Modders Guide to FfH2

Where are the ablities to use bronze, iron and mithral weapons saved in CIV4UnitInfos.xml (if that is where they are). At the moment, a Drown + Mithral weapons is the same strength as a Stygian Guard (its upgrade). If it is unit class related, there is nothing I can do about that, but if I can add at least bronze or iron to Stygian Guards...

What do I need to know about converting a .23 map to a .25 BTS map? I noticed a few differences, made some changes, but it is still crashing on me.

Ozzy, the changes you will need to make will all happen in Wordpad.
there are 5 things you will need to look at. the options part, the civics part, the civs part, the map summary part and the plot info.

In your options you will need to add at least 1 line
NumAdvancedStartPoints=
the game saves this info in BTS after MaxCityElimination=
if you want labascrum or any of the other options they would be added here as well.

The second part comes with the civics. Now starting with the first team (now numbered at 0) After BeginTeam the next line now needs to say
TeamID=
you will also need to make sure that after the number of leaders you use (say 12 players) that you fill out the rest of the spots up to team 39
(i.e.)BeginTeam
TeamID=39
ContactWithTeam=39
RevealMap=0
EndTeam

The third part, civs needs a few lines changed(will base examples on malakim for starters)
Leadername now changes from Varn Gosam to TXT_KEY_LEADER_VARN
CivDesc would change from Malakim to TXT_KEY_CIV_MALAKIM_DESC
CivShortDesc would change from Malakim to TXT_KEY_CIV_MALAKIM_SHORT_DESC
CivAdjective would change from Malakim to TXT_KEY_CIV_MALAKIM_ADJECTIVE

and a line will need to be added between startingera and civicoption
RandomStartLocation=false

and once again you will need to add the rest of the missing civs after team17
and change any unused civs under team1t to
BeginPlayer
Team=19
LeaderType=NONE
CivType=NONE
Color=NONE
ArtStyle=NONE
Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE
EndPlayer
and do this thru team 39

Next up map summary will need a line added just before endmap
Randomize Resources=false

lastly if any barbarian units (animal, warrior or city) are on the map you will need to hunt them down in the plot info section and change unitowner/cityowner = 18 to unitowner or cityowner = 40

my biggest advice would be to open the map and immediately save as a different name to work under(for instance I went from Faerun to FaerunBTS) so if you miss copy or miswrite something you still have a fresh copy to go back to.

edit: forgot to add that you will need to change the save name file from .Civ4WorldBuilderSave to CivBeyondSwordWBSave

Did you get enough help in the other thread? What I did was to open a v25 game in WB, save, and compare with the one I wanted to convert.

FYI, in the next version you will need at least two more changes to saved maps to get them to work.
1) If the Sidar are in the game, find
LeaderType=LEADER_MORGOTH
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_MORGOTH
and replace with
LeaderType=LEADER_SANDALPHON
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_SANDALPHON
2) Another thing I'll point out when it is realeased, or the changelog at least, it has to do with the civics.

Did you get enough help in the other thread? What I did was to open a v25 game in WB, save, and compare with the one I wanted to convert.

Yea, I did that, and as far as I can tell they are identical (except for obvious things like the plots and starting positions. That's why I'm stumped as to why it is still crashing.

I looked at the upload that you put in post #45 above and it looked identical to the one i tried posting unsuccessfully last night, so i started a game with it and it did not crash for me. Might the problem be with your .py file that you normally supply with the map? because i did not take that file, I only took the wbsave file.

I have a question to the team about the new features and barbarian cities .

Would it be possible that the spawn of the barbarian cities and barbarian units on unique features will be done at the beginning of the game for the shadow version ?

The reason is that you add some units and cities before the starting plots assignment and that may cause bugs with map scripts that don't check at any time if the plot is owned or have units .

Something i'm curious also is that you spawn some cities and units during map generation ... But i've tried several times to do that and had some problems with player initializations . I 've encounter bugs for the next unit created with the player like if Civ4 prevent the game to spawn some units during map generation . And do the unit initialization only after the map generation .

Tcho !

Working on trying to make SevoPedia work for FfH right now, and I was just wondering which files are best to fix first, Python, or XML?

I am mostly just comparing FfH to BtS, finding what was changed, then going through and comparing BtS to Sevopedia (which is annoying since I can only find a Sevopedia that is updated for Warlords, not for BtS), and then when I think I know what was needed for Sevo, I patch that into FfH.

Anyway, I have made the changes to a couple of Python now with no issue, and even added some elements to the Global Defines Alt XML. But then I popped into the XML/Art Folder, and attempts to add anything to the Art Defines Interface is causing crashes at the main menu :(

As far as I can tell, the changes I am making in this file are just to allow arrows & Lines in a new section of the Pedia that makes a Promotion Tree. Seems to me like something that shouldn't in itself cause a crash, but I guess if there is Python work that has to be done before the XML can reference to it, maybe that is the issue?

Anyway, the files I have to rectify still are mostly in the Python/Screens folder (all the stuff with Pedia in the name basically), and the fact that it includes a folder in the XML called "Units_Sample" which I presume is a layout/template for designing units. Sadly it is COMPLETELY not comperable to FfH (gee, wonder why? ;)), so I may have to work quite hard when I modify the python for CvPedia_Unit.

Rambling aside: Can I avoid pointless crashes if I do the Python first, or is it pretty well so tightly interwoven that I have to have it all done in one shot, and cannot modify 1 file at a time and know if I did it right by loading the game and seeing if it crashes?

If there is one thing I have learned from modding, its that there is no way to avoid pointless crashes.

I would start small, with the understanding that some issues may not work themsevles out until everyhing is in place.

you have put in diplomacy modifiers for if you a male or female, if you use a certain type of mana, if you have a favorite wonder built, how compassionate you are, etc. But I do not see a way to put in diplomacy modifiers for hated enemies. i.e the Bannor are enemies with the Clan and Doviello, Malakim with the Svartalfar, etc. Is this in there and I am just not seeing it or How can this be added, or can it be added at all?

Listing specific enemies is already in the game, but has no effect. The team changes their mind about having such diplomatic penalties in every game (then added the warscript, which I think is worse)

I would prefer it be added as a type of event, randomly giving a penalty with a civ as soon as they are encountered based on some thematic dispute, but not happening every game.

Is it possible to add health modifiers to terrain improvements? I see that it works for features (like forest and floodplains).

It looks to be pretty involved, i think theres a bunch of places it would need changed in the SDK...

Essentially what I'd like to do is have certain improvements to also provide small heath bonuses / detriments to the local city. For example, each plantation in the city radius +0.6 :health:, each pasture +0.4 :health:, each cottage / hamlet -0.2 :health:, each village -0.3 :health:, each town -0.4 :health:, each farm +0.2 :health:, each workshop -0.4 :health: etc...

Could this be done in python instead of in the SDK?

Mapmakers: To update to shadow, you have to replace every instance of
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_EDUCATION, Civic=CIVIC_NO_SCHOOL_SYSTEM
with
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_MEMBERSHIP, Civic=CIVIC_NO_MEMBERSHIP
or it will crash on start-up.

And also, I think
LeaderType=LEADER_MORGOTH
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_MORGOTH
with
LeaderType=LEADER_SANDALPHON
LeaderName=TXT_KEY_LEADER_SANDALPHON

Also:
Snarko said:
The barbarians are now player 35, not 40. Their units and cities need to change owner to 35. I guess players & teams 35-39 should be removed though it does not appear neccessary for the map to work.

Is there a global setting to modify experience points awarded from combat?

But it seems that isn't enough; it worked a couple versions ago but I'm stuck now. If anyone else can figure it out, lemme know.
The barbarians are now player 35, not 40. Their units and cities need to change owner to 35. I guess players & teams 35-39 should be removed though it does not appear neccessary for the map to work.

Top Bottom