New NESes, ideas, development, etc

You guys think that of Castile and not Mickzter97 right? Otherwise im screwed no matter which nation I choose.

Going back over the ideas I had for CityNES, I've decided to redesign the map, but I'm going to do it EltNES style. I'm writing up my own map creation ruleset, upon which something significantly different from what I originally envisioned will take place.

The map creation phase will have three phases - creating the coasts, the landscape features and placing the cities. From then on, I intend what was CityNES to be based around familial groups, each of which is not necessarily limited to a single location. SK and maybe a couple of other people might recognise Feud elements in what I have planned.

To be honest, the concept has changed in my mind and on paper so much that the name is also changing. 'OptNES' is the working title, but I reserve the rights to completely alter it within the time before I start it, which will be a lot sooner than I'd originally planned, probably within a month.

This would be the map creation ruleset:

1 Map Creation Phase
---1.1 First Stage

Stage 1 involves creating the shape of the land. Each turn, each player can determine the location of the land and water in one tile, which I will then draw onto the map. To join in this stage, simply post – letting me know that you’re joining – and then post an order.
Islands will be permitted, but we are aiming for a part of a single landmass, and I have veto powers (I am the GM, after all).
After five turns, I will finish off the coasts to my liking.
---1.2 Second Stage
The second stage of map creation borrows heavily from ‘EltNES: This World is Yours’, and will involve the creation of the natural features on the map. Players will receive between 10 and 20 points per turn, and the phase will last 10 updates.
Spoiler details :
Peak: 3 points, limit of 50 on map
Forest: 16 points to cover about ¼ of a square. You can do smaller fractions of squares for smaller numbers of points. Forests will be limited to about 40% of the map.
River: 5 points, tell me where it starts, ends, what tiles the main river runs through. I’ll do tributaries.
Hills: 3 points. Limited to about 20% of map.

Please place features where they would be natural, not just randomly strewn across the map.
---1.3 Third Stage
The third stage is the placement of the cities, and will return to the format of Stage 1. The stage will last two turns, and each turn a player will determine the location of a city along with its name. Try and stick with Greek-sounding names, as that is the feel I would like the NES to achieve during the NES proper.

I made a possible tech tree for a Renaissance Era NES that I might start...
Any changes?
Spoiler Tech Tree :

Example of Possible Stats

Spoiler :
England: Mickzter97
Government: Absolute Monarchy / King Henry CCXXII
Capital: London
Religion: Catholic - 90%
Religious Strength: 60%
Technology: Currency, Chemistry, Astronomy, Colonisation
Economic Points: 5 (+20)
Manpower: 53 (+5)
Stability: 8
Army: 8 English Longbowmen, 15 Musketmen, 7 Knights
Army Quality: 6/10
Navy: 15 Galleys, 10 Frigates, 23 Cogs, 8 Royal Galleys
Navy Quality: 9/10
Colonies: 2 (+10EP)
Spoiler :
English North Africa
Economic Points: +5
Manpower: 10
2 Knights

English Kongo
Economic Points: +5
Manpower: 5
1 Musketman

Religion as Percentage=:???:

As this is the Renaissance Era, you'll be starting before 1492, right?

For Optical; That would be fun, but I would suggest limiting the number of city-states. If you get an inspired following, you may end up with over 25. ;)

The first percentage is the % of the pop. that follow that religion, the second is the strength, how much influence it still has over the general public. The Papal States will have something like 97% of strength, but other nations, depending on how they welcome new ideas, the strength will be lower. I'm actually going to start around 1450, where religion still had some power, and was killing all those who said the Earth went around the sun.
Remember, this is still only possible, I might still change alot.

OptNES: Thiese cities are Yours! Looks good Optical. I might even participate, if it starts after mah hiatus.

I love M*A*S*H :D SKILORD is my hero.

@Optical: Sounds good :) I'd play.

@Mickzter: Sounds interesting. Will this be historical start, or an althist of some kind?

We need a Community NES, where social cliques in such an institution are built up in Popularity until the Paintball Tournament which would happen every, say, four turns.

I bet if we told Abed about it we could score a bunch of new recruits to the forum.

I'd run it, but I LOVE Absolution with all of my heart and I'm starting a new job tomorrow.

DaftNESIV reboot is somewhat complicated by re-defining the rules, again. I was wondering if anyone would care to offer any opinions on this rough draft?? Apologies for the lack of formatting. /attentionwhoring

---------------------------------------------------------

This NES is now restarting after a 6-month hiatus. Free slots have opened up and all are welcome to part, but I mostly encourage players who are looking for interesting scenarios and for world-building opportunities. There is no 'right' way to play, nor is there an expectation that all players must head for the civilized, industrialized route.

The Prophecy

Welcome, guiding deities. This is a world like our own used to be, yet very different... The continents are warped and re-arranged, and while many of their plants and beasts are familiar to you, there are many others that are not. This world will not be tamed so easily - great monsters roam the wilderness, and rival branches of the hominid family may yet be encountered. Guiding spirits are needed to wrestle a civilization from the maw of nature...

This is partly an experimental NES, partly a sprite pixel artwork... Partly gamey, partly world-building. Some rules, and some roleplay. Partly light-hearted, but also meant to represent a real world with all the depth and complexities therein. I don't know the route this NES will take, but the idea is to arrive at a clash-of-nations similar to board-game style NESes I have run in the past, except with a world that is much richer in history and has more player involvement behind it. I also want to see if I can mod a world all the way through the ages (having one success so far), and develop an array of graphics and flexible rules along the way.

For myself, the advance wars style of graphics is fun, easily customisable and is a good way to display lots of information on the map. I am creating 99% of the graphics that you see on the map, and will be able to visualise your ideas for appearances, weapons, buildings and vehicles to some extent, so please do post suggestions and images.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Stages of Civilization

Stage I: Tribes

Spoiler :
  • There is no Eco: your resource is your people, represented by tribal unit icons on the map. Each can perform one task per turn, while moving / migrating if desired.

• You are the guiding spirit of many tribes that sharing a common culture. This guiding spirit may manifest as specific shamans or leaders, at your choosing. But the main point is that your people are assumed to squabble with each other and compete for resources amongst themselves. Be wary that a cultural split may occur amongst widely dispersed people (appearance of NPC splinters). This can be offset with investment of time in cultural pursuits.

• As guiding spirit, you may choose your people's occupations per turn: each unit/tribe can be guided towards hunting, fishing, foraging, fighting other tribes, or attempting animal domestication. They can do this where they are, or while migrating to/through other territories.

• Plants can also be investigated for later domestication, though they are of limited use for nomadic peoples.

• For special building projects, you have boats (that can carry at least one unit across water), and cultural monuments (that grow in effect and influence as more time is spent adding to them).

• You can create a Shaman from any of your units, representing an elite religious / political group. Shamans are influential leaders, but not great for manual tasks. They rally the people, but be wary of creating two or more Shamans at a time as this may split your culture into separate entities.

• Your people can meet with other cultures, whence you may fight them to forestall competition for food, or try to absorb them into your culture.

• Populations will rise (and fall) automatically. More highly-populated regions will have slower (if any) growth as easy food sources are maxed out. This is where fighting is likely, and people will begin to migrate automatically.

• Finally, tribespeople can try to settle down, by spending a turn to build a hut (village)

Stage II: Villages

Spoiler :
  • There is still no Eco: you remain in control of tribal units as a guiding entity.

• Boat building and monument building are more effective near huts / villages.

• Using huts (one hut can be used by one unit per turn), tribe units can commence production of generic tools, cultural artifacts, and weapons. However, while busy with such tasks, they require another unit to provide food, ideally from a reliable source such as domesticated meat or crops.

• Shamans remain influential units at this time.

• Domestication of plants / animals will tend to allow more people to live comfortably together in a single territory. Huts allow serious crop farming to begin.

• At some point, a city can spontaneously appear with the right combination of ingredients: high population, numerous huts, food surplus, trade connections and cultural nudges... Not all are needed, but they all will help.

Stage III: City-States

Spoiler :
  • City-States must be role-played to a certain extent! They must be controlled individually, and must all be self-serving in their actions. You cannot abuse them by being self-destructive, not unless there is good reason for a civil war. Nor can a city selflessly serve another city or any tribal peoples. I will not accept orders otherwise.

• City-States have Action points in four flavours, represented by icons: Military (Helmet), Labour (Hammer), Culture (Hand), Trade (Amphora/Vase). These are also shown in the colour of the player (culture) that controls them - several players can thus compete for control of a City-State, each with control of different parts of its society. Each icon also represents a unit of population.

• City-States also have Wealth / Infrastructure / Development ratings, represented by the bar icons next to the other icons. Each 'filled' bar represents development, each 'empty' (dark grey) bar represents room for improvement. A greater proportion of 'filled' bars mean faster population growth, happier people and less chance of disease and starvation. Your Wealth points can also be spent / cannibalised at a later date, in order to 'supercharge' your Actions for that turn - at a maximum of one per Action point. Wealth points can also be traded with other cities in exchange for something, or indeed pillaged and stolen by others.

• As a common action, any Action point can be spent to invest in Infrastructure / accumulate Wealth. Be aware this will benefit the whole city including other players / cultures that have population there.

• Specific Actions:

Military Icons (helmet)
    • Temporarily leave the city to go on campaign (attack someone?).
    • Attempt to recruit and train a Labourer / Cultural / Trader population in the city to become Military.
    • Extensive training to develop new skills / tactics.
    • Upgrade weapons.
    • Build siege engines for offensive or defensive use.
    • Improve a city's defences.
    • Build boats of improved quality.
    • Other, please suggest!

Labour Icons: (hammer)
    • Temporarily leave the city to go on campaign as citizen-soldiers.
    • Mass produce specific tools / weapons.
    • Build siege engines for offensive or defensive use.
    • Build / expand monuments of improved quality.
    • Improve a city's defences.
    • Other, please suggest!

Cultural Icons: (hand)
    • Temporarily leave the city to go on campaign as warrior-priests, ideally in support of other forces.
    • Attempt to convert tribe units or foreign citizens to your culture. By doing this you may gain some control in other cities, or remove foreign influence in your cities.
    • Attempt to recruit and train a Military / Labourer / Trader population in the city to become Cultural.
    • Send a respected ambassador to another city or tribal village, to improve formal relations.
    • Build / expand monuments of improved quality.
    • Other, please suggest!

Trade Icons: (vase/amphora)
    • Trade aggressively, in the hopes of gaining (stealing / converting) Trade in other cities, or to remove foreign traders from your cities.
    • Fund an expedition (over land and sea) in the hopes of finding new trade routes / trade goods.
    • Hire mercenaries for a turn!
    • Other, please suggest!

• As focus shifts to cities, you remain in nominal control of tribal units, but not directly - only general orders are needed for them, as they slowly become generic countryside inhabitants and food-producers. Specific orders for each tribal unit will probably no longer be followed. Shamans remain influential however, and if settling in one of the emerging cities are likely to spawn an organised religion.

• So can you manually go and settle all your tribespeople into cities? No, 'fraid not - Immigration will happen automatically, at a rate the cities can handle, and at a rate that tribepeople want to give up their old lifestyle.

Stage IV: The State
Spoiler :
- A State is a collection of numerous cities that now work together for the common good, contributing together for great ventures and monuments.
- A state has its own colour, name, and borders on the map.
- Your military population / economy is now mobile (usually), and can be moved between cities or stationed in forts / ports.
- One city shall be your capital.
- A government style can be chosen / invented, which awards some bonus effect.
- To take up control of a State, you must forfeit direct control of any other city state or tribal units (though your base culture will remain, and can still be influenced by your actions).
- details to follow!

Stage V: The Nation
Spoiler :
- With advances in transport and communication, you finally have a global Eco income, which is now measured by territories, not specific cities. Province income is based around the number of cities, factories and etc.
- Military units can be trained en mass using Eco alone, to within turnly production limits set by the number of cities and factories you have. Your standing army is free from specific cities or forts, but is now a net drain on the economy and requires upkeep.
- Spending on specific technologies is possible.
- Strategic resource shortages and surpluses are possible, with benefits and drawbacks to your military performance and/or Eco income/growth.
- A government style can be further developed, with chosen bonus effects.
- details to follow!

Top Bottom