Tiles underneath natural wonders

Dogmouth

King
Are the tiles underneath natural wonders always desert? This question would have been meaningless in vanilla, but now that Petra is here, it's suddently relevant. If the tiles are deserts, my suspicion is that the Petra yield for the natural wonder tile would be doubled with Spain (Spain seems to double all yield rather than just the base wonder yield), which would lead to some interesting tile yields. For instance, Mt. Fuji with Petra, Spain, and the natural wonder faith bonus (can't remember the name) would yield 2:c5food:, 6 :c5production:, 8 :c5gold:, 6 :c5culture:, 14 :c5faith:. That single tile would be like a medium sized city all by itself. (Note: it's already been confirmed that the +:c5faith: per natural wonder pantheon is doubled for Spain, so the only question is Petra). I ask because I've just colonized a desert with Sinai in a game as Spain. So far the tile provides a staggering 24:c5faith:. If Petra adds to that tile, I wouldn't have to worry about starving and I could use the extra hammers and gold.

NO they aren't. Some are and som aren't. depends on location Not sure about your other question though but even then Mt Fuji would not provide the above figures. How on earth could it add 6 production. The most it should be is two. (Note that goldenage money isn't doubled, so I doubt Petra will)

NO they aren't. Some are and som aren't. depends on location Not sure about your other question though but even then Mt Fuji would not provide the above figures. How on earth could it add 6 production. The most it should be is two. (Note that goldenage money isn't doubled, so I doubt Petra will)

Isn't mount Fuji's base prodution 2? (2+1 from Petra)*2 (Spanish UA) = 6, right? Am I missing something?

Mt. Fuji is 2:c5gold:, 3:c5culture:, 3:c5faith:.
For some reason it's listed incorrectly in many online sources.

The natural wonder is a tile in itself. Its like a mountain. But it is its own type. If you look at the terrain section of the civlopedia it will list all the normal terrain types then the natural wonders.

Actually most natural wonders next to your city allow you to build buildings/wonders that require a mountain (Neuschwanstein, Observatory etc.) and they are impassible after all so they are considered mountains. Not sure if it counts for things like old faithful or the great barrier reef, but it does for the "mountainy" wonders. Would be interesting to test if Carthagian units can walk through natural wonders due to their UA.

Mt. Fuji is 2:c5gold:, 3:c5culture:, 3:c5faith:.
For some reason it's listed incorrectly in many online sources.
A guess for reason for wrong listing could be that it has been changed since original release of game. Sadly, many online sources still list values way back from right after release.

A good number of wonders seem to always appear over desert.

Sinai seems to be over desert100% of the time. Some desert natural wonders also appear in tundra, I have noticed.

I am sure that Spain doubles anything that is applied to a natural wonder tile, and I am sure that Petra gives a bonus to tiles even under mountains, oases, and natural wonders. That leaves the question of when the Petra bonus is added.

There are two possibilities.

Natural wonder...desert...Petra bonus...Spain UA

OR

Natural wonder...Spain UA...desert...Petra Bonus

If the first is true, Spain should get double Petra yield, as well.

If the second is true, no extra food, money, and hammers.

If you get Petra, let us know what happens.

Natural wonder...Spain UA...desert...Petra Bonus

If the first is true, Spain should get double Petra yield, as well.

If the second is true, no extra food, money, and hammers.

If you get Petra, let us know what happens.

Did a test run last night with Mt. Sinai

Base stats: 8:c5faith:pt

Spain stats 16:c5faith:pt

With Petra: 1:c5food:pt, 1:c5production:pt, 1:c5gold:pt, 16:c5faith:pt

It apperas that petra does not get doubled by spains UA, most likey to balence it out.

I don't know if balance was the issue with it, but rather, modifiers to the tile are considered after a NW, without regard for balance.

I would assume that most likely any tiles on top of Petra desert are calculated the same way, but only Spain's UA makes it matter.

By extension, the faith granted to desert or tundra as a pantheon bonus should not double either.

Top Bottom