removing UUs and UBs and traits from the game? how?

Steelshark

Chieftain
Hi,
the title pretty much says it all but I'm going to write my question in here nonetheless:

How can I remove (or disable) the Unique Units and Buildings? I already have a way of removing the traits which involves a lengthy deleting session in the LeaderheadInfo.xml (I think it was the file)

On another note: Is there perhaps a way that the first civ that discovers a tech also gets the "Unique Unit" for the tech appropriate" (like a SEAL instead of Marines?)

Thanks for any tips, steel

Simply delete the unique entries in Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml

As for the other task, you could accomplish that through python by giving the civ a free hidden tech. That tech would provide access to a unit that obsoletes the existing unit. So the first to discover Rifling could also be granted a "Patriotism" tech, and be able to build minutemen instead of riflemen.

On another note: Is there perhaps a way that the first civ that discovers a tech also gets the "Unique Unit" for the tech appropriate" (like a SEAL instead of Marines?)

Might be a bit overpowered. The first to research iron working gets prats, gallic warriors, and jags? The first to research bronze working gets dog soldiers, phalanxes, vultures, and holkans? Really?

well hunting would be the thing that activates holkans and shaka's unit, so people would start out with them right away, right. I mean you can have bronze working and not have spearmen. Would that mean everyone would start with quecha's too? I think that would be overpowered too.

@justinian: I just don't really like the way that civs are "preprogrammed" to be great at something. For example: If the mongols start off on a series of islands... would the really develop into the great horse archers ? or would the become "viking-like" with amphibios units, better harbors, ships and so on?

Failing to implement a "you get better at what you do"-thing. I think its better to simply level the field of play.

@Way_Traveler, King of Town: It was just a thought. Of course one would only get a small bonus. I really liked the event in Civ4 when your ships traveled around the globe as first civ when all ships gain +1 movement. I'd like to see more of these things. The only thing currently implemented are "random" unit type upgrades (all mounted units get flanking I for free > WTF... I'm on an Island)

Shouldn't the FIRST civ to discover horseback riding get a free "flanking I" for mounted units? Or a slightly upgraded Horse Archer? That way one would have to priorize even more.

I know it's simply not doable for the "starting techs". But I think it could work with the techs from classical on.

The thing about the leader traits: I simply don't like them because it forces a play style. Sure I can choose to play "against" my traits but then I'm fighting uphill.

edit: Thanks for the Info where to edit the UU and UB. Though simply deleting it was a bad idea ;). I had to replace the names of the UU's and UB's with the original corresponding names.

Steelshark, perhaps you could try playing a flexible leader. There are numerous leaders who don't demand you follow a particular strategy. (For example Washington of America, Mehmed of the Ottomans, or Pacal of the Mayans.) You simply can't remove all items of variance from the game, and learning to live with historical inaccuracies like Saladin founding Judaism is just part of the game.

edit: Thanks for the Info where to edit the UU and UB. Though simply deleting it was a bad idea ;). I had to replace the names of the UU's and UB's with the original corresponding names.

I should have been more specific. In the file is something that says:

Code:
<Buildings>
   <Building>
	<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_SUPERMARKET</BuildingClassType>
	   <BuildingType>BUILDING_AMERICAN_MALL</BuildingType>
   </Building>
</Buildings>
<Units>
   <Unit>
	<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_MARINE</UnitClassType>
 	   <UnitType>UNIT_AMERICAN_NAVY_SEAL</UnitType>
   </Unit>
</Units>

You need to replace this with:

Code:
<Buildings/>
<Units/>

When I said "delete the unique entries" I meant to remove the information relating to unique units. I forgot you hadn't done much modding and wouldn't know what to do to accomplish that. Apologies.

@Molybdeus: What I've done is the following:

Code:
<Buildings>
   <Building>
	   <BuildingType>BUILDING_AMERICAN_MALL</BuildingType>
   </Building>
</Buildings>

was replaced with:
Code:
<Buildings>
   <Building>
	   <BuildingType>BUILDING_SUPERMARKET</BuildingType>
   </Building>
</Buildings>

it may not be the "clean" variant, but it works :D

Reason why I don't like the leader traits is the fact that for example Montezuma is always the same... kind of boring if one already knows in which field a leader will be strong. If I rule the world with musketman I want it to happen because I used them to do so, not because I have a predefined advantage having for example Musketeers.

@Julian: No it's not gonna be boring... because you don't have to play my game ;)

Of course you can do what you want, it's your game :). I personally just think that game looses quite a lot of the fun factor of taking advantage of your traits, ub & uu.

Actually, I think what he's trying to do sounds very interesting; your research order would define your strengths for the rest of the game. It would be like dozens of liberalism races all at once with the need to pick your priorities. Chaos... but fun.

It would introduce a random element because being the second to research everything would seriously suck, but to those who can shrug off a loss even when they executed their strategy perfectly this might be an excellent variant.

I'd be very interested in hearing how this project goes on. Are you planning to unlock all unique units and buildings through techs races/random events? That sounds like a huge challenge to keep things varied and interesting, but might be doable especially if you incorporate things that aren't directly related like 'first to research currency has their forges upgraded to mints'.

Top Bottom