The Emperor Challenge Lineup - Game #2 Venice

I guess that Globalization doesn't affect the normal cycle of the vote for World Leader?

It just gives you the ability to get extra votes by using your spies as diplomats. I think the fastest way to DV is to get to the Information era first through satellites and then every other world congress (or United Nations) vote will be for the World leader. In my game it was 15 turns after reaching satellites. Perfect timing since I reached Globalization just 1 turn before the vote :)

Wow. I can appreciate how long it takes me to finish games compared to y'all. I have a wife and three young kids, so my playing time is always interrupted by some catastrophe or another.

In any event, this map was just a blast to play on. I settled the hill tile to the south of the starting location, next to the mountain chain. I was fortunate to grab earth mother as a faith pantheon and grabbed Stonehenge to solidify my religion. As Venice, I of course picked tithe as a founder belief and then rocked some cathedrals and happiness for fun. I was the first to found and managed to get the religion spread pretty wide before other civs got rolling with the missionary spam.

I didn't find that taking over too many CS was necessary this game. I grabbed a couple of mercantile CS and puppetted them into doing my bidding, more for the internal good routes than any real need for extra production sites. The initial start with salt and marble made my capital just an insane wonder producer, so I had fun nabbing almost every wonder that I really wanted.

In terms of the AI, Rome was the big bully for the first half of the game. His start made it so that his back was completely clear and he could just eat up cities to the west without defending much in his core. I played nice with him and used his isolated location as a bastion for my religion.

Mongolia of course made the usual mistake of conquering CS early, so both he and Rome were hated by everyone. France became a late power, once he ate Mongolia and a few other neighboring cities. Spain was a non issue - even her religious aggression was pretty tame by her standards. Egypt just sat on three cities and failed at making wonders the whole game. :)

By the early industrial era, I was sick of rome's shenanigans (and had allied every CS) so I paid for an outstanding army and navy and just smashed him. I left him with one tundra city that all the other AIs vainly kept trying to take. For fun I then switched victory types to domination (was previously going for science). I steamrolled the whole continent pretty quickly and had almost everyone under the Venetian jackboot by the late modern era. I won a surprise cultural victory at around turn 320. It was a little late on the victory, but I was enjoying the map so much that I didn't want to rush to the end. I wasn't paying too much attention to the cultural aspect (other than trying to get influence in order to ease the pain of conquest), so it was a little surprising to win in that manner. It helped a lot that nearly every civ had been neutered, so the influence ballooned late in the game.

Thanks to Budweiser for a highly entertaining map! That was easily one of the most fun games I've ever played with Venice. It was cool to have the money Venice always has, but also a highly productive city to bang out wonders with - you just don't get to do that with Venice too often. All in all, a very enjoyable game on a map that I will probably play again (after I get smashed on deity for the 200th time).

Turn 321 Diplo
Spoiler :
Was having fun turtling and building all the wonders so didn't really rush the victory. Most of the continent was at war for the whole game leaving them behind in tech. I was going for science and then changed my mind and went for diplo instead.

Religion was: Fertility Rights / Tithe / Divine Inspiration / Swords into Plowshares / Religious Texts

[/spoiler]

Attachments

• 2015-02-03_00001.jpg
    2015-02-03_00001.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 62
  • 2015-02-03_00002.jpg
    2015-02-03_00002.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 2015-02-03_00003.jpg
    2015-02-03_00003.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 120
Top Bottom