Football Thread No. 9

So, none of the Euro 2012 "group of death" teams managed to win their friendlies. Particularly troubling, the 5-3 defeat of Germany to the Swiss, without Bayern players.

Why exactly was the loss of Germany troubling?

The way they played, I agree, but Switzerland is far from being a bad team. And we always excell at playing better teams (beating Spain, but drawing to Honduras at last WC; drawing at Wembley but failing to beat Montenegro in the qualification for this EC).

Why exactly was the loss of Germany troubling?

The way they played, I agree, but Switzerland is far from being a bad team. And we always excell at playing better teams (beating Spain, but drawing to Honduras at last WC; drawing at Wembley but failing to beat Montenegro in the qualification for this EC).

It's troubling because Germany is one of the favourites to win the Euro, not because of Switzerland. I didn't mean to imply anything about the Swiss team, just that if you want to win the Euro or the WC, your team must be capable of beating everybody.

Makes you wish the Anschluß came back, eh?

(yay Godwyn!)

EURO 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18260738

Ballotelli threatning to walk off, Sol Cambell warning people not to go

It seems there are some serious concerns from Black players about racism.

On a more positive note listened to a great piece last night on BBC radio 5 about Avram Grant going to Auschwitz, seems like Roy is taking the England player there, maybe it will bring them out of their bubble of self importance

I like the part where he says he considers himself a genius. And I don't think he means it just in a football sense.

i'd rather kill myself with a rusty butter knife than support a german national football team.

:undecide: Brainwashing by regional separatism is bad for you.

I am hoping England and France meet in the final

i'd rather kill myself with a rusty butter knife than support a german national football team.
The capital'd be in Vienna of course. No such thing as a 'Germany'. :p

I'd trade you that for backing in a few concessions.
I am hoping England and France meet in the final
Allez la France!

The capital'd be in Vienna of course. No such thing as a 'Germany'. :p
What? Even if Austria only merged with Bavaria, the capital couldn't be Vienna. :p

So the Italian matchfixing scandals are now having statements pronounced by the Prime Minister himself who suggests just not playing football for a couple years. :undecide:
What? Even if Austria only merged with Bavaria, the capital couldn't be Vienna. :p
How come?

How come?
Mostly because the Bavarians by far outnumber the Austrians. Why would they let themselves get ruled by a tiny minority?

So the Italian matchfixing scandals are now having statements pronounced by the Prime Minister himself who suggests just not playing football for a couple years. :undecide:
That cracked me up. :lol: The last time, they came up with a matchfixing scandal, the Italians went on winning the World Cup...

That cracked me up. :lol: The last time, they came up with a matchfixing scandal, the Italians went on winning the World Cup...

Actually, it was the case in 1982 as well. The back against the wall just galvanizes us, I guess.

Mostly because the Bavarians by far outnumber the Austrians. Why would they let themselves get ruled by a tiny minority
Pangur Bán;11535756 said:
The old capital of Bavaria was Salzburg.
PWNED!
Actually, it was the case in 1982 as well. The back against the wall just galvanizes us, I guess.
Il Duce himself did it, too. :D

Who will score the first goal? Poland vs Greece is the opening match.

Except that I don't think Salzburg ever was Bavaria's capital. It was part of Bavaria for some time but, as far as I know, never the city from which Bavaria was ruled. The ancient capital of Bavaria is Regensburg.

Except that I don't think Salzburg ever was Bavaria's capital. It was part of Bavaria for some time but, as far as I know, never the city from which Bavaria was ruled. The ancient capital of Bavaria is Regensburg.

It was surely the de facto capital of Bavaria in the 8th and 9th centuries, at which time the see of Salzburg was made archbishop of all Bavaria. It's anachronistic to talk of capitals in the early middle ages of course, but you can talk of "chief seats" and Bavaria's was surely Salzburg at that time.

Top Bottom