SGOTM2 Germany - Team scout

Order of go:

Gengis Khan - On deck, getting back in the saddle
Tallanas Caesar - Warming up
scoutsout - on the bench
Mistfit - Just played
Northern Pike <---- Up

Let's continue with 12 turns/session for a while....

We should have a sweepstake as to how many turns there are left :)

At this rate, maybe 120? I'm actually tempted to go a bit lower than that, say 110...

At 12 turns a piece, that's only just 2 sets each! Can't wait to see how it turns out...

Mistfit, well done on the worker-merging. :goodjob: Both our cores are looking a lot healthier now. Got it.

Any other takers for the sweepstake? The prize is only bragging rights, but still...

:mischief:

Thanks NP but you need to take the credit for that. I was just looking over the map of our island and thinking about one of Tallanas' suggestions abou taking some cities from Cathy. If we were to take Keiv, St Pete, and Moscow from her we would be in a whole lot better position to attack the French. (of course this is assuming the French get the UN)

Yes, I'll enter the sweepstake--after I've had a look at the save, but before I play.

1030 (0): The best guesses in the sweepstakes seem to be taken, so I'll be optimistic and choose 100 turns.

I don't think I'll send the settler to the open space SW of Sverdlovsk spotted by Mistfit. The problem is that we'd end up with a city difficult to defend in a war with France, Russia, or England--and losing cities in democracy, with the population very vulnerable to war weariness, is a real pain in the ___. But the settler won't be wasted--see below.

The Indians offer a trade of territory maps, which we accept.

We discover Steam Power and begin research on Industrialization, due in five turns at 100%, -4gpt.

As far as I can tell--it's easy to be mistaken about this--there are eight sources of coal in the world. Three are on the other continent, three are ours, one belongs to Russia, and one is still unclaimed near Funfkirchen. I'll try to claim the latter with our settler.

At some point we may have to let the French have some coal, but I think I'll wait until we're sure of US and ToE.

1040 (1): I adjust our core cities so that they won't complete anything before they can switch to factory builds.

We begin rail construction.

1050 (2): New Berlin finally completes the Forbidden Palace. I had a screenshot of this, but then I hit Print Screen a second time by mistake before saving it as a JPG. :lol:

1060 (3): The Chinese and the Indians go to war on the other continent. They share a long border, so this probably won't be a phony war.

I accept Joanie's offer of furs for incense and 20 gpt. Since it looks as though we're going to be able to control France's access to coal, speeding up the French research rate should be a win-win proposition.

1070 (4): Rail-building, worker merges, etc.

1080 (5): We discover Industrialization and begin research on Electricity, due in five turns at 90%, 35 gpt.

1090 (6): I switch 17 cities to factory builds.

1100 (7): New Salzburg and New Dortmund (island cities) library --> harbour.

We get two palace expansions.

1110 (8): The other civs aren't showing up with any new techs. The Chinese have fallen behind the Russia-India-France group, so I let them have Steam Power for 32 gpt, 31 gold, and their WM.

I renew our wines deal with the Japanese, sending them 17 gpt and Magnetism and bringing them into the IA.

Brandenburg factory (our first) --> university.

1120 (9): Konigsberg factory --> palace pre-build for ToE.

New Leipzig and New Hamburg marketplace --> factory.

1130 (10): We found Mistburg in the southeast, where it'll control the one unclaimed coal after a cultural expansion.

We discover Electricity and begin research on Medicine (since our rivals show no inclination to discover it for us, curse them), due in four turns at 80%, 35 gpt.

Leipzig marketplace --> factory.

1140 (11): Berlin factory --> Universal Suffrage.

New Berlin marketplace --> factory.

1150 (12): New Frankfurt marketplace --> factory.

1160 (13): I take a thirteenth turn, since it seems Mistfit only played eleven. Nothing much happens. ;)

I've concentrated the efforts of our workers on Berlin and Konigsberg (which are now basically optimized, until we get hospitals) this round, so that these two cities can build US and ToE for us as quickly as possible. Once US triggers our GA, we should be able to research whatever we want at the four-turn minimum.

BTW, we mustn't cut down the remaining forests within Konigsberg's city radius at the moment, just in case anyone was thinking of it. If the shields from a chop were credited to the palace pre-build we wouldn't be allowed to switch to a Wonder.

The other civs didn't discover a single tech new to us this round. I suspect they're obeying the AI's obsession with government techs, and slowly researching Communism. Once we've built US and ToE, we should be able to go a lot further in terms of giving our rivals everything they don't have. But our own civ's tech pace is going to be so fast for the rest of the game that I wouldn't be surprised if we never get another required tech from the AI civs.

We need to discuss how we're going to exploit the fact that the French don't have coal. (The rest of you should check my conclusion here, though, since--I'll repeat--it's easy to make mistakes about this.) We could let them have coal at some point (probably fairly soon, if we're going to do it all), or we could just try to make sure that the Russians build the UN. Russia's major cities are much closer to us than France's, after all.

The worker-merging program is going well, and should continue for the forseeable future.

Frankfurt and Heidelburg should build banks when they complete their factories. This should make us eligible for Wall Street (which we should perhaps build in Brandenburg, although there are various good candidates.)

Some of our second-core cities may seem to be a good way from completing their factories; but with worker merges, rail-building, and the replacement of some of their irrigation with mines, it shouldn't take too long. It's the mining of irrigated tiles that's easy to overlook. Some of the cities in question are stuck at size six anyway, and the others can receive worker merges, so food surpluses don't matter much.

This is beautiful NP! :thumbsup:

This absolutely cracks me up - I'm looking at Heidleburg, Munich, Hamburg (undefended) Berlin (warrior) Salzburg (catapult) and Bonn (Swordsman) and Frankfurt (Spearman)
:rotfl:
We are definitely playing more to the scientific trait than the militaristic....

Looking good guys, I do have a couple slight concerns but I'll address them when I open the save.

Got it, and praying my disk comes today.

Great turns NP!

I have a couple of thoughts. First, blistering tech pace, well done all :goodjob:

Second, is it my imagination or is the Orange part of the map slowly disappearing... If so, we may need to umm... adress the number of AIs left with two arms to vote with, so to speak :mischief:

Great looking turns NP :rockon:

1120 (9): Konigsberg factory --> palace pre-build for ToE.

Out of curiosity sake what happened to the previous palace prebuild in Koni - it got changed to a factory? Did we gain that much from the factory that we could afford to waste the turns of the previous pre-build? Please don't take offense to this question I just would like to know your thought process here to better my game.

The other civs didn't discover a single tech new to us this round. I suspect they're obeying the AI's obsession with government techs, and slowly researching Communism. Once we've built US and ToE, we should be able to go a lot further in terms of giving our rivals everything they don't have. But our own civ's tech pace is going to be so fast for the rest of the game that I wouldn't be surprised if we never get another required tech from the AI civs.

I agree. I think the only thing we can hope for is to pick up some of the Non-requisite techs like sanitation from them. This is why I said lets get the most out of them as possible to help our cash situation.

1160 (13): I take a thirteenth turn, since it seems Mistfit only played eleven. Nothing much happens.

It takes me so long per turn with my indecision and trying my dangdest not to miss something I can certainly see myself miss counting. But wasn't there 12 posts in my turn log?

This absolutely cracks me up - I'm looking at Heidleburg, Munich, Hamburg (undefended) Berlin (warrior) Salzburg (catapult) and Bonn (Swordsman) and Frankfurt (Spearman)

It's not that bad Tal we DO have a 1 rifleman in Cologne :D

Betting Pool
Mistfit 127 - 13 = 114
Tallanas 110 - 13 = 97
Northern Pike 100 - 13 = 87 :twitch: edited for poor math I though we got that tech a long time ago
Scout ?
GK ?

Mistfit said:
Great looking turns NP I agree. I think the only thing we can hope for is to pick up some of the Non-requisite techs like sanitation from them. This is why I said lets get the most out of them as possible to help our cash situation.
Sanitation is a pretty powerful tech. IMO, its the most important dead-end tech of the Industrial Age.

I think we need to make it a priority to acquire the dead-end techs, just to keep the AI from wasting their gold on them. Some techs that might make good trading fodder for this include Medicine and Sanitation. We've already got Nationalism; leaving Communism and Espionage...

We need to get all of the world's research directed towards the Modern Age.

Betting Pool
Mistfit 127 - 13 = 114
Tallanas 110 - 13 = 97
Northern Pike 100 - 13 = 77
Scout ?
GK ?

I'm going tto bet.... 118 on the pool; 105 from this juncture.

I agree that Sanitation is a powerful tech (hospitals). But that being said I don't think that we should research it ourselves. My plan would be to keep on the required techs and let the AI pick up the non-requisite techs and just trade for them. Even if we never got hospitals (which I don't think will happen) we could still win this race to the Modern Era.

Edit:
I'm going tto bet.... 118 on the pool; 105 from this juncture.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. That would put the win during my turns :D

mistfit said:
Betting Pool
Mistfit 127 - 13 = 114
Tallanas 110 - 13 = 97
Northern Pike 100 - 13 = 77
Scout ?
GK ?

:eek: 100-13 is 77, huh? ;)

*cough*

So, at the moment we have...

Mistfit 114
Tallanas 97
NP 87
Scout 105

I can see why Scout wants the slight delay of us researching dead end techs, rather than letting the AI do it. He knows that this won't last more than 100 turns, and is trying to spin it out!!

:mischief:

Top Bottom