Unit Making Tutorial by utahjazz7 (May 9, 2005)

Plotinus said:
Ignorant as I am, I would have thought it possible to edit a palette in the paint programme itself, wouldn't it? I use NeoPaint and you can certainly do it there. Load up the storyboard or whatever your image is and edit the palette.

I just read through the tutorial and am very impressed. Alas, I don't have Poser and can't afford it right now, so unfortunately there will be no units springing forth from my febrile imagination, at least not for the time being. But it may be useful to me to know how animations go back and forth between paint programs and Flicster, with a view to some colour conversions.

It certainly is possible to edit palettes within paint programs like Paint Shop Pro. It's just that--for me--pEdit is much easier. Of course, if pEdit will not open your images, then it's not gonna be easier. :)

Incidentally, if I wanted to create a unit without any civ colours, is it enough to simply render without any Blue (57:100:253) in the scene?

zulu9812 said:
Incidentally, if I wanted to create a unit without any civ colours, is it enough to simply render without any Blue (57:100:253) in the scene?

Basically yes. You'd probably want to eliminate all blues though because (57:100:253) is sort of the middle value of the range of civ-specific colors.

Or if you need blue in the unit--but not as civ-specific coloring--switch the civ-specific colors to something else. That can be done in FLICster. When you export a .flc to a storyboard, you can specify which civ-specific color will be the default, or what in the unit will be civ-specific. For example, you can set that to white, red, orange, yellow, etc. The change will be seen in the palette created by FLICster.

Hi.Im a noob (which is why i read your tutorial in the first place) and for the most part i found it great! The only problem i had was that because of monetary problems (i dont have any ;) ), i was forced to download DAZ studio instead of Poser, and found translating your instructions a bit difficult.
I was upto the part where you start animating the foot, and couldnt for the life of me work out how to do it...

Perhaps i have misread some earlier instructions?

I personally think that it may be mostly to do with the port from Mac to Windows. Any help would be great (atlhough a new version of your tutorial especially for Windows would be better, :blush: )!!!

But apart from that, your tutorial looks great! It has defiantely got me started on the road to unit creation anyhow! :goodjob:

mrkingkong said:
Hi.Im a noob (which is why i read your tutorial in the first place) and for the most part i found it great! The only problem i had was that because of monetary problems (i dont have any ;) ), i was forced to download DAZ studio instead of Poser, and found translating your instructions a bit difficult.
I was upto the part where you start animating the foot, and couldnt for the life of me work out how to do it...

Perhaps i have misread some earlier instructions?

I personally think that it may be mostly to do with the port from Mac to Windows. Any help would be great (atlhough a new version of your tutorial especially for Windows would be better, :blush: )!!!

But apart from that, your tutorial looks great! It has defiantely got me started on the road to unit creation anyhow! :goodjob:

As far as any operational difference from mac to windows, there really isn't one. The only thing that I am not sure about are the exact button and menu names. The process of animating a unit is the same though. Sorry, you'll have to find another excuse. ;) I'm just kidding there. I'm not familiar at all with DAZ studio, so I'm no help there. Good luck though.

zulu9812 said:
Rather than use the translate tool, I just use the dials

Ok, thanks for both your help...

Perhaps it is the theory i am struggling to understand then.

utahjazz7 said:
As far as any operational difference from mac to windows, there really isn't one. The only thing that I am not sure about are the exact button and menu names. The process of animating a unit is the same though. Sorry, you'll have to find another excuse. I'm just kidding there. I'm not familiar at all with DAZ studio, so I'm no help there. Good luck though.

Damn! Ill just have to think of a better one! ;) Erm...the tutorial crashed, yeah, erm, thats it!

I have a question, not sure if this is the right place, oh and it's a wonderful tutorial!

I made a very basic and simple shiled in 3ds max, for this tutorial. I mean very basic, my spelling is not the best perhaps, but It was supposed to look like it was made of four wooden "planks" with glitches between them, roughly cut out. However when I imported that to Poser it was all in one mesh? Also made these "straps to hold the shield" - made two of them, sometimes only one showed up in poser and they were also part of the mesh...? Not sure if this is understandable... I tried to export both as 3ds and obj...

But is it one special plugin you make to export from max to poser?

Risbinroch said:
I have a question, not sure if this is the right place, oh and it's a wonderful tutorial!

I made a very basic and simple shiled in 3ds max, for this tutorial. I mean very basic, my spelling is not the best perhaps, but It was supposed to look like it was made of four wooden "planks" with glitches between them, roughly cut out. However when I imported that to Poser it was all in one mesh? Also made these "straps to hold the shield" - made two of them, sometimes only one showed up in poser and they were also part of the mesh...? Not sure if this is understandable... I tried to export both as 3ds and obj...

But is it one special plugin you make to export from max to poser?

I'm not a 3D modelling expert, but I'll lend my opinion. I believe that when you save your model, even if the your model has separate parts, it will always be concidered one object, meaning that all the parts move together and will have the same color and other properties. What you can do however, it to assign individual polygons to materials. For example the base of the shield could be a "wood" material. Then you could have a "straps" material. Then, the different parts of the model could have different properties. The other thing that you can do it the create a texture map for your object which you could then color and apply to the model. I'm not sure if that helps or not, but I think that that is what your were wondering about.

I'm not sure why one strap wouldn't show up, but I have also had this problem where when I export my model to .3ds format, pieces are missing. I don't understand why though.

Weasel Op said:
utah, I can't find any references to PSP 3.0 anywhere on the Corel site (I even did a search). Where can I download it?

The problem is that PSP 3.0 is old. I don't think that you can dowload it from the Corel site itself. I first started using it back when CivII first came out--long time ago, it seems. I still have the two floppies that I originally used to install it. I've used the free trial for a couple of newer versions, but I like this version 3.0 the best. All that said, here's what you really want . . . a link where it can still be downloaded from. I should have just posted this originally. :)

http://www.pagetutor.com/pagetutor/makapage/psp/

John Lennon Jr. said:
Hey everyone. This seems like a great tutorial, but i am unable to find the poser link. Does anyone know where i could get this?

I don't know what you mean by the Poser link. Do you mean a link to download the program? If so, I'm afraid that I do not know of you. There is no free trial for Poser, as far as I know. You're best bet is to buy it, if you want it.

utahjazz7 said:
I'm not a 3D modelling expert, but I'll lend my opinion. I believe that when you save your model, even if the your model has separate parts, it will always be concidered one object, meaning that all the parts move together and will have the same color and other properties. What you can do however, it to assign individual polygons to materials. For example the base of the shield could be a "wood" material. Then you could have a "straps" material. Then, the different parts of the model could have different properties. The other thing that you can do it the create a texture map for your object which you could then color and apply to the model. I'm not sure if that helps or not, but I think that that is what your were wondering about.

I'm not sure why one strap wouldn't show up, but I have also had this problem where when I export my model to .3ds format, pieces are missing. I don't understand why though.

This is a poser glitch actually.
I import to other software and they come normally, seperate. But in poser, I'm pretty sure even its own models will be imported as one(actually, i'm certain as I've tried it).

utahjazz7 said:
I don't know what you mean by the Poser link. Do you mean a link to download the program? If so, I'm afraid that I do not know of you. There is no free trial for Poser, as far as I know. You're best bet is to buy it, if you want it.

I think he means the link in the second post, which doesn't work, as Curious Labs is no longer 'Curious Labs'. I found the new site the other day, however.

GREAT tutorial !

This has solved most of the problems I had before ! I think I am back and will eventually release something !
On the other hand I have one new issue : I cannot see the shadows anymore. Did I do something wrong at one time ?

And my last remaining issue is the palette. I am partly color-blind which does not help much and in you tutorial the part is covered briefly (guess you were tired or thought it was obvious).

So if someone has proficiency at palette editing and wants to work with me....

Top Bottom