Multiple sea-tile resources blocked!

Rok

Chieftain
The screenshot says it all:

Spoiler :

What the hell's this? Does the Community Patch sort things like this out?

Ahahahaha.

Sorry. That's terrible. But also pretty hilarious. Maybe load up an autosave from turn 0 and move your starting settler up one hex and settle on the sheep? Alternatively you could settle on the hill one spot to the right and one spot down from your city. Both of those spots would let you put a canal between the ocean and that lake.

Just the luck of the draw, but yes very annoying. Like playing Elizabeth only to find the nice ocean you settled your capital on turns out to be a land locked duck pond. Solution above or maybe go take someone else's capital that's in a better location.

Thanks for the two suggestions, redwings and yung.

That's something I wasn't aware of, though; if I settle on hill southeast, I can send boats into that salty duck pond and also into the ocean?

In CP at least you could build a fort to act as a canal. I don`t know if it works in vanilla.
A citadell should do it anyways.

That is the kind of thing I guess the Japan UA is good for! I would reload, moving initial settler two hexes. But you could see if there is a militaristic CS that will gift Samurai.

Prime example of a case where re-rolling or reloading is not dishonorable, or even warrants Yung's suggestion. The most taboo of cheats, but in this case justifiable.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

And yes, Shaka, totally justifiable in this case; it's not like one would be adding any extra resources that the script didn't add, but simply giving access to the resources for Venice, just like Japan would've easily accessed them, or any other civilization would've accessed them if it knew it didn't have to settle in one excellent spot because it'll get more Settlers anyway. I love the ingame editor now, too. It's lovely to add Krakatoa right next to my city's coast now, instead of it always being in the middle of ocean-nowhere. :mischief:

You could possibly build your city on a tile adjacent to both seas. But, don't despair. When you get Refrigeration, you will have one awesome Submarine Pen. If there is only one tile separation between both bodies of water, ships can move through a city positioned on them. Perhaps a city positioned on a tile right of screen might solve the problem?

I was going to say why don't you settle on the other side of the island but it's Venice.

What if you wait for the AI to settle beside you, then conquor that city?

Or reload because it's single player and that's stupid.

Only turn 36, restart game and settle on the sheep. From just a tile stand point it's a better starting location anyway and with Venice you need all the help you can get.

what is the problem here? If that barb moves in range the city can kill him. If not, buy/build an archer and finish him that way.

still funny though and unfortunate for those lost turns. What is the math behind barbs embarking? I must confess I've never seen it myself. Does it require an encampment or can they do it anywhere?

what is the problem here?

Not the barb, it's that you can't get workboats to the sea resources to improve them...thus the advice to restart and settle on the sheep tile so as to get the canal effect from the city...

BTW, barbs can embark anywhere, not just around encampments...

Crus8r

oh gotcha. Now I understand the issue fully. That is unfortunate.
Does the lighthouse/seaport effect include those tiles or only ones on the coast of the city? If so they could still be valuable, just woudn't yield a luxury.

Lighthouse would still improve them, and for the fish, they're still very nice tiles, but not getting the happy/trade potential/WLTKD from the pearls would really suck...actually, looking at the screenshot again, the northernmost fish is not workable anyway where he settled...the sheep tile really is a FAR superior city site!

Crus8r

Beetle, I'm not sure I'd agree...yes, you would lose a bit of yield settling on the sheep, but the crab wouldn't be workable (you'd still get the lux...eventually, but so would the sheep site (even more eventually, 5th vs. 4th ring)) and you would also lose the fish SW of the lost sheep tile...plus Venice would be MUCH more exposed to sea attack. On the other hand, there is apparently some sea resource 3 tiles South of your preferred site (you can see a seagull's wing, and they only hang out over sea resource tiles) and there might be some offshore oil in all the extra sea tiles you'd pick up over the always terrible snow and ice tiles...it just depends, I guess...

A slightly larger screenshot (with a little more of the fog removed) of the vicinity might make the decision easier...

Crus8r

Top Bottom