[MOD] Age of Discovery II

If I remember my history lessons correctly, Brazil wasnt the only portuguese colony in south america, we had others that were later ceded to the dutch or french i dont remember.
It is my understanding that Dutch and French Guiana were part of Brazil when they were Portugese. Considering that they're right next to it I really see no reason why they wouldn't have been.

I already have the workings of the Indian placement system. All I need are 4 more North and 4 more South tribes (to make 8 of each) complete with leaderheads. :)

Then it's a very simple process. Oh, and you'll even be able to select "north america" or "south america" for a random map. And if you want, the "pacific" or "africa". Pretty neat eh? :) But that'll be in a later build.

Super stuff Dale. I think I'll just play this instead of the real game when I finally get it.

I'd like to have your fixes in a seperate mod or even without the need for a mod.

FIXES:
- Cargo now takes as many berths as its size requirement (eg: treasure takes 6 berths)
- AI now assigns higher priority to picking up treasures on non-colonised islands
- AI now actually picks up treasures when transport next to it
- AI uses King's Transport for treasures if it doesn't have a free transport of the right size all through the game (was use King's Transport up to turn 90)

Thats great Dale! You could release that new indian placement system in a patch and worry about adding new civs later ;)

Hey Dale,

Are the pirates really meant to be a playable Civ?

I like how they play differently in that they just make their own people and have no need for sissy stuff like Liberty or Religion. By the same token, however, how do I break free from my shackles to the Pirate King (or am I him already) and win the game? I'm also assuming that they don't bother with Founding Fathers or can they still get any of them buyable only through Military and Exploration points?

Thats great Dale! You could release that new indian placement system in a patch and worry about adding new civs later ;)

Color me clueless but what is this about the Special Indian Placement System? Is it being able to have them placed randomly on a pre-scripted map or just how they are located now in the random maps with this mod?

Color me clueless but what is this about the Special Indian Placement System? Is it being able to have them placed randomly on a pre-scripted map or just how they are located now in the random maps with this mod?

You can define a native tribe as an African tribe, and they will only appear on maps that represent Africa.

Where did you change the AI behavior, Dale? I'm interested in doing it myself, but I can't really find it in the xml's.

AI behaviour is in the code SDK. In a folder called CvGameCoreDLL.

In the download it came with 3 maps. When I load the mod I do not get the opportunity to use any of these maps. How are these accessable?

Here it is a nice map that would give you some reference on how to place the current tribes, and the starting locations of the european powers.

About other south american tribes, I recommend the Mapuches, in the southern tip of south america, in the Patagonia area.

amap7sw.gif

Hey Dale,

Are the pirates really meant to be a playable Civ?

I like how they play differently in that they just make their own people and have no need for sissy stuff like Liberty or Religion. By the same token, however, how do I break free from my shackles to the Pirate King (or am I him already) and win the game? I'm also assuming that they don't bother with Founding Fathers or can they still get any of them buyable only through Military and Exploration points?

In an answer to myself I figure for now I'll just leave the Pirates as an AI only Civ (I edited the appropriate XML so they're not accessible to the human player and therefore won't show up accidentally if playing a random Civ as I usually like to do).

With the pirates, a lot of work needs to be done there. I am looking for suggestions on what to do with them. Should they operate like another Euro civ with a Europe, "King" etc? Or should they be more of a native type civ?

In the download it came with 3 maps. When I load the mod I do not get the opportunity to use any of these maps. How are these accessable?

You just need to click on new scenario. BTW, I realise I left a "copy" of one of the maps in the folder, so in fact there's only two new ones I supplied. The old Col1 map and the Columbus Dream map. :)

With the pirates, a lot of work needs to be done there. I am looking for suggestions on what to do with them. Should they operate like another Euro civ with a Europe, "King" etc? Or should they be more of a native type civ?

Ahh but before answering that do you have any plans on how you could make the natives playable civs? As it is now one would pretty much have to go with making the Pirates play like the other Europeans as they are the only playable civs.

Yeah there's a setting in the XML to turn natives on. It's really no fun though, you can't build any buildings and you can't train units. You can't trade so you can't make money either. You have to wait for pop increases like everyone else.

It really is a chore to play natives so I turned it off again.

Yeah there's a setting in the XML to turn natives on. It's really no fun though, you can't build any buildings and you can't train units. You can't trade so you can't make money either. You have to wait for pop increases like everyone else.

It really is a chore to play natives so I turned it off again.

Yes and that is why it would really require a LOT of clever fine tuning to make natives a viable option. They definitely shouldn't play like the European players but until somebody fleshes out their functionality they'll never be more than simply "AI Controlled Obstacles" in the game.

:D Okay, I'll try to suggest things.
1. Liberty bells and Crosses could be changed to someting else. Criminality for instance could be a good choice.
2. Petty criminals from other states could "defect" to your according to this criminality rating.
3. Change the church and town hall for something more "thematic".
4. I'd inspire myself from "BTS-Espionnage" to create a kind of unit that can steal/plunder land tiles near other civs or even their towns, earning gold and phat-loot (i.e. ressources). This unit could replace/complement the trade wagon.

I'll chime in later with other ideas...

I've got other ideas (about the pirate civ).

Give the pirate the ability to earn slaves through the capture of natives (and give them a diplomacy hit if they do that).

Make them able to do limited trade with Europe, let them sell slaves and treasure. They should also be able to trade with natives (when relations are good). It would thus force the player to be aggressive to earn treasure and slaves (as pirates should be).

Some buildings could be changed as you build your mod:
1. Change Weaver's building to something else or even delete it (pirate weavers?!?)
2. Change Cigar factory or delete it as it doesn't fit their "theme".
3. You must keep the distillery! Pirates love their rhum!

Thus, the pirate civ doesn't need to gather fur or cotton, as both ressources do not go well within the theme for this civ but they can still sell these ressources to others (natives or other civs).

My goal, if I was a modder, would be to create a "civ" that's VERY different from the European civs for the pirates. Thus, my ideas all go toward this direction. I'd get inspiration from the FfH2 mod for BTS.

Top Bottom