Tech industry general discussion thread

On the Wii U I've seen a grand total of zero adverts on the television about it. It was released with ZERO fanfare or any marketing strategy of any kind. All I know was that it came out several months ago, it's called the Wii U and it has a screen on the controller. Thats all i've gleaned from my life in that time. Total failure from a marketing perspective.

The reason I say this is think about how Windows got the vast majority of the marketshare despite the perfection of OSX.

The reason for this is Microsoft allows anyone to run a computer on Windows whereas Apple requires you to buy their own computer to get OSX. What I'm saying is the real profit is in the software, not the hardware.

Hold on a second, there. Windows already had close to 95% market share before OSX even came to market, circa 2001. And Apple's OS in the years prior to that was Mac OS Classic, versions 8 and 9, which compared to Windows at the time was horrible. I had the misfortune of attending a school that had Apples with OS 9 until 2007. I'd take Windows 98 or 2000 over Mac OS 9 any day.

And from what I've read (though I don't have any personal experience with early versions of OSX), for the first version to two versions of OSX, OS 9 was in many ways a better product and a lot of users preferred it. So it wasn't until 2003 or 2004 that Apple had a really competitive OS product.

Though I would agree that Microsoft's allowing everyone to install Windows, and perhaps more importantly, encouraging pre-installation, was important in achieving Windows' market share. But for most of the '90s and the early 2000's, Microsoft also had, for a high majority of computer users, a superior product to Apple. The better argument for sales techniques winning out over a superior product may be Windows vs. OS/2.

I don't even know what the Wii U is. To me it is the thing with the tablet controller thingamabob that was in that one picture on that website once.

I think that summarizes Nintendo's problem. No one really knows what the Wii U is, or what benefit they get from it, other than they now have a tablet thingamabob. Whereas with something like the PS4, you already know that it'll let you play games that look way more amazing than what you can currently play on a PS3 or XBox 360, among other things like being able to play offline and the video camera being optional.

On the Wii U I've seen a grand total of zero adverts on the television about it. It was released with ZERO fanfare or any marketing strategy of any kind. All I know was that it came out several months ago, it's called the Wii U and it has a screen on the controller. Thats all i've gleaned from my life in that time. Total failure from a marketing perspective.

Are you kidding? Pikman 3 ads are all over the place right now. Presumably the advertising has ramped up now that they actually have a game worth hyping.

Even with Wii U, with all its shortcomings, would be much better if Nintendo could just learn from their competitors. For example, consider the game 'Playstation All Stars Battle Royal' for the Playstation 3 and Vita. The game came out much faster than the next super smash bros game will (in comparison to the Vita's launch date to Wii U's launch).

Sony simply added 'downloadable content' (for a fee, of course) where you can buy additional characters later on. Instead of waiting a long time to wait for the next super smash bros. game to 'perfect' it at launch it's better to actually release it earlier rather than later. In other words, if the next SSB game was even within six months of the Wii U's launch, the system as a whole would be much better off, and they need to be doing that not just with that game with all of their 'heavy guns' (a.k.a nintendo exclusive franchises that people want/expect).

The bottom line is pretty much all of their competitors are not afraid of adding downloadable content later on with more stuff so it doesn't take forever to release the game in the first place, and Nintendo really needs to learn from this.

I don't think DLC is a function of rushing release to finish the game later. I think DLC is simply how every developer has decided to commodify & lengthen the life-cycle of the game.

Well in that case they should have made their 'must have' franchises like SSB a priority rather than games that not near as many people want to play.

edit: either way they should consider adding DLC

Wonderful. Now if only iOS would remove the setting that disables flash.

My brother is a flash animator, and he told me that iOS was specifically built to edge flash out of the Web and to push html5. No idea if it's that simple, though.

Well, when iOS first came out, running Flash on the original iphone would have resulted in terrible performance and battery life in exchange for having desktop Flash ads getting in your way when trying to browse the web.

At this point, none of the major mobile platforms support Flash on the phone form factor, and I don't really see any upside to introducing Flash support. Win 8/RT tablets support Flash on account of them having full desktop IE.

Flash is responsible for 9 out of 10 crashes in the long running unscientific poll I have been conducting during my internet life. I would love to see it die. Unfortunately I stream lots of media from the web at home and lots of web players still use it, apparently.

Firefox 23 has removed the UI setting to disable javascript! :goodjob:

Thanks, now I know to avoid that version, not that I often disable js in Firefox.

Idk who made such a defective decision but limiting user options is frustrates me on a personal level. What's that Mozilla? Was a check box to disable js too complicated for the average layperson? Now instead if they have a need to disable js they will need to spend time spelunking through the technical arena of about:config filled with all sorts of scary words like "this might void your warranty". :lol:

Are you kidding? Pikman 3 ads are all over the place right now. Presumably the advertising has ramped up now that they actually have a game worth hyping.

I haven't actually seen that advert, but someone else informed me of them. Now you're the second one. Still, it has taken 8-9 months for some proper advertising.

Thanks, now I know to avoid that version, not that I often disable js in Firefox.

Idk who made such a defective decision but limiting user options is frustrates me on a personal level. What's that Mozilla? Was a check box to disable js too complicated for the average layperson? Now instead if they have a need to disable js they will need to spend time spelunking through the technical arena of about:config filled with all sorts of scary words like "this might void your warranty". :lol:

You shouldn't disable javascript.

It's like having a checkbox to disable css or html5.

And you shouldn't use old versions of any browser, they've got security holes.

You shouldn't disable javascript.

You, nor Mozilla, should not make that decision for every other user on the planet. Luckily, there are choices on the market. Just like how I immediately rejected the latest Opera because they stupidly... REALLY STUPIDLY... decided bookmarks were passé.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/8/4602828/google-maps-search-result-ads-ios-android-apps

"Google is beginning to build ads into its Maps search results on iOS and Android. Starting today, when users search for general business types — such as a convenience store or a gardening shop — their very first result may be a business that's paid to be lifted to the top."
I'm pretty sure this already happens - when I search for shops by name I often get competitor shops appearing ahead of that shop. This happens even when the shop I'm looking for is much closer. Either Google's algorithm is crap, or they've been doing this for at least a year.

In fact I've noticed that searching for things by name is almost always better done on a different search engine... So it may well be that Google's algorithm is crap.

Top Bottom