any ideas for "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: The Movie"?

CivLuvah

Deity
I think that SMAC has a GREAT plot. And I think it should be made into a movie. Or even a spoof of SMAC. What do you think? And any ideas on the plot, the music & other things? THIS IS JUST AN IDEA. Okay. so no complaints.

I see several genres we can try to put it into.

Make it a satire over human governments a la Starship Troopers.
Make a zombie/splatter/horror film with mind worms and infectees as the major threat.
Make wierd and completely out of place romantic comedy about the unlikely love between Morgan and Deidre, with the addition of the wacky transgender sidekick Yang.
Tone down the worm theme, tone up the transcendence theme and try to make a film discussing human society in the face of immediate and real spiritual transformation.
Make an anthology film about a drone riot, don't forget to glorify the nerve stapler.
Make a western.

Lots of games are receiving movies next year, but most of them are of action adventure series (e.g., Zelda, Castlevania, Prince of Persia, Metroid). It will sadly be a long time until strategy catch up on that arena.

I think there should be a new faction & the new faction is worried that the other factions are going to war with each other or one of the factions goes to war with the new faction & tries to unify the factions & succedes.

Lots of games are receiving movies next year, but most of them are of action adventure series (e.g., Zelda, Castlevania, Prince of Persia, Metroid). It will sadly be a long time until strategy catch up on that arena.
They're making a Zelda movie? Here's hoping it'll be better than the Super Mario Bros. movie! On topic, the guy who played Mad-Eye Moody in the Harry Potter films should play Zak, and if they got Kristen Dunst to play Diedre, let's just say that I'd be happy :groucho:

I think Keira Knightly should have the part of Deirdre. I think the soundtrack should be composed by Philip Glass.

I see several genres we can try to put it into.

Make a zombie/splatter/horror film with mind worms and infectees as the major threat.
Make wierd and completely out of place romantic comedy about the unlikely love between Morgan and Deidre, with the addition of the wacky transgender sidekick Yang.
Tone down the worm theme, tone up the transcendence theme and try to make a film discussing human society in the face of immediate and real spiritual transformation.
Make an anthology film about a drone riot, don't forget to glorify the nerve stapler.
Make a western.

A great spoof plot would be:

Probably a great plot would be composed of these:

Make an anthology film.

Plus we can add a few elements like a not-so-steamy romance between a woman who escaped the Spartan Federation & a man from Morgan Industries who wanted a simple life. And then probably Santiago discovered that there is an escapee then she would declare war on Morgan because she saw that her escapee was with someone from Morgan Industries about two to three months after the couple met & the warring factions' units would be full of cloned robots!:scan:. Or an argument with Zarkharov & Miriam about ethics & the argument would be interconnected with the war with cloned robots an everything.

If there is any Strategy game that needs a movie, it would have to be StarCraft. Though there is going to be a Warcraft movie soon (next year).

Uwe Boll must direct it.

Great idea. Also, when do you think Disney World will have "SAW: The Ride"?

I think SMAC could be approached through a prequel film. It would somewhat apocalyptic and explain the end days that lead to the creation of the Unity mission. All our favorite characters, and maybe some periphery characters, could be shown in their original environment. Then the film would be about viewing how all the ideologies both contributed and reacted to the end of the earth civilization. Additionally it would be easier to demonstrate the roots of these movements to modern day movements.

Advantages:
-Since the leaders will be younger, directors can use relatively(versus if they are already on SMAC) younger/sexier actors/actresses. That helps with getting funding or at least time to do it correctly from studios.
-Indie actors/actresses appropriate for parts may be more willing to do them then if this was a 'strict' sci-fi/game adaptation.
-Subject approach will introduce many otherwise non-fans into possible fans of the SMAC universe in general.
-This treatment just demands to be directed by Alfonso Cuaron(Children of Men)
-Angle not well covered by existing SMAC lore. This prevents a lot of contradictions from developing in the film medium.

I (randomly) envision a story of a Peacekeepers emissary sent to various factions to prevent catastrophe on the verge of some transformative event in the game. Not the final transcendence, but something that shakes everything up and causes alliances to fluctuate and the balance of power to shift dramatically and unpredictably.

It would have the opportunity to visualize typical cities/terrain in each of the factions, and have the emissary achieve something clever (or suffer some tragedy) in each realm. Plus an excuse to have scenes with each leader.

Maybe it would be better as a miniseries. One episode for each faction. I also imagine nods to emerging SMAX factions but without them being full-blown or the alien invasion occurring yet.

Great idea. Also, when do you think Disney World will have "SAW: The Ride"?

I think SMAC could be approached through a prequel film. It would somewhat apocalyptic and explain the end days that lead to the creation of the Unity mission. All our favorite characters, and maybe some periphery characters, could be shown in their original environment. Then the film would be about viewing how all the ideologies both contributed and reacted to the end of the earth civilization. Additionally it would be easier to demonstrate the roots of these movements to modern day movements.

Advantages:
-Since the leaders will be younger, directors can use relatively(versus if they are already on SMAC) younger/sexier actors/actresses. That helps with getting funding or at least time to do it correctly from studios.
-Indie actors/actresses appropriate for parts may be more willing to do them then if this was a 'strict' sci-fi/game adaptation.
-Subject approach will introduce many otherwise non-fans into possible fans of the SMAC universe in general.
-This treatment just demands to be directed by Alfonso Cuaron(Children of Men)
-Angle not well covered by existing SMAC lore. This prevents a lot of contradictions from developing in the film medium.

No that would happened after the sequel which is SMACX: The Movie. Here is the perfect opening credits sequence for SMAC: The Movie:
1. Before the opening credits, there would be a narrator that would recite the very first quote in the game then after a few seconds, a scene of post-apocalyptic Earth would show up while a woman chants an Arabian-like hymn on the background to give a little suspense to the audience.

2. Then after that, the SS Unity or whatever you SMAC fans call it would blast off into Alpha Centauri then after the blast-off we would see some shots of the SS Unity in space.

3. Then, while the opening credits roll, this song on this youtube video plays:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtQqhGR5QYs
I think it's a perfect opening song for the movie.

Plus on the movie, maybe there would be fictional interviews with the leaders instead of their quotes. On the parody, the interviews would be funnier.

Plus in the parody, there would be a "very exclusive" video of Morgan doing his trademark backflip & fails to do it by falling on his back while saying, "Cut. CUT!!!!". Then the screen goes static & a "Stand-By" like screen shows.

Civ4lucvah2484 said:
3. Then, while the opening credits roll, this song on this youtube video plays:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtQqhGR5QYs
I think it's a perfect opening song for the movie.

I do think its a good song, but I have a better spot than the opening credits on the ship:

It starts with Deidre in something slightly of flowing, maybe combination of green and white worm-silk. She appears to be just floating and gently spins around towards the horizontal, face going up. A close up reveals that mind-fauna are helping to lift her and rotate her in this fashion. Her face has ecstatic tranquility on it as she starts to float and spin towards a mixed colony of earth and chiron flora. Continuing shots reveal a rapid flow of small creatures across her as she begins to be oriented normally just inches from a pine like chiron-tree. She raises a hand to both caress and examine the tree and we focus on some water on the tree that provides a reflection of her face.

In the drop of water she is wearing the SS Unity uniform and has the hair she did on the Unity, but has the same expression on her face. We zoom into the drop and now are in one of the many nurseries aboard the Unity. There is carrying on in the same manner, only now the low-gravity environment provides the means for floating. Finally she looks out the window and see's Chiron long in the distance, just a sparkle.

Deidre closes her eyes, and reopens to see a much darker view of the colony she was just in. At this point branches of both the earth and chiron-flora have formed a loose protective cacoon around her. This quote would be said in her voice, narrative style, "Planet, like all living systems, has a sense of friend or foe. In the wild Planet-flora and fauna has been seen assisting movement or actively shielding our acolytes. We have come to call this the Embrace of Planet."

Civ4luva2482 said:
Plus in the parody, there would be a "very exclusive" video of Morgan doing his trademark backflip & fails to do it by falling on his back while saying, "Cut. CUT!!!!". Then the screen goes static & a "Stand-By" like screen shows.

I really think it should be like the afroninja video. He does the flip, but overdoes it and lands on his stomach. Then he stumbles to the side in confusion. Then the next take he accidents flips over the railing behind him, as they were doing the video takes on one of the towers for inspiration. as he falls he yells obscenities, but lands on a scaffolding ten feet below.

I really think it should be like the afroninja video. He does the flip, but overdoes it and lands on his stomach. Then he stumbles to the side in confusion. Then the next take he accidents flips over the railing behind him, as they were doing the video takes on one of the towers for inspiration. as he falls he yells obscenities, but lands on a scaffolding ten feet below.

That I think is kinda funny. I think while the opening credits roll, the leaders are doing stuff that most space crew do when they're in space & some other shots like Miriam praying or Lal planing the designs for the colony (which later in the story will be the basis of his own colony) or Santiago checking her stach of weapons before they land for any problems. Which reminds me. I think Penelope Cruz should play the part of Santiago. Or maybe that Latin American maid who is the main charachter in "Spanglish".

Top Bottom