Tradition's 4 cities opening

I tried to get a deity victory by cheesing multiple times. It never worked. Then I tried this strategy and actually managed to win a straight up science victory. The AI would have crushed my military but did not seem to be in the mood. Great Guide!

Because Liberty had take so much place before GnK. And after some testings, it was obvious that the Tradition tree was the perfect fit for peaceful and science focused games, though the original idea was to build the most productive cities. So it was time for Tradition to regain some noble stories :)

Liberty was always be the #1 tree for any kind of victories, even when Landed Elite was op before they changed it(some months after release of vanilla). Liberty's biggest advantages was the free settler from your 2nd policy and free gp who doesnt delay your 2nd gp. It was incredibly strong.

Liberty is stronger for dom. victories because you can keep your early gold to rush buy and upgrade units instead of settlers/workers. Just make sure to keep the train rolling through eras.
Hey Tabarnak, et al
Just got the game recently and only have vanilla. Wondering if you can describe the Social Policy order you would take (and any other changes to the strat) in current-day vanilla. I'm not locked into which Civ to play, but currently trying Amurka for the first time, and it's been suggested to go full Honor with them. I don't really see that strat working with this one here, which would be more Liberty I'd guess. Also wondering if simply opening Tradition is the best all-around start, mainly due to the tile-spread, since my subsequent settlements are usually placed to cøckblock other Civs.

Hey Tabarnak, et al
Just got the game recently and only have vanilla. Wondering if you can describe the Social Policy order you would take (and any other changes to the strat) in current-day vanilla. I'm not locked into which Civ to play, but currently trying Amurka for the first time, and it's been suggested to go full Honor with them. I don't really see that strat working with this one here, which would be more Liberty I'd guess. Also wondering if simply opening Tradition is the best all-around start, mainly due to the tile-spread, since my subsequent settlements are usually placed to cøckblock other Civs.

Liberty is still the way to go in vanilla. By a large margin. But if you wanna stick with Trads for some games, then you should maybe start with the NC before settling more cities.

Liberty is still the way to go in vanilla. By a large margin. But if you wanna stick with Trads for some games, then you should maybe start with the NC before settling more cities.
Gotcha. So get the NC before dropping the 2nd city if you go into Trad? I've also read about using Legalism to get 4 temples after building libraries in all 4, but that seems like a mid-game goal almost.

Anyway, how else would you tweak your strat for vanilla (w/o traders, shrines, compound bowmen, etc..)?

Gotcha. So get the NC before dropping the 2nd city if you go into Trad? I've also read about using Legalism to get 4 temples after building libraries in all 4, but that seems like a mid-game goal almost.

Anyway, how else would you tweak your strat for vanilla (w/o traders, shrines, compound bowmen, etc..)?

Legalism is pretty good to catch free amphitheaters where they provide +3 cpt but you better open free settler form Liberty before going into Tradition and work as same as a REX opening. Pretty nice opening with Siam and Egypt.

In other words :

Liberty--->free settler--->more settlers--->Tradition--->Legalism(free amphis).

Temples in vanilla, yeah?

Thanks for the tips Tab. :)

Yeah...been a while i played vanilla :)

Forgot to say that about Siam, you need to build monuments and temples if you want to get instant wats from legalism. Then maybe you should go further into Liberty before moving to Tradition since that Education is deeper into the tech tree.

I am new to this forum but have being playing Civ5 for a while. I just wanted to say thank you to Tabarnak for this excellent guide. I had never considered the tall approach using the tradition tree but after watching your video and trying it for myself it works really well and has taught me about how to manage citizens which I did not know about before. I am now able to win a culture victory on Immortal whereas I the best I managed for culture before was King.

Top Bottom