Civ4 Tech Tree Editor

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
TheLopez has released a new Tech Tree Editor for both Civilization IV and Warlords. This nifty editor is integrated into the game and can be triggered by starting a new game then press ALT-F6.

Civ4 is touted as one of the most modable games out there today. Though, at minimum to mod Civ4 you need to know how to edit XML files at the worst you need to know how to edit C++ and compile the SDK files. Unfortunately the game was shipped without an editor, this mod is the first part of an in-game editor that will change this.
Here are a few screenshots: Editor Screen | All Editable Values | Adding a New Tech

Visit this thread for more information and download the utility!

You know you really don't need to 'know' XML, it's value editing the same as most customizable games. You don't need to touch the tags themselves at all. You'd have the same thing with basic text files or any other way of storing the data. Still, can't argue with GUI, especially for something as visual as the tech tree.

AnarhCassius said:
You know you really don't need to 'know' XML, it's value editing the same as most customizable games. You don't need to touch the tags themselves at all. You'd have the same thing with basic text files or any other way of storing the data. Still, can't argue with GUI, especially for something as visual as the tech tree.

AnarhCassius, the Tech Tree Editor is more than just updating the XML values... one of the problems with the tech tree is that previously to get the placement just right you had to change the CIV4TechInfos.xml file, start the game, see if the tech placement was good and if it wasn't then start from the begining until you got the placement right. With my editor you can just do it from the game without having to edit the XML and restarting Civ4.

AnarhCassius said:

I believe he said:

TheLopez said:
Though, at minimum to mod Civ4 you need to know how to edit XML files...

edit being quite different from "knowing" XML (which given it's very nature is sort of a strange idea anyway but i get what you mean)

XML can be somewhat daunting to the average user with no knowledge of HTML or other markup languages, many games in the past (as you say) used ini files and similar ideas for the same effect as XML and while it's not a radical change it takes some getting used to, anyway before i write a book, just because it seems simple to you does not mean it's as simple for everyone else, personally i see this as an awesome idea and can't wait for the full Civileditor or whatever he's calling it :p I love to be able to see what i'm doing, then fine tune by editing the files and everything, saves alot of time wasted loading and reloading the mod.

in short, bang up job TheLopez, can't wait for the rest of your modding mod :p

Top Bottom