Gold late game : pointless?

In my immortal games, I just never ever had 500gpt. Getting enough gold and happiness is a constant struggle until I launch, I barely make it over 1000 gold in treasury until I need to buy something. At the same time, most AIs are swimming into cash :) and Austria is oinking CSs after CSs making my life miserable because I can't get luxuries to keep my happiness afloat. Now, that's a challenge.

Austria will be brought back to earth in the upcoming patch. That civ is annoying to have on the map. Better to wipe them out early if possible.

My point is that by a certain stage of the game you have more than enough money to do whatever you want

This is simply not true. Your argument is fundamentally flawed in that you base yourself on a difficulty that is obviously much too easy for you. Crank it up and check your bank again. I - and I am by no means a reference - do not manage to get 500gpt on Immortal. At least not easily and definitely not on a regular basis.

Wha ...

It definitely has uses. Discover a new tech that enables unit upgrades, a new kind of unit, or a new kind of building and put them immediately in all your controlled cities.

Or buy-off CSs or other Civs if you're going for a diplomatic victory. Heck, buying off Civs is often a key to an effective conquest game. You typically don't want to be fighting more than one civ and paltry 1k gold gifts go a long way towards temporarily repairing relationships with the "You are a warmongering menace!" haters.

Maybe the real question is, if you're amassing so much gold/city buildings/units, are you sure you're on the correct difficulty? Try bumping it up by a level or two?

Never tried buying off the "warmongering" thing but I especially enjoy hiring them as mercenaries to attack my enemies and cause strife while I focus on my own plans.
I especially enjoy seeing the invasion force coming at me, recruiting the guy behind or next to him to DOW, then watch him DOW on me and get dogpiled while I look like the good guy!

I have a long memory of stuff, though not always.:(

Me neither. Making maps is no joke. That tests your memory. Right now I am copying a map for my WWI mod. I'm just adding things as I see fit. Especially in Russia. This guy's WWI mod has Russia without much coal. Which is fine, because Russia was unable to harness its true industrial might, during that time. So, what I have done is add more strategic resources near the Urals. Rapid expansion, along with building railroads will be key to winning as Russia. I also change Volgograd to Tsaritsyn and added two iron on a hill to the west of the city. Fun stuff!

Me neither. Making maps is no joke. That tests your memory. Right now I am copying a map for my WWI mod. I'm just adding things as I see fit. Especially in Russia. This guy's WWI mod has Russia without much coal. Which is fine, because Russia was unable to harness its true industrial might, during that time. So, what I have done is add more strategic resources near the Urals. Rapid expansion, along with building railroads will be key to winning as Russia. I also change Volgograd to Tsaritsyn and added two iron on a hill to the west of the city. Fun stuff!

Sounds like your having fun, nokmirt.

I have to admit that I would want to see a WW1 mod/scenario like that, where having your Supply will actually be a lot more complicated and essential than it currently is, because currently the only penalty you get for going over your Supply limit is slower production. Tying it to railroad/road networks and "abstracted" sea routes would work well, so your units will have their performance in battles affected by blockades and pillages, and actually surrounding entire cities or units will matter more.

Top Bottom