New UUs and UBs ?

SkippyT

Who?
What units do you suspect will be the UUs and UBs for the new civs Babylonia, Holland and Portugal?

Holland:
UU - Swiss mercenary. Replaces pikeman. Starts with City garrison I and II
UB - ? Something naval

Portugal:
UU - Caravel replacement
UB - ?

Babylonia:
UU - Ashirittu archer
UB - Ekdibu (?) some library

what do you think? :crazyeye:

Portugal:
UU - Caravel replacement

I hope there are not any naval UU's. I don't feel they were balanced well in Civ3, and I just fear they would not be in BtS either.

Also....GoodSamaratin already started a similar thread. Post some ideas there.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=222387

EDIT: After reading the new IGN BtS interview...it looks like your Portugal is getting a Carrack for the UU. Lets hope it fits well into civ4 BtS!

I hope there are not any naval UU's. I don't feel they were balanced well in Civ3, and I just fear they would not be in BtS either.
It`s because human lives on the land not in the water ^^

Holland:
UU - Swiss mercenary. Replaces pikeman. Starts with City garrison I and II
UB - ? Something naval
UB doesn't have to be naval, as long as it is improving trade.

ps. call it the Netherlands (same as calling UK England, there are people who wouldn't be called English.)

I posted my suggestions some time ago, but here they are again with some minor changes :)

UNIQUE UNITS

Portugal = Carrack (replaces Caravel) Str: 4, Move: 4, Cost: ? Cargo Space: 2 (can carry settler, worker, scout, explorer, missionary, spy, or great people) Can explore rival territory w/o triggering war *
Netherlands = Swiss Mercenary (replaces Pikeman) Str: 8, Move: 1, Cost: ?
Babylon = Bowman (replaces Archer) Str: 3, Move: 1, Cost: ? Starts with Cover and Drill I
Sioux = Mounted Warrior (replaces Knight) Str: 12, Move: 2, Cost: ?
Maya = Atlatl - Javelin Thrower (replaces Spearman) Str: 5, Move: 1, Cost: ? Starts with Enslave (*New promotion. Similar to the enslave ability in CivIII)

UNIQUE BUILDINGS

Portugal = “Torre de Belem” (replaces Lighthouse) Free Sentry promotion for naval units built in the city
Netherlands = Delta Works (replaces Drydock) +1 trade route, no OR perhaps Bank with some bonuses
Babylon = Ziggurat (replaces Courthouse) +2 culture
Sioux = Totem Pole (replaces Obelisk). (acts as sort of an extra barracks for archer units) *
Maya = Tzompantli (replaces Obelisk) -25% maintenance OR Barbarians can not enter within city borders OR defense bonus against barbarians. Or perhaps: Ball-Court (replaces colosseum) +2 happiness, increases the war weariness of other civilizations fighting against you

* confirmed. except carrack stats/abilities

Here’s some info about Ball Courts, Delta Works, Ziggurat and Tzompantli

Maya Ball-Court
“Playing ball engaged one in the maintenance of the cosmic order of the universe and the ritual regeneration of life. It was a game of chance, skill, and trickery reflecting life. The team effort engaged individuals in shared behavior and culture, introducing, reinforcing, and reinventing the game of life and peoples’ place in the cosmic order. By Late Classic times, the ball game was ritually associated with the endemic warfare among city-states of the times. The success of military conquest was recreated in a public and ritual ball game, in which high-ranking war captives were defeated and sacrificed. Sometimes they were kept, tortured, and displayed for years before their sacrifice.”

Tzompantli
"It was most commonly erected as a linearly-arranged series of vertical posts connected by a series of horizontal crossbeams. The skulls were pierced or threaded laterally along these horizontal stakes. An alternate arrangement, more common in the Maya regions, was for the skulls to be impaled on top of one another along the vertical posts."

Delta Works
"The Delta project is one of the largest construction efforts in human history and is considered by the American Society of Civil Engineers as one of the seven wonders of the modern world."

Ziggurat
"The Mesopotamian ziggurats were not places for public worship or ceremonies. They were believed to be dwelling places for the gods. Through the ziggurat the gods could be close to mankind and each city had its own patron god. Only priests were permitted on the ziggurat or in the rooms at its base and it was their responsibility to care for the gods and attend to their needs. As a result the priests were very powerful members of Sumerian society."

Top Bottom