Nukes should be game finishers...

The Atom Bomb may finish a city, but that is not a game finisher in itself at all. Even if it's a capital, it will only mean a shift to another city. Also, it will only affect 1 civ. I've even won after being nuked.

That's why i say in a sense since if you stock pile and release these consistently by building or rush buying then you can pretty much wipe everyone out except their capitals.

also my second paragraph is my opinion that should be done, in case they want it to become a Victory Condition which obviously finishes the game.

If you're playing on a tiny map, nuclear missles can be a game finisher because first one to use them and conquer the world wins. But if on a huge map, not so much especially if you're a huge empire, you will have a damaged war front that's all torn up and stuff but you will still have lands to fight with from and send troops through that fallout wastelands.

Doesn`t it seem strange that using nukes is such a non game finisher? Fire a nuke, meh. The other Civ fires a nuke, then you fire a nuke and on it goes. Nuclear war. No worldy radiation effects, no nuclear winter- meh.

Usually if I fire a nuke, the other civ doesn't get a chance to fire theirs. The exchanges tend to be pretty limited if you are using a decent strategy. Also, once you get a chance to fire nuclear missiles, the game is practically over unless you drag things on unnecessarily.

Furthermore, there usually aren't enough nukes in the game for global effects to end the game. In RL there have been more nukes used and unsafely tested than that of a typical civ5 game where nukes are used.

I think your recommendation would make game play more boring, and would provide another game ending mechanic when the modern eras are already too short.

Todays devices are, afaik, only missiles... no one uses bombers for current nuclear weapons.

Both Russia and the US have significant nuclear bomber forces.

The Atom Bomb may finish a city, but that is not a game finisher in itself at all. Even if it's a capital, it will only mean a shift to another city. Also, it will only affect 1 civ. I've even won after being nuked.

China finished their spaceship in the game I just lost (around turn 305) while Beijing and two neighboring cities were being nuked in a dirty war with England... Too bad that dang stasis chamber wasn't transit when England launched.

Meanwhile, England stalled on spaceship with two parts left after I conquered London because bad luck reassigned their capital to a puppet and I didn't leave them any open borders from their other cities, LoL. England was halted by politics and China shook off three nukes.

Nukes make no more of a difference than any other weapon in this game. I'd prefer it a lot grittier. No worker fallout-removal.

China finished their spaceship in the game I just lost (around turn 305) while Beijing and two neighboring cities were being nuked in a dirty war with England... Too bad that dang stasis chamber wasn't transit when England launched.

Meanwhile, England stalled on spaceship with two parts left after I conquered London because bad luck reassigned their capital to a puppet and I didn't leave them any open borders from their other cities, LoL. England was halted by politics and China shook off three nukes.

Nukes make no more of a difference than any other weapon in this game. I'd prefer it a lot grittier. No worker fallout-removal.

They don't make much of a difference if the AI uses them, but you should be able to. If you didn't position yourself well, it's not going to fix everything for you. They need to be well placed, well timed, and your forces need to be in position to take advantage.

Hydrogen bombs can be exponentially more powerful if you add more nuclear fusion stages to them (normal hydrogen bombs only have one fusion stage) so I guess the developers could add yet another stronger nuclear missile to the game that use 5 uranium and can completely destroy all cities, units, improvements, terrain, etc in a 5 tile radius meaning you can potentially destroy more than one city at once.
It would leave a a giant 5 tile crater that is completely unusable afterwards. I'm exaggerating a bit but you get the idea.

I don't think there's any need for this btw. Just to add insult to injury when you've already won the game.

They don't make much of a difference if the AI uses them, but you should be able to. If you didn't position yourself well, it's not going to fix everything for you. They need to be well placed, well timed, and your forces need to be in position to take advantage.

Mainly I'll only ever used nukes to take out unfired nukes in a mean sneak attack. Oddly, of the only four civs I have nuked three are Japan (twice) Russia and Arabia, I seem to be living out some American neocon anxieties.

Hydrogen bombs can be exponentially more powerful if you add more nuclear fusion stages to them (normal hydrogen bombs only have one fusion stage) so I guess the developers could add yet another stronger nuclear missile to the game that use 5 uranium and can completely destroy all cities, units, improvements, terrain, etc in a 5 tile radius meaning you can potentially destroy more than one city at once.
It would leave a a giant 5 tile crater that is completely unusable afterwards. I'm exaggerating a bit but you get the idea.

I don't think there's any need for this btw. Just to add insult to injury when you've already won the game.

Would make Russia WAY op with Fascism policy (4x the uranium). Although that would be super fun to play out a doomsday scenario like that. If that was in game you would have to add a "lose" condition where more than 50% of the land is intact or something like that.

Insult to injury is what makes the game fun! :deadhorse:
I want my enemies to be wiped off the earth in the most cruel way possible after what they do to me.

Mainly I'll only ever used nukes to take out unfired nukes in a mean sneak attack. Oddly, of the only four civs I have nuked three are Japan (twice) Russia and Arabia, I seem to be living out some American neocon anxieties.

Don't worry, I've relived Clancy moments by taking out the Iranians with conventional (super stealth) weapons, and then taking out South American commies and (Greater) North Korea with nukes.

Top Bottom