Is civ5 worth buying it?

No, not really. If you never played any other civilization games, then maybe - but if you did you will most likely hate it.

CiV is the only game I deeply regret buying, and I have never been so disappointed in a purchase in my gaming life.

A good company bends to the majority and the majority has clearly spoken.

Surreal and controversial opinion.

I prefer Civ 5 over Civ 4 for reasons stated above, though they should've done a lot better making combat-- you know-- better...

I don't think one absolutely has to have it to play if you bought the physical disks, as I have, but it does make updating & patching easier.

Can't one still play the game if one bought the physical disks?
Moderator Action: Unless you own the Mac AppStore version, you must use Steam. This need not be discussed further.

Surreal and controversial opinion.

That just happens to be the majority opinion. The devs and 2k certainly have made more friends than actual enemies with Steam.

Game is in top #10 again today.

That just happens to be the majority opinion. The devs and 2k certainly have made more friends than actual enemies with Steam.

Game is in top #10 again today.

Highly debatable, highly off topic.

Steam says that right now, 30.000 users are playing Civilization 5, more than CS: GO, CoD MW3 and Garry's Mod. It has been like this since 2011.

At the end, everyone has their own opinion. But with about 10K - 30K players everyday, I could say that (the mayority of) the community likes Civ5. So it can't be as horrible as hardcore Civ4 veterans state it.

And yes, I prefer Civ5 over Civ4, because of:

- Combat
- Religion
- Unpredictable diplomacy (although it can be improved)

At the end, everyone has their own opinion. But with about 10K - 30K players everyday, I could say that (the mayority of) the community likes Civ5. So it can't be as horrible as hardcore Civ4 veterans state it.

Jersey Shore, Justin Bieber etc etc. Popularity has absolutely nothing to do with quality.

Jersey Shore, Justin Bieber etc etc. Popularity has absolutely nothing to do with quality.

:D except Chuck Norris it reflect quality

maybe I'm wrong, civ before was a segmented product, it is not for everyone, it have it own character, it own fans, and unique game quality. It control both micro and macro management on building empire, and it dealt with complexity of each element on building empire, like income, growth, population, health, sciences, and we being put in the middle of all of these problem and try to make it balances, both in macro management or micro management, from how we build improvement, city specialization, and all of these things.

But in my humble opinion, civ5 try to make a bridge to make civilization from a segmented product (like europa universalis, for me this game is magnificent, from the map, gameplay, historical event, this game is epic, magnum opus, but again not everybody can play and like europa universalis) to make it mass product that everybody can play it, easy to understand, instant, less micro more macro etc. I do understand why part of peoples here don't like civ5, and I do also understand why civ5 can be fun. But for me, civ5 is worst civ product with good potential. One things that very enjoyable in civ5, is the combat system (not the 1upt) even its better than europa universalis, archer really appear as an archer and siege weapon as a siege weapon not as crazy kamikaze or martyr who crushing his head to enemy city wall or huge army.

It is not whole of civ5 is bad or wrong, and not also the best civ product we can even call it a degradation in civilization game, but again this only my opinion.

Oh yeah it's worth it!

But I think it's essential to get it with Gods&Kings expansion, it just adds so much content and balance into the game. After G&K it's in my opinion the best Civ game.

Distant worlds was a lot better 4x space game. Have you tried that one yet?

Yes, and that may have spoiled me - I can't remember if I tried DW first or not, but when I did play it Sins seemed still more disappointing by comparison (although I do like the idea of the 'exploration party' mechanic. Endless Space tries something similar, but the less said about that game the better).

Only trouble with Distant Worlds is the price tag for the expansion content, as a result of which I don't have either expansion.

It's a good game and worth buying if you have never played Civ 4 before. Because of Civ 4's existence this game will always be remembered as a huge dissappointment by me. Civ 4 is top class.

Vainilla Civ 5 is a laughably average game. Not bad per se, but nothing special, and much less of an historical simulator than its predecessor.

That being said, Civ 5 + Gods & Kings is a quite engrossing game, and vastly (and refreshingly) different from Civ 4, and worth of checking out.

Many of the Civ 5 innovations will no doubt carry on on future civ installements (1UPT, unique religion system, Unique civilization Abilities, etc), but they only shine and became fully fleshed out on the expansion.

Vainilla Civ 5 is a laughably average game. Not bad per se, but nothing special, and much less of an historical simulator than its predecessor.

That being said, Civ 5 + Gods & Kings is a quite engrossing game, and vastly (and refreshingly) different from Civ 4, and worth of checking out.

This is the only reason I`m strongly considering this game. Before the expansion, i wasn`t interested. What`s a game based on Civilisation with no religion?

I always liked the Civ games because it was like a lesson of the basics of civs, but you could play. I even remember when they were called `Edutainment` (Education+Entertainment)... It`s a win\win to be entertained and educated, the CIV games were great for that.

How times have changed.

Anyway, I`ll keep Civ4 complete no matter what.

This is the only reason I`m strongly considering this game. Before the expansion, i wasn`t interested. What`s a game based on Civilisation with no religion?

Ask Civilization, Civilization II, Civilization III and Civilization: Call to Power?

Even in vanilla religion was strongly represented in Civ V, more so than in all previous incarnations of the game except Civ IV - it had a policy tree specifically devoted to Piety, with bonuses for temples resembling the ones from Civ IV's religion mechanic.

With the expansion Civ V takes something similar to the separate religion mechanic Civ IV introduced in its somewhat rudimentary way and fixes a lot of that game's problems with religion (principally its tech-dependence, the overwhelming importance of playing as wide as possible to spread religion as far as possible, the imbalances between civs with religions and those without, and the binary nature of its effects on diplomacy - either all-important or irrelevant depending on rival civ).

Why whenever one says something that isn`t outright praise of Civ V someobdy always gets twisted in a knot about it and makes it sound like it`s the best thing since slice bread.

I`ll hold my own opinion on what makes Civ V good or bad.

Civ V (only with the Gods & Kings expansion pack) is worth buying. On the PC, it must use Steam (which can be positive or negative, depending on your views on content delivery software), though I am opposed to Steam, since I do not have much friends or any interest in other PC games (I strongly detest FPSes and WRPGs that are not MMOs) to make it worthwhile (and I prefer physical discs, since I have strict bandwidth limits), and I refuse to accept the Steam user agreement, because it would mean that it would scan my computer and I want a completely offline option as well. I also enjoy buying, selling, and trading used games. Yes, Civ V should make Steam optional.

Fortunately, if you detest Steam, there is a way to play Civ V without it at all.

There is only one legal Steam-less way to have this game: it is through the Mac Apps store and it is the Civ V Campaign Edition. If you have a Windows or a Linux machine, it is an unfortunate fact of life that you have to buy a Mac. It does not have multiplayer.

I currently do not have a Mac computer (and I am planning to get one). This is why I do not have Civ V as of yet (despite this, I am knowledgeable in Civ V: G&K, since I learn about the gameplay through research and watching videos).

Maybe time I changed to a Mac... and I don`t need multiplayer. I will actually look into changing to a mac.

Anyway, for now, I`m going to continue tolerating Steam for now since I can purchase it really cheap (I don`t buy any Steam game full price incase it`s rubbish).

Thanks for your response. Like I said the Kings expansion is the one reason i`m getting this. :)

Why whenever one says something that isn`t outright praise of Civ V someobdy always gets twisted in a knot about it and makes it sound like it`s the best thing since slice bread.

I`ll hold my own opinion on what makes Civ V good or bad.

If that's directed at me, there's a difference between saying something that "isn't outright praise of Civ V" and applying a double standard (such as claiming to dislike Civ games that ignore religion yet, by implication, having liked Civs I-III); likewise there's a difference between "getting twisted in a knot" and impartially pointing out that inaccuracy.

As far as the subject at hand is concerned, the key thing to be aware of and the ultimate source of most complaints against Civ V (however they're presented) is that Civ V has a lower difficulty threshold than Civ IV. The game is not, fundamentally, any different in scope or, despite mechanical changes, approach from any previous Civ game. But warmongers find it easy to beat in combat, a more complex diplomacy system highlights AI shortcomings a little too obviously, and at higher levels the AI is very poor at using bonuses its given - the same kinds of bonuses were given to Civ IV AIs, of course, but they actually used them to improve their game position. Looking "under the hood" at game mechanics, the claims of extra complexity or depth in Civ IV are nearly all just a case of rose-tinted glasses, but a game that players find more difficult is one that they're going to attribute greater complexity to than one they find easier. So if your objective with a Civ game is just to find the cookie-cutter strategy that can beat it, rather than playing for immersion or enjoyment, Civ V probably isn't for you (but then, I doubt Civ IV would be either - the cookie-cutter strategies needed to beat that on its highest levels have been in the public domain for years).

I always liked the Civ games because it was like a lesson of the basics of civs, but you could play. I even remember when they were called `Edutainment` (Education+Entertainment)... It`s a win\win to be entertained and educated, the CIV games were great for that.

How times have changed.

Anyway, I`ll keep Civ4 complete no matter what.

Thing is, Civ 5 was made with a far, far different mindset than 4, that's why the fandom of the two games tends to clash. For you to have an idea:

Civilization 4

- More builder - oriented
- More historical realism and historical mechanics on place
- More ways to disrupt your enemy other than war
- More tactics than strategy
- Better diplomacy
- Several different ways of playing works, allowing for a bit of role playing

Civilization 5

- More combat oriented and better combat overall
- More of a board game than a historical simulator
- More strategy than tactics (except when talking about combat)
- Less micromanaging, both for good and bad
- Strong dichotomy between tall and wide empires
- Little to no flavour, until the expansion brought religions into the table

Top Bottom