Science challenge - Settler to Deity

thanks. interesting. i should look at my personal HoF records. i think i only ever once looked at them before.

Hey guys, long time lurker here. :) I've been trying to get a good result on Settler for a few days now. Finally managed a turn 164 victory today.

Picked Shoshone for free settlers and workers from ruins and Highlands for mountains. This turned out to be a very powerful combo. On Highlands the AI seemed to be worse than usual at scouting so I got a ton of ruins. I declared war on every civ I met and traded away my lux and strategics for gold in peace deals. Barb camps and CS tributes also yielded decent amounts of gold, so I upgraded my Pathfinders into CBs when I had the chance.

The early gold and ruins helped a ton, so I had 4 cities by t25 and 8 workers by t40. Education t73, Industrialization t103 (bulbed a GS), Sci Theory 111. Had to settle a 5th city for coal on t107 or so, then sold it to William. Completed the World's Fair on t138 and hit plastics on t142.

Policy-wise: Full Tradition, Commerce to 25% discount, Rationalism 3, Order to improved internal trade routes, finish Rationalism, Order to free GE and GS.

Sub-t160 should be possible. I think it could've been done on the map I rolled too. I made some stupid mistakes, messed up when prebuilding Oxford and ended up getting Electricity for free rather than Plastics, and I didn't get enough faith for a 2nd engineer which could have shaved off 3-4 turns I think.

Attachments

• 2014-09-15_00002.jpg
    2014-09-15_00002.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 182
I am sorry did you say free settler from ruins? I have never seen that with shoshone or anyone else.

But that is sure very nice winning time.

I am sorry did you say free settler from ruins? I have never seen that with shoshone or anyone else.

But that is sure very nice winning time.

only on settler can you get workers and settlers from ruins...

Hey guys, long time lurker here. :) I've been trying to get a good result on Settler for a few days now. Finally managed a turn 164 victory today.

Damned ! Good job. :goodjob:

Indeed, Shoshones pathfinder is pretty nice on settler. I made a T183 on Pangea, salt start.

I've been trying to get a good result on Settler for a few days now. Finally managed a turn 164 victory today.

Four cities gave you 164T victory :confused: ? -well, settler difficulty must be quite different game

Right now inspired by klaskeren game I'm playing Babylon immortal (I had a fairly long break from the game - I need to to practice - that's why not deity ;)) great plains game.

Looks good - not ideal but definitely I'll beat the current record :)

Attachments

• T88.jpg
    T88.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 153
Now I'm on turn 146.

In the meantime I lost ToA and MP by one turn; also Arabia decided to conquer my mercantile CS so I got few turns of unhappiness :mad:

Fortunately rest things went better :)

My main problem right now is lack of coal, hopefully one of CS will expand and get one but it can take forever

Attachments

• T146.jpg
    T146.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 165
Current game, warlord, I dropped chieftain.
Pretty nice with Spain, Great Plains, 5 mountains cities and Lake Victoria in a sat.
But how can I make a good game with only 3 alus (no other possibilities from CS or AIs land) ? Is it possible to be under T200 if I go to Ecology after Satellites ? Or must I build a settler, travel half of the map to have 8 alus ?
Pretty raging with 5 cities with many river tiles, with hydro plants, I could built parts under 9 turns. :(

Overall I am happy with the result because of the lack of coal it was difficult to play better (I got some coal for a few turns before the end of the game - so didn't even choose Worker's Faculties :( )

I really thinking of playing this game once again with save before ideology and choose freedom instead of order (with no coal freedom growth can be better)

Anyway now I'll try deity with ultimate goal sub 200T :D

Attachments

• T208.jpg
    T208.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 678
And I am interested in your initial save :D

Nice time Ironfighter, can you share a bit more details how you achieved it? For example, did you buy all science buildings or did you concentrate more on RA?

I'd be interested in your pre ideology save

Also if youre zealous your NC save :p

And I am interested in your initial save :D

OK I'll share all this saves as soon as my submission will be accepted (I do not want to mess something with my saves)

Nice time Ironfighter, can you share a bit more details how you achieved it? For example, did you buy all science buildings or did you concentrate more on RA?

I signed only one RA immediately after education for the test and I was pleasantly surprised because it turned out not so bad (but in this period there are so many other things that you can spend the money - rush buy universities, ally CS, etc..) I think the earlier you sign RA the better.
I rush bought one university, few public schools, all RLs

I forgot to mention but I lost LToP by two turns and PT (waited too long - stupid diplomacy screen doesn't show first policy, didn't show somebody took rationalism)
With this sub 200T victory was possible.

Babylon is extremely good at immortal because you can get alot of wonders with this tech that maybe you could risk losing otherwise.

Babylon is extremely good at immortal because you can get alot of wonders with this tech that maybe you could risk losing otherwise.

Although it is true I lost by one or two turns following wonders: ToA, MP, LToP, GT and PT (waited too long).

However despite the lack of coal I managed to achieve quite good result - conclusion - good (but not ridiculously OP) land means more than wonders :)

I decided to take a crack at one of the more vulnerable-looking times. Finished up with a victory on Prince in 233 turns. Far from an unbeatable time but I'll enjoy my crown while it lasts.

Poland on a Lakes map -- Small Lakes for bodies of water, young world for mountains, other settings default. Pretty good dirt with an Observatory in every city. Size 55 capital :crazyeye: Finished with 2,040 bpt, which feels real good but is excessive. I definitely could've started bulbing earlier.

I did a Tradition/Liberty hybrid start where I built Temple of Artemis while waiting for Collective Rule, then a 4-city NC and a fifth city right after. This gave me a pretty slow start (NC turn 90, Eduction around T110-115) but the food ramped well in the mid/late game. I think for Poland on this difficulty a better option would be Great Library into one-city National College, then a few quick Settlers and maybe Temple of Artemis after that. You could probably time this to pick up Aristocracy as your second or third policy, and then the free policy from hitting Philosophy would get you to Collective Rule as fast as a normal civ with Tradiberty. I don't have a good handle on how early Temple of Artemis goes on Prince, so I was probably way too conservative in rushing it...

I'm curious if other people like to build Angkor Wat in their lower-difficulty science runs. My cities were growing so fast that border expansion felt slow even with Tradition bonus, Liberty culture, and free Amphitheaters. I had some space around Education where I didn't have anything high priority and built a Hagia Sophia that I didn't really need. I figure this would've been a natural spot to fit in Angkor Wat instead.

Attachments

• Victory!.jpg
    Victory!.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 101
In case if somebody is still interested I post my saves from my T 208 immortal science Babylon victory game.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    441.2 KB · Views: 49
  • pre ideology save.Civ5Save
    922.6 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom