Red Turtle modmod

ADHansa

Warlord
A modmod for FFH2 041m

This is my mod for vanilla FFH, with the changes i have done to make the game more enjoyable for me. It is built around changes in python and XML code, mostly since i make al lot of error s when coding and here they are easier to correct immidietlty.

I strive to keep the game feeling close to vanilla. The changes i do is made to to remove those unbalanses that in my mind really makes the game less enjoyable, and to add things that make the game feel more Dark, Medeval and Fantasy. I dispice areaspells, ninja or combo warfare, i will slowly work towards making the mod more based on SoD´s with the strongest built attack meet strongest built defender. Sometimes i will also add small changes just to test them out or to make useless features considerable again.

A thank to all those whos ideas i have borrowed and those that pateintly helped me with my my coding problems. Feel free to borrow anything for your own mods without having to ask if you think you can use it.

At the moment i am working on
- improving in what order the AI chooses complements his initial tier3 units with others or goes fortier 4./finetuning
- how the computer chooses techs on the engeneering and religous line./finetuning and aplying diversity
- At wartime better choose between military and civil produktion. /started
- manipulating the civicchoises by python
- manipulating the combatAI with scipts
- learning the computer to pick up left alone religons
- learning the AI if they fighting a winning/even/losing/desperate war and by that being able to improve the production choises massivly.
- new priestspells, i want the priest to be healers, terraformers and enchanters, not summoners and damagespellcasters.
Any input are appreciated.

http://cid-d00ad5e35c4ec5ff.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Offentlig/Red%20Turtle%201m.zip- Complete zipped file

Changes
Art:
Spoiler :
Used the excellent art from Citystyle mod and my own limited and awful skills to make art for the added improvements.

AI:
Spoiler :
-has got a little better/more modcustumized start tech choice.
- choose the tier2 tech that gives fastest/best advantge.
- considers all terrains within the border and chooses a techpath that connects new resourses if they are within the borders.
- picks up the most optimal offensive/defensive tier2 tech after having got the basic economy/religion.
- choose the tier3 tech that gives fastest/best advantge and values it higher if it can be researched quickly.
- full techpath for AI choises all the way to future tech
- some more minor techchoice changes
- builds the strongest available tier2 offensive/defensive units.
- rewrite of the AI conquest civspecific military production, to have a decling valuation of building more military units.
- considers the terrain around a city when building, strongly prefering monuments if it can connect new resources.
- considers foreign territoty when chosing production, evaluates cultures building higher if tile and especially resourses in the BFC are within foreign borders.
- activly spreads the state and favorite religions to his cities.
- values foodsaving, happyness and healthadding building according to how close to the health/happyness limit the city is.
- avoids some building choices if having a low production.
- some more minor buildchoice changes.

Bulidings
Spoiler :

- added two buildings: the Waterworks and the Town Hall
- Elohim has new UB for pagan tample and libarary
- Dorivello has new UB for hunting lodge.
- Dorivello and Sheiam lost abilaty to build a some military buildings not required for any units.
- blasting workshop now adds +1 fire strength to golems instead of fireballs
- changed the gamling house (cost&bonus) and aqueduct (cost)
- added three wonders: the Necropolis, the Ogham Landmark and the League Counsil
- changed the guild of hammers to mimic the Great library but with adding production instead of research. The League Counsil follows the same logic for gold.
- changed catacomb (i dislike free buildinng wonders) and Guild of the Nine to high research/goldyielding wonders.
- Added a new building, Paymasters Office that allows recruitment of 1 Mercenary/City and Turn
- Added Hippis UB Paymasters Office, Mercenary Recruiter, that instead has a 7% chans of spawning a Retired Mercenary each turn.
- all buildings cost multiples of 30 for aestetic reasons.

Units
Spoiler :

- Changed the Pyre Zombie, now a strong tier2 unit
that doesnt explode available at Necromancy
- Warriors cannot use Bronze weapons.
- The Dorivello now has slightly stronger UU hanters and rangers
- Added a unitclass (Treeherders) that can build improvements in ancient forests.
- The Chariot Unitclass is removed.
- A new unitcombat class introduced, the Mounted Chargers, with the units Lancer, Knight and Catapracht at respective tiers.
- Only the Melee and Mounted Charger line use metal weapon promotions, units that have lost that abilaty have got higher base strength to compensate.
- Tier 2 units cannot use Mithril weaponry.
- almost all units cost are multiples of 30 for aestetic reasons. (excapt one at 15 and one at 75)

Traits:
Spoiler :

- Finacial now give 2gold/city instead of tile increases
- Raiders now give bounty hunter promotion instead of commando
- Arcane now give 2beakers/city
- Defensive now adds 20% within borders, 10% city defense bonus, but no withdrawal.

Civilsations & Leaders:
Spoiler :

- Elohim now has some unique buildings instead of tolerant trait
- Doviello got some new unique units, buildings and improvements
- Elves can no longer build all improvements in forests, has got special forest improvements only available to them instead
- Many leader have new favorite civics

World spells:
Spoiler :

- Calabim & Illians worldspell have no negative effects for other civs
- Illians have a completely new worldspell

Civilopedia:
Spoiler :
- Incorporated Denevs excellent mod, and mostly only the name text for my own added features.

Civics:
Spoiler :
- Completely redone, built on that later civic should generally be a little bit, give or take that they might be situational.

Techs:
Spoiler :
-Tech tree somewhat redone
- 3 new techs added, Biology, Crop Rotation and Burghers.
- Tech cost changed to multiples of 40 for aestetic reasons.
- Some minor tech cost changes to alter balance.

Terrain, Bonuses and improvements:
Spoiler :

- Those resourses that might have bin questionable to connect before like Marble, Sugar, Cotton and such, have all gotten better bonuses so that the become worthwhile to connect.
- Camps get an extra food at hunting, and is buildable already at exploring
- Doviello can build Hunting grounds on tundra, ice and instead of camps. Gives more food and resorses then ordinary camps.
- Incense functions at mystisism
- Gatherer improvement added, fast built improvement that add commerse to forests while haveing the starting civic.
- Set of improvements for Elven workers
- Ancient forests adds 2 commerse instead of 1 food
- Normal Buildings can not built in ancient forests
- Set of improvements for ancient forests

Economy in Red Turtle:

The economy in Red Turtle differs some from vanilla, most especially since City States, Guardian of Nature and Aristocracy has bin removed.

I haven't played and balansed the game completely yet, but here is how aiming for the the game to be like.

At the start of the game you have an economic option not available in vanilla. There is a new fast built improvement called Gatherer that you can build in forests that give one commerce as long as your economic civici s Opportonist, and one extra commerce along rivers. This means you will not be economicly crippeled if starting in a dense forest. You can gain an extra commerse from gatherers if you adapt the social structure of Elders Guidance, wich also has synergi with Elder Counsils. This means you can start relativly strong "gatherer ecomony" early if you have a lot of (riverside) forests, that also have the advantage of giving your cities some extra hammers. But pretty fast other Civs/Improvement catch up, especially with the tech Centralisation (that allows cottages, lumbermills and the civic Tolls & Permits) a basic cottage economy becomes increasingly advateus compared to a gatherer economy.

A variant of aristoagranism is still availabe through Agrarianism and Serfdom. I am still working on fine tuning it, and when i have found how to set it up so that it synergises with Vassalisation i will better describe how to use those three together.

Elven econmy is changed now that they have restricted improvements in forest, and ancient gives 2 commerse instead of 1 food. This generally makes elven cities smaller, but yet gives more commerse to them. They are not at the same level megacities powerhouse in vanilla, but can still build up a fine economy that gives a technological edge.

For those using cottage-economy things are alot as usual. Leader Cult has bin downgraded a bit, but with Governers you can have a larger capital to use as the production/commerce center. You can also choose the civic Assembly if preferring shifting the capital focus from production to commerse.
The cottage economy is nicely frees up the option for the civics Free Towns or Empire once your economy grows larger, those civics lowers maintaince so that more cities are economly viable.

On a further notice i removed the windmill, i have now made mines the obvious option for hills in those cases production is as important as commerse. To improve mines one should tech down the Engenering line, stoping by Currency to pick up a commerse on mines. Ones finished the egeneering line makes mines the best production improvement.

I looked a bit at the AI coding and I think i will use a few tweaks :) very nice.

I thought at first, you had changed warrior cost to 30 because of balance reasons.

Maybe you should combine this with Tweakmod, since it seems to have the same sort of things, and is quite complimentary.

This looks pretty interesting. I particularly like the removal of fireball-golems :goodjob:.

In my own personal modmod I tend to change Pyre zombies too, although I let them continue to explode but give them only 1 physical strength, and 3 fire strength. This makes them still pretty powerful, but slightly variable in strength. Against the Luchuip at the same tech level, all their little wood golems are toast, on the other hand the pyre zombies become fairly worthless against Orcs (I buff their fire resistance slightly) and demons too iirc. Also, they can't use metal weapons in my version, although I forget whether that was a change I made myself or something present in base FFH.

Looked at tweakmod and will import some aspects from there, but it won't be a complete combine, i will only use that what i really like and only when i have mood to look into it. I have already bin looking what he did with Doviello, I feel that they need a little flavor/boost and some ideas are to my liking.

Updated for patch m.

New content added, mostly conserning AI early game tech choice, AI tier 3 techpath choice, and a AI cityradius check buildrating modifier and Doviello flavour.

I somewhat disagree with the removal of Windmills and the Alteration of the Financial trait.

on another note, does anyone still use Financial, and is Raiders ever NOT used?

Like Tasunke, I feel windmills should be added back in. Bounty Hunter should probably be cut down to +1 gold/combat(or you could add in a new promotion that gives +1 gold/combat, that stacks with bounty hunter. Call it looter or something.)

Luchruip are very weak now. The loss of Financial's tile bonus severely crippled them, and the loss of fireball golems hurt even worse.

I can mod the windmill back in, the only reason i removed was because i found it distracting, hard to find a role for and a little offlore, but i can just as well keep it.

I am not done with balansing the traits. The reason i changed Finansial was that it synergized best with a farmbased economy, and i thought that was unsuiting. I also thought it was generally a bit over the top before so i wanted to nerf it, but have i instead underpowered it with the change?
I just hated playing with or against armywide commando, that why i changed Raider. Bounty Hunter was just a quick fix. I have tried to come up with final not to hard to code replacement, but haven't found anything i really like yet. To change it back to Commando is not an option. Any sugestions?

I tested playing a few games with Luichurp when i changed them, only on emperor but i won pretty easy. If i remered right i usually went for Archery, then Construcion, then Smelting for Guilds of Hammers. Then Knowlodge of Ether for a repair crew and finally Iron working. With that i managed to build catapult/adept/golem unrelentless attack forces and set up a Great Engeneer producing ?Golden Hammers?/Guild of Hammers/Heroic epic city that won me most of the important wonders. They didn't feel weak at least. Ì will play a few more games on a little higher setting to see how wrong i was.

ok, I think Raider should add the "raider" promotion to units. A complex view of this could be that it will steal Metal Promotions from battle, so if an axeman with raider fights a copper axeman, it will have copper weapons, if it then later fights an Iron Axeman, it will have Iron Weapons, if Mithril, Mithril Weapons ... if this doesn't make it as part of the raider promotion, then I think it should be included in the Doviello default race. Also, +1 gold from combat and +10% withdrawal, as well as tripling the gold output of City Sacking and Improvement pillaging.

Top Bottom