DEITY CHALLENGE - aiming for sub 200T victory

I'm pretty sure they can detect reloading, but replaying a map - well, it's probably "honor rule".

If you try to replay a map from another player they will detect it because the first thing the HoF team will see is "Session 2 starts".

So yea it's a pretty good system that cuts back on all the cheating.

Where on deity, even if you do everything right, you can still lose to CV or diplo. My first game the AI could launch several turns before me, if I had not nuked him :) And that was in the 27x's. Such things cannot happen on immortal :)

Man tell me about it :) I've lost a few HoF attempts to a runaway Korea and Babylon. Then again a runaway Portugal is no fun either. There's really no civ that is really assured to not cause a problem. Amazing what Mr Random can bring to a game.

Tradition is a given. Maybe if you have great culture game you can go for Trad/Lib mix (requiring 3 extra policies pre-renaissance), definitely the way to go if you chose Poland.

After that obviously Rationalism.

For a sub 200 I'm fairly sure Order is the best option. I've had great successes in the current Korea GotM testing out freedom for a 220T victory (second playthrough) but it required heavy amount of gold which I'm not sure would be doable for sub 200. If you're not in it for such low times both ideologies are good in my opinion.
Order is usually a fairly popular AI ideology and the AI should be miles behind you. With the extra culture from cultural CS and WF I am usually never influenced by more than the first happiness hit around 8-10 unhappiness.

Got a T209 SV replaying the Korea GotM map using freedom interestingly.

While it's a replay it kinda shows Freedom has a lot to offer. At least as a wide Korea.

Just submitted a rather unimpressive t276 SV with shoshone on pangea. Had a really nice 4 city tradition start since my nearest neighbor was Venice. But just couldn't get the growth I needed. Missed WF by a few hammers, PT to Harold(wtf) and had one coup go wrong oops :blush: No denunciations though! I think that was a first.

Got a T209 SV replaying the Korea GotM map using freedom interestingly.

While it's a replay it kinda shows Freedom has a lot to offer. At least as a wide Korea.

As I wrote in 89 GOTM after action thread I'm still pretty sure order is better than freedom for sub 200T victory. I also wonder about liberty - order approach - on proper map it can be deadly :).

I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount needed rerolls to get good map. I rerolled ~ 60 times as Korea and only two times got coastal, mountain start (and even it not on turn 0) even though Korea has coastal start bias and I set world age to 3 billions. Ultimately none of these maps proved to be good.

It seems to me that sometimes completely randomly I received better maps than now :(

Yeah well that's why I'm not that motivated to play HoF again. GoTM formats where everyone play the same stuff is more my stuff. Spend more time playing than rolling maps.

Yea the rerolls can be painful. I wish there was some compromise where people could play anyone's HoF map but still play under HoF rules of no reloads once they start the game.

That map I just played with pocatello I'm pretty sure anyone else with more skill than me could have done a low 200 turn SV. There was enough room to put down 6 cities but I tend to get queasy and worry about happiness with that many cities. Although on that map there was a lot of luxes and I had no happiness problems till late game and even then it was manageable.

For anyone interested attached is the map I played.

EDIT: Added End game screenshot to show just how much room there was to play with. City selection has never been my strongpoint :) I could have got another mountain city and Agaidika could have been coastal but I panicked because of a barb camp. Cap was also just one off, one more to the right and I could have had 3 fish in my ring. Pretty sure a glory7/thorak type could romp through this one in less than 200. Might be a good one for the next DCL. Still pissed Harald beat me to PT by 1 turn because he was at war with Theodora the whole time.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• AutoSave_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    706.9 KB · Views: 100
it would be much easier (or possible at all) if somebody shares a great map.

I remember that there was a great starting position for babylon at the Shoshone strategy thread (I tried but could not get sub 200).

We should spend a couple of days rolling maps. Vote on which is the best and then start a Deity Challenge with said map.

Pretty sure between all of us and a great map we could get a sub 200.

We should spend a couple of days rolling maps. Vote on which is the best and then start a Deity Challenge with said map.

The problem is that you don't only need to reroll. As you don't need only awesome mountain/desert/river/hills/floodplains/salt start but also some of the same for the expos :D

i wonder if a tundra heavy hill map for Inca could be exploited, if you can get +1 faith from tundra tile pantheon. if the whole world is tundra-like it will hinder AI growth but not you from terraces. (but AI will take that pantheon unless you pick your opponents.) plus deer like to be in tundra so you can get early food growth from that until construction. of course will need a lot of mtns for food bonus plus observatories. i'd think all cities must have observatories for sub200 to happen anyway so take a map with mtn/hill bias and play Inca?

For science slowing down the AI isn't that important. The only threatening wonder is Pisa and if you go for sub200 I doubt you're gonna get it if you're not first at printing press.

After that Inca has good food potential but I fear you're starting to ask for too much from the map.

I requested a new type of HoF game here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=530870

I think this would be the best solution. Anyone who generates a great map can then challenge others to play it under HoF rules of no reloads. IMHO this is a much better way to compare HoF games because as it is now all entries require a unique map which can be a royal PITA sometimes to generate a good one.

Since we want to allow for reroll, might as well use IGE and build ourselves a reasonable (note, reasonable, not all tiles wheat/gems start like I used to do xD) starting location and test whether even under those conditions a deity game can be won in less than 200 turns.

Well, obviously it is possible. The map that glory mentioned was really great but it had barbarians off and I think a different number of city states. Hard to say whether barbs would be beneficial or not as they give you an opportunity to ally CS, get some gold and lost workers. Are we even considering such non standard starts?

Anyway, here is a screenshot of that T193 SV:
Spoiler :

The map that glory mentioned was really great but it had barbarians off and I think a different number of city states.

This game also had legendary start and new random seed on - too much to be 'legit' sub 200T.

In my experience to get an an ultra-uber start you need more than great dirt -- you need to be able to steal a couple of workers (at least!) from a nearby AI by turn 10-12, so to that extent, we're talking about more than just rerolls.

Just for fun I may spend a half hour tonight doing that for Poland, though, who I think has the best shot at this, because, Poland, duh. (Or ... Inca? Korea? Hm.)

Here's something some Inca pros might want to play with:

On my first playthrough
1) Two workers stolen from Dido before turn 20
2) Turn 72 3-city NC (all 3 cities, sweet mountain locations, room for another city or two to the south)
3) Ideal Petra location, missed it on turn 82 by 4 turns (probably doable before then)
4) A LOT of early cash because of all the gold
5) Easy Desert pantheon, lots of faith = lots of great scientists

It was sloppy more Immortal-level play, I think a little more focus would have brought Petra home. Definitely could have done it if I didn't go for philosophy/NC first.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take off raging barbarians, but I'm wondering whether that might be good, slow down the Deity AI a little bit, you know? Not to mention CS quests.

And I think you need to build Petra or else your growth may be too low in the cap. WITH it, though, goddamn.

3 billion years old, dry world.

Attachments

• Pachacuti_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    511 KB · Views: 154
Here's something some Inca pros might want to play with:

On my first playthrough
1) Two workers stolen from Dido before turn 20
2) Turn 72 3-city NC (all 3 cities, sweet mountain locations, room for another city or two to the south)
3) Ideal Petra location, missed it on turn 82 by 4 turns (probably doable before then)
4) A LOT of early cash because of all the gold
5) Easy Desert pantheon, lots of faith = lots of great scientists

It was sloppy more Immortal-level play, I think a little more focus would have brought Petra home. Definitely could have done it if I didn't go for philosophy/NC first.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take off raging barbarians, but I'm wondering whether that might be good, slow down the Deity AI a little bit, you know? Not to mention CS quests.

And I think you need to build Petra or else your growth may be too low in the cap. WITH it, though, goddamn.

3 billion years old, dry world.

Ugh do you have scrambled continents DLC? That's the only one I don't have and I can't load this game.

And yea raging barbs will slow down the AI but I'm fine with that. I like playing with it on once in a while myself.

Top Bottom