france gets slept on at higher levels

Hah, Im hesitant to check off on policy saving... is this really considered legitimate?

No it's not. You can use it to milk achievements, but if you're trying to improve your skills, it's a crutch.

France is great, but I'm not sure why everyone feels the need to use the 4-city tradition opener in every single situation. If there's one civ that just screams out for a liberty-REX opener it's France...at least if there is room on the map and enough luxuries.

I also second (or third) this sentiment. Every civ that gets a solid per city bonus (Persia, France, Carthage on a water-heavy map, etc., etc.) is probably better off expanding as much as possible. Tradition is the flavor of the month I guess.

It isn't a cheap shot if you aren't enjoying the benefits of other policies while waiting for Rationalism.

I disagree with this. Otherwise, they wouldn't have removed the option as the default. Although the real problem was saving it until after Cristo Redentor.

BTW, I agree with those who go Liberty and REX. The benefit of France comes from the culture per city offsetting the expansion penalty.

This isn't default anymore for a reason. Checking it removes a time element that is now meant to be part of the stock game.

If anything were "meant to be part of the stock game", there wouldn't be an option.

ive thought about going:

Tradition
Oligarchy
Honor
Discipline
Military Caste
Professional Army

So in case you are keeping track thats +3 happiness per city with no upkeep cost w/ garrison/walls/castle, 100% ranged combat str, +4 base culture, plus another +2 free happiness with arsenal/military base, and faster border expansion/cheaper upgrades

This works if you plan on playing an aggressive France.

Having to take extra policies elsewhere before the Renaissance, is only really a problem if you are going for minimalistic culture in favor of science. Something that France just doesn't do since if you get monuments on top of that, you are miles ahead of anyone else in culture.

With the patch having 1-2 extra policies in say patronage won't be terrible for those civs that do get extra culture early but do want to go rationalism quick.

France is great, but I'm not sure why everyone feels the need to use the 4-city tradition opener in every single situation. If there's one civ that just screams out for a liberty-REX opener it's the Mayans...at least if there is room on the map and enough luxuries.

fixed

i think u get better CPT from the tradition than a 6+ city liberty approach, this helps with science later.

you pretty much end up wide anyway after you start puppetting with cannons or artillery

you have a point that the Mayans are really good for this approach too. But that doesn't mean France should go tradition. being able to rapidly expand while still getting policies in a reasonable time frame gives them an advantage over every single other civ.

it requires more skill to get the most out of France's UA. You can't just spam UBs, you have to plan ahead to make the most out of getting a few policies earlier. But the potential is there if you have the skills (and the map).

If anything were "meant to be part of the stock game", there wouldn't be an option.

Except they didn't want to piss off people who relied on it. They decided it made for a cheesier game and that the consequences for having to wait to use a policy certainly did not outweigh the benefits, but they left it in for those who didn't like the change. It's not meant to be part of the stock game, it's meant to be an option, just like modding is (but modding, at the time, wouldn't let you do that).

Top Bottom