Is civ5 worth buying it?

It's good that they made the music in civ5 depend on culture, but it's a pity that the music does not vary with era anymore like it did in civ4. I really miss the beautiful medieval music from civ4.

The visual side also looked much better in civ4. These matchbox-cities in civ5 feel kind of awkward and unnatural.

I also don't understand what makes this game so slow.

Absolutely yes, especially the multiplayer aspects of the game are far better than previous civ games

Nope.

Imo G&K is more like Warlords for Civ4. It's a step in the right direction, but something is still missing. I know that G&K add espionage and omg religion, but I've bought it, played it for a week and now it's been several months since the last time I've played it.

For me, somehow, Civ5 still feels artificial. AI is still raving mad, without personality and unfun to play with/against.

Can't help it, I'm an avid Civ4 fan and I still recommend it. I get the urge to play Civ4 (with the amazing and free BUG/BAT mod) every now and then, with Civ5 I don't. I know it will be either a boring slog with killing everything on sight while stifling a yawn on the difficulty up to Emperor or a boring skeetshooting contest with braindead AI on Immortal +.

P.S. It took a while, but vast majority of old civfanatics who were waiting with bated breath for the next iteration of their beloved series and got thoroughly disappointed have finally left this forum, so now opinions about Civ5 are mostly positive. So don't expect a hearty advice to pick Civ4 over Civ5 when posting in a Civ5 General Discussion forum ^^

My response was:

The way I see it, once you get past the obsolete graphics, the stacks of death, the generic religion system, the vassal system, the pollution and the unhappiness hampering your progress, and the worse-- the slider system, you tend to miss Civ IV a little. I could barely get past Noble on Civ IV, and now I'm sitting around Emperor and Immortal on Civ V. I can't say Civ IV is better than V, in fact, even if Civ V is post G&K, Civ IV yields itself a better game overall, but the frustrating and irritating core mechanics of Civ IV makes me go back to V over IV.

So you know where I stand at the matter.

I think the removal of the slider system made Civ V better. And yes, Civ V G&K as is Civ IV is to BTS. There were mass improvements in G&K and the espionage and religion system is far superior than Civ IV's. The mere fact that they removed the boring micromanagement problems that kept casual (and hardcore) gamers away from Civ IV is why I recommend V over any iration of IV any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian_PL
Nope.

Imo G&K is more like Warlords for Civ4. It's a step in the right direction, but something is still missing. I know that G&K add espionage and omg religion, but I've bought it, played it for a week and now it's been several months since the last time I've played it.

For me, somehow, Civ5 still feels artificial. AI is still raving mad, without personality and unfun to play with/against.

Can't help it, I'm an avid Civ4 fan and I still recommend it. I get the urge to play Civ4 (with the amazing and free BUG/BAT mod) every now and then, with Civ5 I don't. I know it will be either a boring slog with killing everything on sight while stifling a yawn on the difficulty up to Emperor or a boring skeetshooting contest with braindead AI on Immortal +.

P.S. It took a while, but vast majority of old civfanatics who were waiting with bated breath for the next iteration of their beloved series and got thoroughly disappointed have finally left this forum, so now opinions about Civ5 are mostly positive. So don't expect a hearty advice to pick Civ4 over Civ5 when posting in a Civ5 General Discussion forum ^^

I dont know true it is about most people leaving the forum, I've seen a lot of familiar names in the posts, and though I've only been a member since CIV, I've been playing and reading the forum since Civ 2.

Civ 5 is still lacking a few things, like diplomacy that feels like you're making connections, not just deals that will last 30 turns. Vassals, Alliances ,etc were better in Civ 4. However, the #1 thing i think civ 5 got right was 1 unit per tile, I know a lot of people have complained about it, but it is WAY better than stacks of doom, and Civ 4's Rock-Paper-Scissors mechanic was largely wasted inside stacks. Having to place your units strategically, take terrain into account, use flanking maneuvers, and all that make the combat in civ 5 so much better compared to 4.

Religion feels better in G&K than it did in BTS for me. The faith system is versatile in it's uses and makes religion feel well rounded.

Admittedly the AI is brain-damaged, but in certain respects I like it more than the Civ 4 AI, (comparing both without mods). In both games the AI could not uses boats worth a damn, or do amphibious invasions. The Ai could pile all it's units into a stack just fine, but i prefer the AI half-assing tactical unit deployment than just piling everything in a stupid SoD.

Policies feel better than civics, you can build up your empire's government through progressive choices, not just swapping to whatever the current need is.

thats all i can think of right now, but to conclude. BUY CIV 5 and get G&K.

My response was:

So you know where I stand at the matter.

I think the removal of the slider system made Civ V better. And yes, Civ V G&K as is Civ IV is to BTS. There were mass improvements in G&K and the espionage and religion system is far superior than Civ IV's. The mere fact that they removed the boring micromanagement problems that kept casual (and hardcore) gamers away from Civ IV is why I recommend V over any iration of IV any day.

As a player that prefers IV to V, (but can appreciate some of the risks V took), I'll have to disagree with a few of these points. Well, one mainly... Micromanagement was never boring to hardcore Civ gamers, unless you're talking about hardcore gamers in general that don't play strategy games in the first place.

IMO, espionage is weak in both IV and V, and religion in V is weaker than in IV, where it's impact on diplomacy is far more evident, while in V, it's basically just another resource (faith), akin to culture and the whole policy system, (which as a whole, was modeled after WoW skill trees). True story.

The slider system also added a layer of complexity completely lacking in V, where gold is the be-all-end-all, (and while I'm griping, might as well list what I don't like about V - mods feels free to move this to the rants thread). :)

1. Global happiness is terrible compared to local happiness. Global happiness dictates that I'm always going to be building the exact same happiness buildings in every game, I'm going to be adopting the exact same policies in every game, and I'm going to adopt the exact same religious perks in every game. On the other hand, local happiness encouraged city diversity and city placement.

2. Which leads me to terrain. It's awful. There's no customization at all, as improvements themselves offer little to no added benefits (why was the cottage system removed?) The current terrain/improvement mechanics scream for worker automation, as there's little to no point in micromanaging them for little to no added benefit.

3. The tech-tree is more or less a bottlenecked straight line. There's little to no differentiation from game to game, what with the lack of dead-end techs and either/or techs. Believe it or not, the tech tree used to be even more restrictive in early builds of the game. What we're playing is the expanded version. Imagine the current tree with a y-axis of 5 instead of 8-10... Again, true story.

4. Diplomacy. Is bad. CIV V went for "realism" where the AI tries to "win." Unless you've got the best AI coders in the galaxy, this will never be achievable, and what we're left with is an AI that is incredibly predictable. They will attack you, they'll attack early, and often. Roleplaying on the part of the AI based on their historical personality is non-existent. Just a matter of taste here on my part, but I'd rather Gandhi played the role of peaceful ally - and the quote from Firaxis that takes about how if Gandhi doesn't nuke you at some point - then they haven't done their job - is ridiculous IMO. If that's what you're going for, what bother even animating your leaders? Why give them dialogue in their own language? What's the point, if they're all going to play the exact same way in every, single, game. Stick figures would suffice if that's the goal - would definitely help cut down on load times too. :crazyeye:

5. Cultural Victories - (and pretty much all victory types) box you into specific play-styles from the very start of a game. This goes against the sandbox play-style in previous Civ games that let you adjust your strategy throughout the game as for what victory type you were going for. Cultural victories particularly encourage non- expansion, and limit you to a select few policy trees, leading to no differentiation or customization from game to game. Not fun and extremely limiting for players that enjoy playing passive-aggressively.

6. Tactical AI. Nothing needs to be said here. It's not as bad as it was on release, but it's still bad. It may be more complex and deeper than IV's tactical AI, but IV's was able to use its own system much more effectively to the point where the highest levels were almost impossible for most players. The highest levels in V, IMO, are on par with the middle levels on IV once you figure out the tactical AI is terrible and can be easily exploited.

7. Lack of Stats. I want to know how many AI Swordsmen I've killed. I don't want to go through multiple menu's to see the simplest bit of information. We're using keyboards here, not controllers. We have more than 4 buttons. There's no reason to hide info to the extent that it's been hidden in V - as this is the style of game that caters to the type of player that wants to see stats. InfoAddict shouldn't have to come from the community, it should've been there at launch, it should've been included in the first patch, and its designer should've been hired yesterday.

8. 1UPT. Not saying stacks are the answer, but 1UPT isn't either when current maps are so small, (even on huge settings). It was never fun to have a stack of 100+ units attack you when you weren't prepared in IV, but it's also not fun to watch 30+ units take 20 minutes to finish their attacks in the late-game of CIV V.

9. Clutter. There's too much junk on the screen by the time you've finished settling and improving your land. There's too many icons popping out at you, (icons that are necessary to determine what's what, as everything just tends to blend together otherwise). For a game that was heralded for its streamlined mechanics, graphically, it ain't streamlined at all.

10. Load times. Worst ever load times in a Civ game - in fact, I can't think of a TBS that has longer load times. Again, for a game that's been "streamlined," turn-time optimization would've been at the top of my list of things to do. What we've currently got is worse than Birth of the Federation, (for any gamers that might remember this Microprose classic). I'd take weaker graphics any day of the week if it meant having end-game turn times that took 1-2 seconds.

I wouldn't say I'm a hater of the base game - as I do admire many of the risks it takes, but I'd also consider it the worst of the 5 Civ games by far, and my biggest gaming disappoint to date - both for its weak overall mechanics, lack of replayability, low difficulty, poor optimization, and most importantly, for its ability to divide the fanbase to the point where CivFanatics is pretty much the only Civ website still getting any sort of traffic. And I realize it's still one of the most played games on Steam, but it's also only available through Steam, (which I don't mind - Steam, until recently, has pretty much revitalized PC gaming - but that too is an issue that riles up a lot of players and contributes to the divide). Bottom line - If you liked vanilla CIV V, you'll like the expansion. If you didn't, you probably won't like the expansion - although I realize there'll be exceptions to this.

I don't like that they replaced city-based happyness system with global happyness system and I hate that they destroyed the concept of health whatsoever.

As a player that prefers IV to V, (but can appreciate some of the risks V took), I'll have to disagree with a few of these points. Well, one mainly... Micromanagement was never boring to hardcore Civ gamers, unless you're talking about hardcore gamers in general that don't play strategy games in the first place.

IMO, espionage is weak in both IV and V, and religion in V is weaker than in IV, where it's impact on diplomacy is far more evident, while in V, it's basically just another resource (faith), akin to culture and the whole policy system, (which as a whole, was modeled after WoW skill trees). True story.

You realise of course that WoW skill trees were ultimately (as Diablo skill trees) modelled after the style of branching tech tree first introduced in a game called Civilization?

The slider system also added a layer of complexity completely lacking in V, where gold is the be-all-end-all, (and while I'm griping, might as well list what I don't like about V - mods feels free to move this to the rants thread). :)

Well, not really since science was the be-all and end-all... Gold wasn't much use for anything past city maintenance, so as long as you either had a stockpile to sustain negative income or your income was at least 0, you mainly just wanted to maximise science. Adding espionage to the slider was a nice touch, but I rarely found a need for it since Great Spies gave you such a huge boost.

[*]Global happiness is terrible compared to local happiness. Global happiness dictates that I'm always going to be building the exact same happiness buildings in every game, I'm going to be adopting the exact same policies in every game, and I'm going to adopt the exact same religious perks in every game. On the other hand, local happiness encouraged city diversity and city placement.

This neglects the main point of global happiness - it's to present a choice in number of cities you settle, not city placement (the effect of which on happiness was trivial in previous games, since all luxuries throughout the empire could be connected to any city within it). All you're saying above is "if I play in exactly the same way every time, settling the same number of cities, I play in exactly the same way". And even this is an oversimplification - there are lots of alternative routes to happiness; I'll build more happiness buildings to compensate if I want non-happiness related religious beliefs for instance. Where I build the happiness buildings will vary; I no longer need to duplicate every happiness building in every city as it grows to population level X in a rigid Civ IV build order. Alliances with CSes, luxes available from other civs, whether any CSes are mercantile, whether I have access to foreign religious buildings (cathedrals etc.) will all determine how I manage happiness. There's a lot of variety in starting locations that can also define how I'll play the happiness game - sometimes luxuries will be clustered and I'll have access to only one or two types, sometimes they won't.

[*]Which leads me to terrain. It's awful. There's no customization at all, as improvements themselves offer little to no added benefits (why was the cottage system removed?) The current terrain/improvement mechanics scream for worker automation, as there's little to no point in micromanaging them for little to no added benefit.

The cottage system was replaced by tech-based developments to improvements, and in some cases policy-based ones. You try playing to the late game without developing your tiles, and you'll find out just how much difference not having 4-5 extra food/production/gold makes, or not gaining science from trading posts.

[*]The tech-tree is more or less a bottlenecked straight line. There's little to no differentiation from game to game, what with the lack of dead-end techs and either/or techs. Believe it or not, the tech tree used to be even more restrictive in early builds of the game. What we're playing is the expanded version. Imagine the current tree with a y-axis of 5 instead of 8-10... Again, true story.

If anything vanilla's tech tree, despite having 5 fewer techs or so, was actually less restrictive in the way it could be pursued.

[*]Diplomacy. Is bad. CIV V went for "realism" where the AI tries to "win." Unless you've got the best AI coders in the galaxy, this will never be achievable, and what we're left with is an AI that is incredibly predictable. They will attack you, they'll attack early, and often. Roleplaying on the part of the AI based on their historical personality is non-existent. Just a matter of taste here on my part, but I'd rather Gandhi played the role of peaceful ally - and the quote from Firaxis that takes about how if Gandhi doesn't nuke you at some point - then they haven't done their job - is ridiculous IMO.

You're talking about one specific in-joke that dates back to the dawn of Civ games - Gandhi has always tried to nuke people. Civs differ much more markedly in personality in Civ V than I recall from Civ IV, where aside from one or two poster children, all appeared to be very anonymous (sure, Monty and Shaka are aggressive, Isabella puts a premium on religion. What was, say, Joao II's defining characteristic?) And that characterisation alone testifies to the one-dimensionality of Civ IV personalities - they varied on one axis, not much more. By contrast someone created a thread a while back describing in detail (and broadly accurately) differences between Civ V AI civs that make them feel like distinct people. No, for the most part they're probably not terribly representative of their historical personas, but they certainly have the feel of distinct personalities.

If that's what you're going for, what bother even animating your leaders? Why give them dialogue in their own language? What's the point, if they're all going to play the exact same way in every, single, game. Stick figures would suffice if that's the goal - would definitely help cut down on load times too. :crazyeye:

Individual civs often act the same way in every game, which is rather the point of giving them personalities - I can be a more reliable ally with Nebuchadnezzar than with Alexander, say.

[*]Cultural Victories - (and pretty much all victory types) box you into specific play-styles from the very start of a game. This goes against the sandbox play-style in previous Civ games that let you adjust your strategy throughout the game as for what victory type you were going for. Cultural victories particularly encourage non- expansion, and limit you to a select few policy trees, leading to no differentiation or customization from game to game. Not fun and extremely limiting for players that enjoy playing passive-aggressively.

I thought this early on, and cultural victories still are more constrained than other types, but there's more variety than it first appears. You can win cultural victory with a wide empire since unless you play very wide the cultural benefits of the various culture improvements will tend to outweigh the expansion penalty. But yes, tech progression for each victory type tends to be somewhat restrictive - although as three victories require the upper branch of the tech tree, you can conceivably wait until the Industrial Era to finally decide whether to go culture (but only if you've been playing culturally to that point), diplo or science. Domination tends to demand playing aggressively and teching to aggressive techs from the early game, where in previous Civ games you could pursue it in several different ways and at late game stages.

[*]Tactical AI. Nothing needs to be said here. It's not as bad as it was on release, but it's still bad. It may be more complex and deeper than IV's tactical AI, but IV's was able to use its own system much more effectively to the point where the highest levels were almost impossible for most players. The highest levels in V, IMO, are on par with the middle levels on IV once you figure out the tactical AI is terrible and can be easily exploited.

This is an issue, but the solution I've found is just to not play aggressive games (which aren't my tendency in any case). The AI puts up better competition for peaceful victories than it did in past Civ games; Civ IV and earlier instalments really only had the option of overrunning you to win.

[*]Lack of Stats. I want to know how many AI Swordsmen I've killed. I don't want to go through multiple menu's to see the simplest bit of information. We're using keyboards here, not controllers. We have more than 4 buttons. There's no reason to hide info to the extent that it's been hidden in V - as this is the style of game that caters to the type of player that wants to see stats. InfoAddict shouldn't have to come from the community, it should've been there at launch, it should've been included in the first patch, and its designer should've been hired yesterday.

Yes, Civ V's interface is pretty appalling.

[*]Clutter. There's too much junk on the screen by the time you've finished settling and improving your land. There's too many icons popping out at you, (icons that are necessary to determine what's what, as everything just tends to blend together otherwise). For a game that was heralded for its streamlined mechanics, graphically, it ain't streamlined at all.

I'd very much like an option to select which notifications I want to see and which I don't. You wouldn't then need a patch to eliminate 'espionage notification spam' - you could just tick a box if you wanted to disable notifications from/about unmet players etc.

[*]Load times. Worst ever load times in a Civ game - in fact, I can't think of a TBS that has longer load times.

Easy one - Total War: Shogun 2 (come to that, with its larger number of major factions, across three theatres of war, Empire could take excruciatingly long times). This is, however, with animations of other factions' movement etc. enabled. Unlike TW games, Civ V doesn't have an option to play with other factions' movement animations disabled.

@markusbeutel

For starters, I think the slider system was horrible-- unit maintenance and paying for science hampered your economy; you'll have to build cities to catch up with the ever-expanding AI, which cost you some coin. You will have no money for upgrades and building units took too long vs an instant upgrade. The AI can upgrade their units instantly, why can't the player?

And I do agree the micromanagement was kinda dull. There were too many whack-a-mole city-by-city elements you have to tend to in order for the game to run properly, it's no much as irritating as Civ III's corruption and pollution. (Civ Col is the worse offenders of the boring whack-a-mole gameplay)

I. Global happiness is probably one of the things I do agree with. I miss the days that individual cities could revolt on you because you mishandled your civil diplomacy (well in revolution mods, anyway). If you are adopting the same strategies (policy, religion, etc.), that is more of a mental block than a game limitation, and you should widen your strategy a little.

II. I admit, the fact that they replaced the trade network system was horrible, but the overall game is easier to manage, and you require a lot less cash/science in order to play well. I do like the colors, though, it makes the game look a lot more like a satalite feed than relying on bright colors (thanks to Civ's Blue Marble mod to fix that ugliness. I don't automate my units, (anymore), but at least the automation in Civ V is... you know... smarter.

III. The tech tree was not a straight line, there are many "or" techs in the tree, and at least this tree had the eras right (seriously, Civ IV? Flight in the Modern era? That's more of an industrial tech when factories were starting to pop up worldwide). I found myself fixing Civ IV's main tech tree by scaling the eras of each tech back as far back as the mideval era.

IV. I admit. When Civ V came out, diplomacy was dreadful. The AI were schizophrenic backstabbing lunatics. And I cannot argue that Civ V's diplomacy is remotely closer than Civ IV's. In fact, I miss the rather complex diplomatic options that were given to you in IV... but at least V is getting better. Uh... let's move on to your next point...

V. As a pure builder, I like the fact that you DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO WAR AT ALL to play a cultural victory. My goal isn't to defeat AIs when playing cultural, but to accumulate as much culture and get those policies as quick as possible. I do like how you can win culturally, but miss the civ system that makes your civilization unique from other civs.

VI. Really? I found warring in Civ V fun (where in Civ VI, I just build a stack and pray that I have enough to oust the opposing stack), and the chess style tactics is refreshing to the player. I do wish there is a way you can move more than one unit at a time, so you don't have move each induviually. I haven't found an exploit in Civ V, because I'm not the type of player that calculates every aspect of the game. I play the game to win, sure, but I also want to enjoy the game as well.

VII. For someone who complains how cluttered the interface is (see #9), you sure are avid about seeing clutter in unit interfaces. Do I really need 20,000,000 options for a single swordsman unit to do? There should be a few interaction to your military unit: move, attack, embark, fortify, die.

VIII. I already covered stacks in VI, but I rather have 1pt over stacks any day. And the huge maps are big enough for a stack of 12-15 units to move across a small part of a huge map. You really only need a few cities to play beneficially anyway, and unless you playing domination or conquest, killing your economy for a handful of cities is asinine. I think they found the solution to ICS, but I still think reducing the science 30% per every city after 6 cities (on standard size map) is the best anti-ICS idea I've ever came up with.

IX. The notification buttons should be smaller, and the interface should be a lot smaller as well. The action button should be smaller and split the room with the notifications. That's my solution. As far as the rest of the interface goes, I like the fact that I don't have to learn what each button in the UI, it's simple and to the point.

X. Ugh. Not only do the load times need to be improved, the turn time needs to be improved as well. I like to play in normal view, so I feel you on that, but there is one (unwanted, but in some times, necessary) solution to this: strategy view.

In conclusion, I think you need to adapt to the times, man (some problems most Civ IV player have trouble with, learning something new), and I think Civ V has potential to obsolete (A Civ IV reference, hehe) Civ IV. Steam probably didn't help Civ V's cause, either, forcing it on you is appalling. But still, it's Civ IV's core mechanics that prevented me to beat Noble, and Civ V's core mechanics that allows me to finally advance. Sure V is easier than IV, but NOT BY MUCH. I still have trouble beating a Prince game, but at least I've learned enough to finally say I can beat it, because if the restrictions that IV has given to me disallowed me to do so. No, I did NOT like vanilla Civ V, but then Civ IV's initial release wasn't perfect, either. Remember the long list of bugs that IV had in '05? There are mass improvements to be made, but so far, V has a slight advantage because of how it's played is more appealing to me. Civ V has evolved from a disappointment, to a rather enjoying game.

III. The tech tree was not a straight line, there are many "or" techs in the tree, and at least this tree had the eras right (seriously, Civ IV? Flight in the Modern era? That's more of an industrial tech when factories were starting to pop up worldwide).

Slightly post-industrial. But from recollection in Civ IV the "Modern era" wasn't two eras before the modern day... "Modern" before "Atomic" is just inherently wrong.

VII. For someone who complains how cluttered the interface is (see #9), you sure are avid about seeing clutter in unit interfaces. Do I really need 20,000,000 options for a single swordsman unit to do? There should be a few interaction to your military unit: move, attack, embark, fortify, die.

Something else missing from the forthcoming patch: the Fortify button is still ridiculously-badly placed in the pop-up submenu (and looks too much like the sentry icon), rather than in the default options.

In conclusion, I think you need to adapt to the times, man (some problems most Civ IV player have trouble with, learning something new), and I think Civ V has potential to obsolete (A Civ IV reference, hehe) Civ IV. Steam probably didn't help Civ V's cause, either, forcing it on you is appalling. But still, it's Civ IV's core mechanics that prevented me to beat Noble, and Civ V's core mechanics that allows me to finally advance. Sure V is easier than IV, but NOT BY MUCH.

I have to say my experience is of playing on Noble/Prince on Civ IV and playing on Immortal in Civ V, so the difference is definitely there. I will qualify this however - I play Civ V differently from Civ IV and older Civ games, where I was mostly sandboxing. I almost never lost a Civ IV game on the difficulties on which I played, since the point of a Civ game isn't to win the game (which you can do with a five-minute card game), it's to enjoy the experience along the way - it's senseless to invest as many hours as a Civ game will take just to win.

In conclusion, I think you need to adapt to the times, man (some problems most Civ IV player have trouble with, learning something new), and I think Civ V has potential to obsolete (A Civ IV reference, hehe) Civ IV. Steam probably didn't help Civ V's cause, either, forcing it on you is appalling. But still, it's Civ IV's core mechanics that prevented me to beat Noble, and Civ V's core mechanics that allows me to finally advance. Sure V is easier than IV, but NOT BY MUCH. I still have trouble beating a Prince game, but at least I've learned enough to finally say I can beat it, because if the restrictions that IV has given to me disallowed me to do so. No, I did NOT like vanilla Civ V, but then Civ IV's initial release wasn't perfect, either. Remember the long list of bugs that IV had in '05? There are mass improvements to be made, but so far, V has a slight advantage because of how it's played is more appealing to me. Civ V has evolved from a disappointment, to a rather enjoying game.

I think the bolded part is rude. Civ IV players tend not to have a difficulty learning something new. some of us rather complain that there is just nothing to learn in Civ V. Civ V is easier than Civ IV by A LOT. I play Monarch on Civ IV, not more, and it took me a while to get there. I beat Civ V on the highest difficulty level after a month. Civ V is dumbed down in terms of difficulty. You say it was restrictions in Civ IV that disallowed you to beat it and then pretend Civ IV players need to learn stuff? You weren't able to learn how to play the game in the first place apparently, so you might want to avoid insulting people by saying they have trouble learning stuff.
Ultimately it's a matter of taste, but Civ V is WAY easier than IV. People who like a challenge should simply skip it. People who like to cruise through their game and builders may find it more interesting. Then again, there are other points to the game. For instance, if you like to use the in-world builder like my daughter does, you should simply skip Civ V.

totally worth it, especially with the big fall patch around the corner! this is gonna be a big improvement on an already brilliant game. lots of AI improvements and beefing up of diplomacy, i really like it.

I think the bolded part is rude. Civ IV players tend not to have a difficulty learning something new. some of us rather complain that there is just nothing to learn in Civ V. Civ V is easier than Civ IV by A LOT. I play Monarch on Civ IV, not more, and it took me a while to get there. I beat Civ V on the highest difficulty level after a month. Civ V is dumbed down in terms of difficulty. You say it was restrictions in Civ IV that disallowed you to beat it and then pretend Civ IV players need to learn stuff? You weren't able to learn how to play the game in the first place apparently, so you might want to avoid insulting people by saying they have trouble learning stuff.
Ultimately it's a matter of taste, but Civ V is WAY easier than IV. People who like a challenge should simply skip it. People who like to cruise through their game and builders may find it more interesting. Then again, there are other points to the game. For instance, if you like to use the in-world builder like my daughter does, you should simply skip Civ V.

It's relevant to ask how you beat it - most testimony to that effect appears to come from people who beat it at combat, rather than by beating the AI to peaceful victory conditions. This presents a skewed view of the changes in difficulty, since Civ V AI is much worse at resisting domination or succeeding in early rushes than Civ IV's or previous games'; the difference is far less marked when competing for more peaceful victories (although 'peaceful' victories that use a lot of puppet cities and knock out early neighbours are easier, again because of AI combat limitations).

It's probably still there - as above I can't comment too authoritatively on the disparity since I never played Civ IV at high difficulty levels, and the levels on which I play Civ V (Immortal and Deity) are certainly harder than those I played in Civ IV. But my experience of all previous Civ games is that, if you survive, you win. You're not going to be outcompeted for the spaceship or a cultural victory, and not often in diplomacy. By contrast I can reliably survive a game on both Immortal and Deity but have yet to win a Deity game and rarely win Immortal on larger maps.

Of course there probably isn't a game made where people don't complain bitterly how the sequel has 'dumbed down' their favourite instalment - just among recent games I'm aware of I've seen the phenomenon in Dawn of War II, Starcraft II, Diablo III, and, reliably as clockwork, every new instalment of the Total War series or every World of Warcraft expansion (the latter at least having a point, and it's a sad state of affairs when a game as inherently dumb as WoW - or indeed Diablo - has to be "dumbed down"). I confidently predict the same for Company of Heroes 2 early next year, and we've already been promised a reduction in micromanagement - already drastically reduced relative to previous games in Shogun 2 - in Total War: Rome 2.

Partly there's undoubtedly a genuine drive towards 'accessibility' (which does not necessarily equate to dumbing down) among game developers generally, which would result in similar complaints being levelled against many games - but the phenomenon of complaining about sequels is not new (take X-COM: Apocalypse) and, while describing it as people being unable to learn new things is indeed rude, in large part there are simply stylistic differences in the way similar decision-making is presented, or a change in focus of the title, which don't reflect any real 'dumbing down' - this is the case for DoW II (which departed drastically from its predecessor), to at least some extent for Shogun 2, and that people familiar with a different system won't recognise as doing the same thing in a different way, but will see as oversimplified.

Shogun 2 mechanically simplified such things as happiness control (one tier of happiness/unhappiness rather than two, and fewer forms of unhappiness), taxation (handled at global rather than city level), growth management (now entirely based on building abilities and the gold needed to buy new buildings, rather than a separate food resource that 'grows' your settlements to the next tech level as in previous games), and tech trees (two rather than the half-dozen of the previous two instalments, each shorter than any Empire tree, and without building prerequisites) - but some of this is a case of removing unnecessary clutter and duplication that didn't really have a game effect (such as the simplification of happiness and at least some of the condensing of tech trees, or the removal of scholar and diplomat characters in favour of fully automated research and diplomacy you can open at will), and much of the rest achieves the same results in terms of forcing strategic decision-making, just in a different way - you now have to manage one resource rather than two (gold rather than gold and food), but growth is still as important as it was, and the flipside is that you now have to juggle doing everything you want with one limited resource instead of 'spreading the burden' across two, somewhat analogous to Civ IV's health + happiness vs. Civ V health. In a similar vein, the global tax rate/happiness system forces you to make decisions at the imperial level that are best for all of your cities, rather than having a fixed set of build orders that you can use to independently manage each of your cities with no intrinsically adverse impacts on the rest of your empire if you mismanage one (although of course you'll suffer the indirect consequences of losing or limiting that city's production until you get it under control). I mention this case in some detail precisely because a lot of these changes and 'simplifications' are mechanical, to make the game accessible, but do not make it any (or much) less strategic in the process. Personally, I prefer Empire's approach to growth and to tech (not to mention to character development - not a fan of the Diablo skill-tree approach, though I like the new approach to retainers), but I appreciate that Shogun 2 just has a different way of doing things which is similarly valid, and I find the global tax and happiness systems in Shogun 2 generally suit me better than the traditional TW model.

It's relevant to ask how you beat it - most testimony to that effect appears to come from people who beat it at combat, rather than by beating the AI to peaceful victory conditions. This presents a skewed view of the changes in difficulty, since Civ V AI is much worse at resisting domination or succeeding in early rushes than Civ IV's or previous games'; the difference is far less marked when competing for more peaceful victories (although 'peaceful' victories that use a lot of puppet cities and knock out early neighbours are easier, again because of AI combat limitations).
I bet Civ V with diplomatic victory, and then military victory.
So both peaceful and warlike. Civ V is bad at resisting warmongers therefore it is bad. As I said, for builders, it may be a good buy.
But my experience of all previous Civ games is that, if you survive, you win. You're not going to be outcompeted for the spaceship or a cultural victory, and not often in diplomacy. By contrast I can reliably survive a game on both Immortal and Deity but have yet to win a Deity game and rarely win Immortal on larger maps.
This is not my experience with Civ IV. I play monarch because, even though if I survive I dominate, I can still lose. Spaceship, cultural and diplomatic defeats. Usually because I get tangled in a war that prevents me from getting rid of whoever's building up, or because I have to target at once Wilhelm's cultural push and Pericles' spaceshipbuilding for instance.

You can keep arguing about what features are better (although I prefer 4 by far) but IMO Fall from Heaven and RFC makes 4 unbeatable.

Strictly, the thread asked "Is it worth buying?" The answer is yes, certainly to someone who hasn't played a Civ game before (to whom it's not really very relevant whether better games exist or, if they do, whether they share the same brand name).

No, buy Civ4. This one is worse in literally every aspect. If you already have Civ4 NP just keep playing that. If you don't have it, you know what to do.

Strictly, the thread asked "Is it worth buying?" The answer is yes, certainly to someone who hasn't played a Civ game before (to whom it's not really very relevant whether better games exist or, if they do, whether they share the same brand name).
Well, the OP goes:
is it better than civ4 why or why not.
So, strictly, not answering whether it's better than Civ 4 or not if off-topic.

i keep playing civ v because it's easier for a lazy person to play. not as much micromanaging cities, to deal with happiness/production/gold etc, no slider to optimally shift every turn to eke out the most per turn, no need to build transport ships. i wish id never played civ v though because now im too lazy to play civ iv, but civ iv is the game i remember having the most fun on, civ v is fun but just nowhere near as fun as civ iv, or challenging. i wouldnt advise someone to buy civ v, get civ iv bts, enjoy a great game. besides, if youre a person who isn't on a super state of the art computer civ v is going to run soooo painfully slow that the so-called graphics improvements won't matter much, since you'll eventually end up just playing exclusively in strategic mode in order to speed things up!

Top Bottom