Blue Marble V4.0 Gold

@ColdFever
I'm trying to add Blue Marble as an optional add on for the Legends of Revolution mod. To do this, I need to know what's in Blue Marble, and it's file structure. I tried moving everything out of my Civ4 folder, and just moving the .exes back into their respective blank folders, but Blue Marble says it can't find the Civ4 installation. It prompts me to find the .exe, which I do, but then shuts down because it can't find an installation. What exactly is it looking for here? Also, Would you be willing to release a zip file for other modders?

i do believe i am stuck on stupid here :crazyeye: cause i just read the whole forum here and i think in between the surgeons and their wise scalpel thoughts i need a general medical question:

what exactly will BM do? i see the wonderful changes and understand this but i am more worried about the game system and directories themselves...

will it for example mean that if i install BM and my playing partners do not that we will have incompatible versions? it looks like it globally changes all things CIV4 yet... is this only a local issue?

also we are getting into the Rise of Mankind mod and i wonder what disruptions BM will have on a variety of mods...

i would love to install BM but i hesitate not exactly sure of what effect it will have... :confused:

can one of your wise doctors give me an understanding of what this surgery will do?

I need to know what's in Blue Marble, and it's file structure.
The Blue Marble installer shows all files that will be modified if you click on "List Affected Files". I suggest not to bundle it with any mod, because then updating BM could become problematic. Please do not enforce people to use BM, because it is just a graphics replacement and many people prefer the original graphics. You can find BM zip files in the Macintosh section of this site - but as BM has to change a lot on different places only the minimum terrain files that are easy to modifiy in one place are included with the zip versions:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=177454

what exactly will BM do? i am more worried about the game system and directories themselves... will it for example mean that if i install BM and my playing partners do not that we will have incompatible versions?
Blue Marble is just a graphics replacement. About the modified files please see my answer above. BlueMarble is designed to be compatible with all Civ4 multiplayer games, so it doesn't matter if players are using BM or not. The only two exceptions from this rule are the official BtS mods "NextWar" and "Final Frontier", because here the original content had to be modified because of limitations of Civ4's mod engine. So before playing these two mods in multiplayer you should use the comfortable BlueMarble installer to temporarily uninstall BlueMarble.

I just installed this today and quite like the new land graphics, but i prefer the old lighter coloured ocean, is there any way to get that back after i installed bluemarble? can i copy a file before i install BM and then simply paste it back after install, and if it is that simply which file? thansk in advance

Hey sorry, if i ask here. I am playing the Mod FFH, With the latest update, they deleted the option to use BM instead of their own terrain, which comes with the mod. Unfortunately its very ugly and i dont like it. I asked how to reactivate BM, but they did not wanna help me (dont wanna distribute BM^^), just said, it is easy to copy the files themselves. But i cannot figure out which files. I just need the Terrain Files,not the Leaderheads. I copied them (at least i think so) to the Mod folder and created an option in the XML files, but it still doesnt work.
Maybe here someone can tell me, which files exactly i have to copy and what else i have to do.
Thx for answers, i just love BM, u did a great job!!

@schlalex: The BM installer shows all modified files when you click on "List Affected Files". The files you look for have the path ...Art\Terrain\Textures\... Copy them just over to the same path of the mod folder. Alternatively (easier) you also should be able to adjust the mod behavior to allow CustomArt if available. For this look for the ini.file of the mod (in its root folder) and change the "NoCustomArt" setting to this:

NoCustomArt = 0

I play BTS with the last BAT.
What should I do to give Blue Marble a try?

I installed BAT as a mod, if it's relevant.

Thx

I've installed Blue Marble, but when playing MOO2Civ on screen terrains are being renamed, like
Radiation cloud => Fallout
Nebula => Ice
Black hole => Oasis.
The funny thing is the Civpedia gives the correct explanation. I've been trying to rename tags in the Terrain.xml, but no show. Any hints?

Sorry Valynor und Jeelen, I do not know the mods you play, so cannot tell exactly if these are compatible. The BM terrain is made and installed as "CustomAssets (CustomArt)" in the user data area, so it should be compatible with all mods that do not disable CustomAssets (like "FFH" does) or use other terrain sets (like "Afterword" does). One exception from this is the BM space art for "Final Frontier" that I had to install in the original BtS program directory because of limitations of the Civ4 mod engine. In cases where mod creators explicitly disable regular CustomAssets the ones from BM (and others) are not used. In these cases you can copy/rename the BM assets manually into your mod folder, like I explained above for FFH (the BM installer shows path and filename of all modified files when you click on "List Affected Files").

Sorry for what might be a silly question, but. Will Blue Marble work well with the "Civ 4 Complete Edition" version?
Sorry, I cannot test this because the American "Civ 4 Complete Edition" is not available in Germany. The European "Complete" edition has no Civ4Col, for this in Europe we have a "Civ 4 Ultimate" edition. I made sure BM works with the European "Complete/Ultimate" versions, but I cannot tell if the American" Complete" version will do. Feedback from an American "Complete" customer would be appreciated.

What is the best mod: Blue marble or imroved graphics? Is someone can tell me the bad/good point of each of them?

Sorry, I cannot test this because the American "Civ 4 Complete Edition" is not available in Germany. The European "Complete" edition has no Civ4Col, for this in Europe we have a "Civ 4 Ultimate" edition. I made sure BM works with the European "Complete/Ultimate" versions, but I cannot tell if the American" Complete" version will do. Feedback from an American "Complete" customer would be appreciated.

I have the American version of Complete.

I cleared the "my Games" folder. Installed Blue Marble. Copied the art folder. Played each of the games to get the folders to come back. And then copied the before mention art folder back into each games customassets folder.

A bit tedious but I couldn't get anything else to work.

What is the best mod: Blue marble or imroved graphics? Is someone can tell me the bad/good point of each of them?
Basically, both are updating the terrain graphics - it's a matter of taste - which ones looks prettier to you?

Though BlueMarble also updates FinalFrontier textures - though you could also install BM first (to get the FF textures) and then the improved graphics for the main game.

Cheers, LT.

nvm, figured it out, thanks anyways for the great mod :)

For those of us who are color blind, the mod looks great. Just installed it over 3.19 and BUG and find it much easier to read the map and captions. The bad news is that I could see almost nothing on the foreign advisor screen. Reinstalled with the backgrounds unchecked and it looks much better. BTW, if a computer challenged person like myself can get it to run on the first try, you've done a nice job indeed.

Top Bottom