit White any screenshot of new African units and of the 2 arabians as well?
Darn! I knew I forgot something. I'll post them in the evening when I come back from work.

Any chance danrell's stuff will be making it into here?
Possible. I always take a look through the unit threads to see if there's anything I can use. In fact, I was thinking of taking some of his Arabian units, but the late units are already covered (the mideast set's late units are pretty much Arabian style) and the earlier units that he has I felt were too sophisticated and armored to be early units.

Rabbit, I looked at the new units in the SceneViewer. Glad to see some of my units in there ;)

BTW, I would use this spearman instead of my own, then use the skin of the one you're using for the archer (If you need the modified skin I can PM it to you). That way both will have working teamcolor. Also I would use one of Chuggy's workers instead of your own, so it doesn't look as much like the warrior, but it's not much of a problem if you don't.

As well, here are some other units you should use:
Longbowman
Crossbowman
Pikeman
Maceman
Knight (I have also added armor from bakuel's Egyptian Knight; if you think it'll work then I can PM you it. I can also re-equip it if you think a better lance/shield would work)

Also if you'd like I think these should also be added:

Middle East Musketman
Native American Musketman
African Musketman

A simple re-equip of the Chinese Hand Cannoner from Warlords will work for the Asian Musketman.

As for danrell's units, I think you should definitely use his longbowman (it looks like a reskin of my own) It'll work much better than the Assyrian-looking one

So anyways, just my two cents on the whole thing. It's already great so far (I really like that African elephant) :D PM me if you'd like that archer, knight or Asian musketman.

My game's crashing to the desktop at random intervals after downloading this mod as well. I followed the instructions (For making it part of the game, not a mod), but I'm guessing I've done something wrong?

My game's crashing to the desktop at random intervals after downloading this mod as well. I followed the instructions (For making it part of the game, not a mod), but I'm guessing I've done something wrong?

So it's not just me...

The mod's good, but it does crash at random points- whether it's as the game loads or mid-game.

I don't know whether this is a problem with the mod (I doubt it as no-one before us has reported problems) or just our computers...

Include me in that list: the new version of EDU crashes an unpatched install of BTS. I've not tried installing it on 3.02 or 3.03 because of the new crashes I've heard those patches introduce. Only other modification to the default install is Solver's unofficial patch.

Is there a link to the previous version anywhere?

The ethnically diverse city mod mentioned earlier in this thread includes most of the unit art, and that doesn't seem to crash, but unfortunately that doesn't have any African units.

I'll see if I can figure this out, I never heard of this before. I haven't though used the new patch for version 3.13, although I doubt that this patch would affect the mod at all since it's just an art mod.

It is possible that the crash is due to overheating graphics card/cpu that is due to the extra graphics that it introduces. On the other hand if the ethnically diverse cities mod works fine then it probably isn't the problem since that mod would have even more new graphics.

Have you guys encountered this problem before the last update?

An unexpected crash during gameplay can be caused by a missing/wrong artdefine tag. This usually doesn't give a xml error popup during loading, but simply crashes when the unit comes into the game. Had it a few times while implementing units.

Hi, I noticed the game is missing the Worker_Asian and the Scout_Asian entries from the CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml , also, in the same file, the Spearman_European is pointing to a Spearman_European_test.nif .

Once you copy those entries from the older version, everything it's ok. I have 2 test saves with all the game units in WB, and now it's working fine.
(I copied all the _Asian entries just to be sure, but I believe those two were the only ones missing).

To clarify, the latest version of this is the first I've downloaded.

Ooops, :rolleyes:
both the worker and the scout are the vanilla versions, you can fetch them from the BTS assets folder. The different .nif for the spearman causes only a slight graphical anomaly, but you can fetch it too from the same source.

I'm not sure if anybody else noticed, but whey do the native settlers have a horse with them when the only domesticated animal was the llama. BTS already had untique settlers for each culture.

Yeah I thought the Settlers having horses before you're even able to domesticate them was strange too.

It looks like I messed up some of the XMLs, I'm gonna look over them tonight and update the mod if needed.

If the native americans are going to have domesticated animals with their settlers it should at least be camels which the middle east settlers have because camels look and are closely related to llamas, the only demesticated animal from the americas. Or I guess you could always create llama's but that might be too hard so camels make a nice subsitute.

I'm not sure if anybody else had this problem but my game crashes much easier with this mod. It now can't handle maps bigger then tiny.

Top Bottom