Climate

beatgoeson90

Chieftain
Hi guys,
is there a way to a more specific climate for every civilization? :confused: I mean, for example, more plains and grassland for Rome, desert and oasis for Arabia, tundra for Russia and jungle for Indonesia. :confused: I don't like having desert when playing as Napoleon or tundra when playing as Dido. I' like my game to be more realistic. Is there a specific map or something else that can help me? Thank you for you answers!

Certain civs recieve what is referred to as a starting bias. From what I noticed, the devs have set them up in a way to help the player (or the AI) get the most out of their bonuses/abilities/uniques

Those civs, from my memory include

Brazil, who are more likely to start near Jungle
Venice, who will ALWAYS (almost) start beside Ocean
Dido, who will likely start beside Ocean
Austria, who will likely start near hilly areas
Netherlands, who will start near grassland.

So they do exist, Arabia does have a more likelyhood of starting near desert.

The thing is it's always a roll, and there is no "mod" (or a script, not exactly sure if it's even possible) that I know of that makes it more like you do

Arabia indeed has a desert bias, but that's less reliable within BNW than other starting biases since it's a less common terrain type so if you want a lot of desert you may have to re roll more often than a Grassland bias player wanting a lot of grassland.
(New to BNW is that Morocco also has a desert bias, and if they are in the game there's not likely to be enough desert for the generator to place both of you near desert.)

Changing from default Temperate to Hot increases both Desert & Jungle tiles and decreases Tundra and land ice.

Changing from default climate to Arid increases Desert and decreases Jungle.

Changing from default 4 Million age to 3 Million age should increase hill tiles.

If it's decided to place you in desert or flood plains it will sometimes increase the oasis count.

Hi beatgoeson90, I suggest this mod for you:
Really Advanced Setup

It allows you to alter the start bias of any civilization before the start of a game, as well as many other options.

Top Bottom