Late Game Defensive Unit Mix

Axirr

Chieftain
I typically play peaceful and don't have much of an army but I still need to be prepared to defend against any aggression, particularly after ideologies. What's the right balance between air units, anti-air units, ranged, and melee units? Are nukes an effective deterrent to aggression? Post gatling gun, is artillery the better ranged unit to build from a defense perspective? From an anti-air perspective, are planes or ground units the better choice. Obviously I'm trying to keep my forces as small as possible to save on upkeep but don't want to invite attacks.

Hum, personally I prefer to get a good tech lead over the AI so it doesn't really matter.

Actually, the most cost effective thing you can normally do to defer AI aggression is keep your army up to date. This even includes upgrading the Crosssbows to Gatling Guns. Yes, humans prefer the Crossbows due to longer range. But the AI does NOT see the range and instead looks at the Gatling Gun's much improved melee strength compared to a Crossbow.

The second most cost effective thing you can do to defer AI aggression is build Walls & Castles around all cities, even those that won't see combat. City defenses are part of your military strength.

Yes, artillery is much more effective in combat from a defense perspective (which would then be in a city) The Gatling Gun would normally be used as a screen for artillery whenever you place them outside of one.
But if you want to deter the AI, think in terms of units with a high melee combat strength instead even if not as combat effective.

The strongest defense units are planes. They allow you to concentrate your defenses on the crucial city quickly, meaning each one counts for more than a machine gun, which isn't as mobile and will take a few turns to get to where you're being attacked. The next strongest defense are machine guns, then artillery. Port cities have the ability to have an additional stacked defender which is a big help.

Also, you can avoid tons of wars just by preempting them with bribes. In fact, if you can afford it you should constantly keep the AI's at war with one another.

Jon, thats cool about walls/castles. I didn't know that.

Some of the things I do:

1. Pay them to attack someone else (most people know this but it is by far the cheapest way to reduce their unit count)
2. Ally nearby city states instead of far off all things being near equal
3. Buy tiles near borders (make sure this isn't right on their border or it will provoke them)
4. Battleships in coastal cities are awesome

Really though it costs way to much to maintain an army you are not using. The upkeep per turn and the upgrade cost are very high. If you are going to have an army use it, otherwise I keep very few units past the early game phase. Treat them like a greedy CEO treats a business unit, if you aren't making me money, you're gone.

You are better off rush buying new units then you are in paying upkeep on 8 units for 100 turns plus the upgrades.

Math
8 units from turn 150-250

Avg. Upkeep per turn 19
Upgrade cost

Musket-Rifle = 160
Rifle-GW = 200
GW- Inf = 120

Total 480

Roughly 6k gold to keep 8 units current. (obviously costs vary with policies)

That is enough to buy 6 infantry straight away if needed or a lot of spaceship parts or CS allies or RL.

I like keeping Armored units around for the defensive game (in addition to planes), just because they're monsters on hit & run tactics when you have roads and total visibility of your attackers, but they've got no idea where you're at.

A fast-moving Tank with any bonuses to fighting in your territory & March (usually my 4th promotion for fast-movers) can mutilate attacking forces by smashing their artillery to bits. The AI seems to love Mobile SAMs & AA guns but has nothing on a few tanks ripping its artillery to shreds. Tanks can also maul AA guns to death and free you up for fighter/bomber spam.

Top Bottom