How is the AI keeping up with me in terms of tech?1

Strange, what i usually see is the AI beelines for something like civil service. Ive seen AIs get chichen itza without even bothering to research something like iron working. Meanwhile i have to get most of the low level techs for luxuries, etc.

Its happening again, i beelined civil service only to discover that persia managed to build chichen itza just as i finished researching the tech.

He has more high level techs than i do and i even removed the 15% AI tech bonus...

This is really frustrating, what is going on?

Attachments

• civ5 4.jpg
    civ5 4.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 50
  • civ5 5.jpg
    civ5 5.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 67
After unlocking his UU, Darius will usually beeline Civil Service for CI and extra Golden Age length, which stacks with his UA. So the fact that it was Darius, and not some other AI, that built CI is unsurprising. Look out for a bunch of Immortals on your doorstep during Darius's next Golden Age.

When you say you beelined Civil Service, did you truly just click on Civil Service as your first tech, setting up a beeline tech queue, or do you mean you headed towards Civil Service in a more or less straight line? Philosophy is not required for Civil Service, so does that mean you still haven't built your NC? Neither the mining nor sailing tech lines are required for Civil Service, but we often need to grab some of those techs to improve luxuries, which interrupts the beeline. So, there are beelines and there are "beelines" -- which did you do?

Also, if Darius enjoyed more fertile tiles (e.g., cows, bananas, etc.), he may have simply out-teched you through early population growth (and/or early trade route beakers).

I got philosophy first for national college then got a couple more techs as i needed them. Whats annoying is that Persia has the same techs as i do, but guilds in addition to civil service, and he started work on chichen itza before i could even research civil service. And as you can see, i have much higher science output than he does...

You have higher science output that he does now (post NC), but that doesn't mean you always had higher science output.

I don't use InfoAddict, so I can't comment on how that mod tells you what specific techs the AI has (neither screenie you posted shows that, just that Darius has 21 techs and you have 20).

In any event, piecing all of this together, you removed the AI's initial free techs and research boni and Darius still beat you to CI? All I can say is :goodjob: Darius!

Well, on the screenshot it looks like he's only 2, maybe 3 cities, so it's easy to assume that he has probably had a faster start than you while you expanded to 4 cities, which is generally rather slow in bnw since you can't buy that extra settler.

If you have the saves, check their science output on turn 20, 40, 60 etc. - and also check how things change with a 3-city-opening.

While I don't mod and remove AI bonuses, all I can say is that I really don't care how far ahead the AI is until I hit the renaissance era. In normal games, with a standard tradition opening, I don't usually surpass the AI until the renaissance era. That does not mean you are doing poorly, but that is not to say you are doing well.

I keep seeing posts of yours, and they all seem to focus on how the AI cheats, rather than looking at improving your skills. The game will be far more enjoyable if you focus on improving, and not worrying so much about the AI's advantages.

While I don't mod and remove AI bonuses, all I can say is that I really don't care how far ahead the AI is until I hit the renaissance era. In normal games, with a standard tradition opening, I don't usually surpass the AI until the renaissance era. That does not mean you are doing poorly, but that is not to say you are doing well.

I keep seeing posts of yours, and they all seem to focus on how the AI cheats, rather than looking at improving your skills. The game will be far more enjoyable if you focus on improving, and not worrying so much about the AI's advantages.

:agree:

AI "cheats" in all games.

I wonder how fun Skyrim would be have been if a Bandits Level 1 would have Player Level 1 stats. Every battle = 50/50 of survival, against one bandit that is and you rarely face just one bandit.

Actually, alhambra is good, because that rough promotion gets you closer to the really good promotions, after rough 3. Xbows can get logistics at 60xp. Combined with brandenburg you even get 60xp from the starting block.

Top Bottom