SGOTM 13 - One Short Straw

Wbs only see one tile across water before Optics. If those are two separate islands, then the obvious choice is S-SW-SE. This defogs more tiles than S-SE-SW.

That said, has anyone given any consideration to how far I am supposed to keep playing? I'm flexible in terms of when to stop, but Turn 82 is probably the maximum that I would feel comfortable playing up until, since that's as far as we went with our testing.
I think we'll need to have a careful discussion about the second city location, so maybe even there?

Senator Y did with his young intern.
Those are matters of utmost importance. :p

Edit: multiple xpost.

Wbs only see one tile across water before Optics. If those are two separate islands, then the obvious choice is S-SW-SE. This defogs more tiles than S-SE-SW.

Good call. But, from the screen shot it looks like the northern island (GForHill) has land due south but the southern island (PFor) has coast due north. :crazyeye:

Can you tell by fog gazing, Dhoom?

You need the open save to know if there's land in between, and you need to NOT PAUSE the game... (lol -- I tried to fog gaze that exact space before, but couldn't because you had it paused and on pause, you can't see if there's water crashing against the shoreline.)

On Q2, I would go clockwise around the north of the silks to learn fully about this island and then ge east as mdy suggests, looking for AIs.

Stop when the settler is done. We need to take a day or two to think things over.

I will hide behind LC (expect me to do this often).
edit: about first wb. still prefer south for the eastern island. though I am not sure it's critical

@Mitch: that's usual business for me :D

It looks like our WB's currently only have a visibility range of 1 tile, so moving the WB 1S will only reveal 1 tile to the east of the northern island (but I still think we should move it 1S).
Yes, you're right, I'm the one that's going crazy here. You can spot land that is more than 1 square away, but you can only spot water that is 1 square away.

The first screenshot illustrates that point.

So, yes, moving 1S is the correct move... but then where should I go next? 1SE (to scout that one square on the east side of the island) followed by 1NW (doubling-back) and then 1SW (to scout the western side of the island)? This method uses 1 full turn to scout a single square for the possibility of a Seafood Resource. See the second screenshot.

Or should we just pretend that the single square on the east has no Seafood and thus head 1S, 1SW? See the third screenshot.

Spoiler :

On the eastern wb, actually, I would just move it the 2-3 turns due east and then think carefully about where we're going to settle. You still need to decide if this wb nets or explores.

On Q2, I would go clockwise...

Is that standard clockwise or Daylight Saving Time clockwise? :lol:

Stop when the settler is done. We need to take a day or two to think things over.

That is one turn sooner than I suggested. I think that is as good a stopping point as any. Although, we may want to have a good idea of where we'll settle a few turns sooner so that Dhoom can position the WBs accordingly. Maybe we should stop as soon as the entire inner ring is de-fogged (as Dhoom plays 50 turns, making sure not to defog the inner ring... :mischief:)

Dhoom, methinks you're just guessing. Howz bouts you upload the save real quick like, NOT paused, and I'll fog-gaze that tile.

Looking at the T63 save, it's very hard to believe that tiel is land, because I can see two sets of waves from the same tile, one going south, one going north. BUt to be sure, it's safer if I look at the current save

You need the open save to know if there's land in between, and you need to NOT PAUSE the game... (lol -- I tried to fog gaze that exact space before, but couldn't because you had it paused and on pause, you can't see if there's water crashing against the shoreline.)
Couldn't you have just unpaused the game?

Anyway, if you look at Screenshot #1 in my message #573, you can see that there is DEFINITELY land to the SE + S of the Crab. There aren't two separate tiny islands to the south of the Work Boat--it is a connected land mass. Fog-gazing makes it look like a Grassland Hills square, but it doesn't really matter what square it is--it is most certainly land.

However, Work Boat Explorer #2 can't move until next turn... on this turn, we need to move Work Boat Explorer #3, which is really the main reason why we are currently paused... to give anyone a chance to suggest a direction other than east.

Since no one seems to have objected, I will send WB Explorer #3 to the east, will move WB Explorer #2 1S on the next turn, and then will upload a screenshot.

I just did unpause it. That's when I saw the waves going both directions. Screenshots dont' tell me squat. I can't fog-gaze from screen shots. I'm using high resolution.

Looking at the T63 save, it's very hard to believe that tiel is land, because I can see two sets of waves from the same tile, one going south, one going north. BUt to be sure, it's safer if I look at the current save
Okay, no prob. I'll upload the saved game without it being paused, but for only LC to look at. Once he has replied, we will know that he's done with the saved game and that no one else will be looking at it, so play will be able to continue. Cool?

In particular, the screenshot you gave us above looks to me like there is NOT land between rather than that there is land there.

xpost.

Yes, I give you instant service... :)

Session Turn Log and the latest saved game link. Again, the latest saved game link is only for LC to look at, since I'll be playing forwards from this game shortly.
Spoiler :
Here is your Session Turn Log from 2425 BC to 2375 BC:

Turn 63, 2425 BC: Paris has grown to size 5.

Turn 65, 2375 BC: Paris will become unhealthy on the next turn.
Turn 65, 2375 BC: Paris will become unhappy on the next turn.

One_Short_Straw_SG013_BC2375_01.CivBeyondSwordSave

EDIT: I prefer to set up a test map and see if the squares look identical between the test game and the real game... if they don't, then the test game wasn't set up correctly.

Since I was rushed this time, I admit that I didn't take the time to compare things. Anyway, I'll gladly rely on LC's fog-gazing expertise; my fog-gazing experience skills are indeed limited.

Okay. I think it probably is a land tile after all. It's very difficult to tell, but I checked some tiles on a test save and the double wave I'm seeing, I never see on a water tile, rather only on a land tile with a bay of sorts. SO I think you're right: S-SE, then double back.

EDIT: You might fog-gaze after S, to see if it's any clearer, but from teh north fog-gazing doesn't work too well.

Okay. I think it probably is a land tile after all. It's very difficult to tell, but I checked some tiles on a test save and the double wave I'm seeing, I never see on a water tile, rather only on a land tile with a bay of sorts. SO I think you're right: S-SE, then double back.
Okay, since I was expecting you to say the opposite, I'll spend a few minutes to see if I can confirm what you said with an identical test game.

That will mean that we will have a game session where the only action was to unpause the game and save it again. For an XOTM game, that might be an issue, but I think that we're okay for an SGOTM, right? Anyway, if an admin questions it, we need only point to this message to explain why the game was saved and loaded twice on the same turn.

^^ I don't think it's an issue at all honnestly. (the unpause/save). BBP might know more about it (being from the "other side" :p)

Top Bottom