Resource icon

Exploration Continued Expanded (Obsolete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people still want to keep their Scout-Archers, but IDK. It would be easy enough to disable the effects for starting units, I just wanted to get some practical feedback on the matter before doing anything about it.

In the game I was playing last night, my Scout popped a ruin and became a Scarcher. My initial reaction was, "Noooo!" Much different from my old reaction.

Yeah, exactly. Like they would get a randomly chosen promotion each turn (with Mild Breeze occurring most often):

Opposite Winds - -2 movement points
Calm - -1 movement point
Mild Breeze - no change to movement points
Good Winds - +1 movement point
Gale - +2 movement points, takes 15 HP damage

Shouldn't "Calm" and "Mild Breeze" be switched on that list? Calm means no breeze at all.

I'm going to play this mod as soon as its expansion will continue...
(Got it?)

(Sorry to DP)
Okay, feedback:

Attrition is cool. Scurvy isn't. Scurvy is unplayable.

Suggestions:

• Limit scurvy to ocean tiles\remove dissapearing chance in coastal tiles, and reduce damage from scurvy to 10 HP.
• Increase disease chance for civilian units, reduce for non-civilian.

Completely agreed.

I don't care too much about colonies. I want trade.
(Do i have to use the community patch? Why? It makes AIs annoying...)
Please make updates not break saved games. Please?

Calm - no wind at all, so no power for sails.

Yeah, duh, I don't know what I was thinking. My only excuse is that I posted that early in the morning. I must have thought he meant a minor breeze in the wrong direction rather than at your back.

If you want to limit early naval exploration, then scurvy on coastal tiles should only effect galleys/triremes/galleasses. I could deal with that. For ships in the Renaissance and beyond, I'd rather scurvy just be on the ocean. It sort of makes sense in that time passes faster in the earlier turns. The slight hit to scurvy damage also sounds good.

I don't think being lost at sea should apply to coastal tiles. Kind of ridiculous that I lost a tongiaki right next to shore (unless that's exceedingly unlucky). I could understand a coastal tile that's surrounded by water, but not one that's next to land.

For sss64sss, TranquilSilence, and anyone else that may still be having a TXT_KEY issue; the problem is probably related to the Piety and Prestige balance patch. Delete the "Terrain," folder which contains duplicate text entries for resources that will also be included in ExCE.

Also, for what it's worth I think Natan and Jan's ideas for scurvy would be a big improvement.

Unfortunately, I've no idea. Are they all the mods you're using? Others have used P&P, CulDiv, and ExCE together fine. Your database log might shed some better light.

Does the Woodman promotion give immunity to Thick Forest instant loss? And does the scurvy immunity apply only to regular Polynesia, or is there compatibility for the More Civs Polynesia pack (or is that their job :p)?

Awesome looking mod, I can't wait to try it out!

Yes, Thick Forest and Jungle are treated as the same, so Woodsman gives immunity to both. More Civs should probably add Scurvy immunity to the Tongan UU.

Would it be possible to grant the civs that gain the pacific island bonuses in CulDiv scurvy immunity for their starting units as well. I can imagine the loss of that starting scout and warrior to scurvy would be a tad annoying.

It also seems that at least the Sacred Groves belief is not granting the appropriate yields to Oak and Cedar tiles. No idea if this affects the other belief however.

Will take a look at the Sacred Groves belief. And I can do that with Pacific.

In the game I was playing last night, my Scout popped a ruin and became a Scarcher. My initial reaction was, "Noooo!" Much different from my old reaction.

Oh, interesting. I can fix that.

(Sorry to DP)
Okay, feedback:

Attrition is cool. Scurvy isn't. Scurvy is unplayable.

Suggestions:

• Limit scurvy to ocean tiles\remove dissapearing chance in coastal tiles, and reduce damage from scurvy to 10 HP.
• Increase disease chance for civilian units, reduce for non-civilian.

1) It actually is only supposed to apply only to Ocean. Notwithstanding the fact that it obviously isn't working as intended, do people not pay attention to specifics?

Scurvy: Naval Units have a 50% chance to take 15 damage in Coast or Ocean. 5% chance that Naval Units will instantly disband in Ocean.

2) Reasoning behind this idea? I'm curious.

I don't care too much about colonies. I want trade.
(Do i have to use the community patch? Why? It makes AIs annoying...)
Please make updates not break saved games. Please?

Don't ask of me what only Firaxis can - and won't - give.

1) It actually is only supposed to apply only to Ocean. Notwithstanding the fact that it obviously isn't working as intended, do people not pay attention to specifics?

But limiting Scurvy to ocean, apart from the disappearing chance, would still be for the best. :p There's been a lot of suggestions and a bit of feedback lately. I wonder which route you would take in an update to naval movement and attrition? The uncertainty of this section is the only thing keeping me from updating to this version of ExCE.

But I guess that's because I'm biased by my interest in all things naval, and the desire to have the most enjoyable (and historically correct, where applicable) experience with naval exploration in Civ. :) I mean no disrespect in any case. :)

After the update, things seemed to start working fine, (and thanks for the tip on the terrain file), though I'm still experiencing a fair amount of glitches and eventually crashed. I can't really tell how much of it was ExCE and what wasn't though. Should I send a log? (Database, right?) The last time I tried, it was too big to copy-paste or upload.

My game also thinks cedar and oak are luxuries, and they appear as such on a civ's trade screen. So I'm going to guess ginger counts as one, too. And taking a glance at the civilopedia shows that all added bonuses are counted as luxuries.

Unfortunately, I've no idea. Are they all the mods you're using? Others have used P&P, CulDiv, and ExCE together fine. Your database log might shed some better light.

Here:
Spoiler :
[6653.500] columns StrategicViewType, TileType are not unique
[6653.500] While executing - 'INSERT INTO ArtDefine_StrategicView(StrategicViewType, TileType, Asset) VALUES(?,?,?)'
[6668.890] no such table: ContentPackage.LocalizedText
[6670.640] no such table: ContentPackage.LocalizedText
[6681.000] columns StrategicViewType, TileType are not unique
[6681.000] While executing - 'INSERT INTO ArtDefine_StrategicView(StrategicViewType, TileType, Asset) VALUES(?,?,?)'
[6683.125] no such table: ContentPackage.LocalizedText
[6696.921] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[6696.921] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[6696.921] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[6701.343] Failed Validation.
[6702.187]
-- SQLite Memory Statistics --
Memory Usage:
[Cur] [Max]
Malloc: 6299672 75862040
PageCache: 6 12
LookAside: 0 0
Scratch: 0 1

Static Buffer Overflows:
[TooLarge] [NoSpace]
PageCache: 5884704 62957160
Scratch: 0 0

Largest Allocations:
Malloc: 262144
PageCache: 1172
Scratch: 6640

Prepared Statements:
Current: 6
------------------------------
[6702.250] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[6702.265] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[6702.265] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[6706.656] Failed Validation.
[6707.515]
Memory Usage:
[Cur] [Max]
Malloc: 6300848 75862040
PageCache: 6 12

Static Buffer Overflows:
[TooLarge] [NoSpace]
PageCache: 5885880 62957160

Largest Allocations:

Prepared Statements:
Current: 6
[6855.218] columns StrategicViewType, TileType are not unique
[6855.218] columns StrategicViewType, TileType are not unique
[6860.343] columns Language, Tag are not unique
[6860.343] While executing - 'insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') values (?, ?);'
[6860.343] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') with values (TXT_KEY_RESOURCE_JFD_SAFFRON, Saffron, ).
[6860.343] In XMLSerializer while updating table Language_en_US from file Core/Terrain/GameText.xml.
[6860.343] columns Language, Tag are not unique
[6860.359] column Type is not unique
[6860.359] column Type is not unique
[6862.171] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[6862.171] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[6862.171] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[6863.875] Invalid Reference on Policies.Description - "TXT_KEY_DECISIONS_ESTATES_GENERAL" does not exist in Language_en_US
[6867.875] Invalid Reference on JFD_Institutions.AlphaAtlas - "JFD_PIETY_INSTITUTIONS_PATRIARCHY_ALPHA_ATLAS" does not exist in IconTextureAtlases
[6867.875] Invalid Reference on JFD_Institutions.AlphaAtlas - "JFD_PIETY_INSTITUTIONS_PAPACY_ALPHA_ATLAS" does not exist in IconTextureAtlases
[6867.875] Invalid Reference on JFD_Institutions.AlphaAtlas - "JFD_PIETY_INSTITUTIONS_MANDATE_OF_HEAVEN_ALPHA_ATLAS" does not exist in IconTextureAtlases
[6867.875] Invalid Reference on JFD_Institutions.AlphaAtlas - "JFD_PIETY_INSTITUTIONS_IMPERIAL_CULT_ALPHA_ATLAS" does not exist in IconTextureAtlases
[6867.875] Invalid Reference on JFD_Institutions.AlphaAtlas - "JFD_PIETY_INSTITUTIONS_CALIPHATE_ALPHA_ATLAS" does not exist in IconTextureAtlases
[6867.875] Invalid Reference on JFD_Institutions.IconAtlas - "JFD_PIETY_INSTITUTIONS_ATLAS" does not exist in IconTextureAtlases
[6867.875] Invalid Reference on JFD_Institutions.IconAtlas - "JFD_PIETY_INSTITUTIONS_ATLAS" does not exist in IconTextureAtlases
[6867.875] Failed Validation.
[6869.453]
Memory Usage:
[Cur] [Max]
Malloc: 8726960 75862040
PageCache: 7 19

Static Buffer Overflows:
[TooLarge] [NoSpace]
PageCache: 8160264 62957160

Largest Allocations:

Prepared Statements:
Current: 8
[6869.562] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[6869.562] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[6869.562] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[6869.578] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[6869.578] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[6871.296] Invalid Reference on Policies.Description - "TXT_KEY_DECISIONS_ESTATES_GENERAL" does not exist in Language_en_US
[6875.375] Invalid Reference on JFD_Institutions.AlphaAtlas - "JFD_PIETY_INSTITUTIONS_PATRIARCHY_ALPHA_ATLAS" does not exist in IconTextureAtlases
[6875.375] Invalid Reference on JFD_Institutions.AlphaAtlas - "JFD_PIETY_INSTITUTIONS_PAPACY_ALPHA_ATLAS" does not exist in IconTextureAtlases
[6875.375] Invalid Reference on JFD_Institutions.AlphaAtlas - "JFD_PIETY_INSTITUTIONS_MANDATE_OF_HEAVEN_ALPHA_ATLAS" does not exist in IconTextureAtlases
[6875.375] Invalid Reference on JFD_Institutions.AlphaAtlas - "JFD_PIETY_INSTITUTIONS_IMPERIAL_CULT_ALPHA_ATLAS" does not exist in IconTextureAtlases
[6875.375] Invalid Reference on JFD_Institutions.AlphaAtlas - "JFD_PIETY_INSTITUTIONS_CALIPHATE_ALPHA_ATLAS" does not exist in IconTextureAtlases
[6875.375] Invalid Reference on JFD_Institutions.IconAtlas - "JFD_PIETY_INSTITUTIONS_ATLAS" does not exist in IconTextureAtlases
[6875.375] Invalid Reference on JFD_Institutions.IconAtlas - "JFD_PIETY_INSTITUTIONS_ATLAS" does not exist in IconTextureAtlases
[6875.375] Failed Validation.
[6876.984]
Memory Usage:
[Cur] [Max]
Malloc: 8728136 75862040
PageCache: 7 19

Static Buffer Overflows:
[TooLarge] [NoSpace]
PageCache: 8161440 62957160

Largest Allocations:

Prepared Statements:
Current: 8
[8840.656] no such column: Type
[8840.656] In Query - select * from Natural_Wonder_Placement where Type = ? LIMIT 1

I've also enabled civ4 diplomacy and the other one for city states from the community patch page (thank you for making me discover them btw XD).
Maybe there is a problem between these and Piety and Prestige now that I think of it...I just supposed they had to be compatible just for being part of the community patch blob XP

Now I'll try without them! (but they work with ExCE alone)

EDIT: No ok, scrap that. I had already tried to disable everything else, the logs are from a game with only your two mods active.

Aaaand that's 1 for 1 for every tongiaki I've sent out getting lost at sea. Only one actually managed to get somewhere more than a few tiles away from their home city. I doubt I'm that unlucky (I've had better experiences with scurvy, which is allegedly ten times as likely to happen), and even if I am, this annoyance is too much to continue the game at this rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom