Team Free Embassy

ok! Sending now!

Another good team job!

:salute:

I propose sending this update to FREE:
Dear FREE brothers,

A lot has happened in the past 24 hours, and we want to bring you up to date.

Team Saber was relentless in trying to get us to agree to some kind of deal – we tried to stall, but they just decided to hold up the save until we would give them an answer!

We didn't want to say "no" and blow a potentially really good deal for our alliance, but we didn't want to say "yes" either, since we haven't heard back from you.

Rest assured, we have kept our contact and pending treaty/tech alliance with you a secret, and declined their push for trades involving Currency and potentially Philosophy or Code of Laws.
We did, however, indicate to them that we'd be interested in pursuing a potential deal for Ceremonial Burial and the Wheel, per our last letter to you. (although, Saber may not actually be willing to give us some gold as we had previously thought. It would have been a tiny amount [<20 gold] anyway. We'll see!)

Hopefully this ok. We, of course, won't be signing any deals until we hear back from you. We just want to make sure that everything is out in the open, and that you're not in the dark.

Please respond soon with how you'd like us to proceed. (assuming of course that you're still planning on signing our treaty!)

All the best,
General_W, speaking with the voice of The Council.

Thoughts on that?

SABER was going to give us gold, not FREE.

You're doing great work as Ambassador At Large, General!

:blush: good catch! (now fixed)

And thank you... I didn't intend to be very active here until after Epsilon won the Civ4 MTDG ;) &#8230; but what can I say &#8211; this is a great team, and I've been sucked in! :lol:

just checking in for a moment.

You guys are doing great. I think our diplomacy is going very, very well and is being handled very capably.

I'll spend some time later this week going through everything to come up to speed an hopefully contribute more than just going "rah! rah!" But until then...

RAH! RAH!!

Good letter. Frank and clear about our intentions. We could even prepare them that gold is now out of the deal entirely.

It seems it is now the turn of team FREE to hold the save for a while :lol:...

Btw, in another thread on another part of the forum FREE ambassador CommandoBob said he was very busy doing some housepainting and such. So we should probably send our letters also to their team account, or maybe to Kuningas.

Ok &#8211; not a lot of feedback on this yet&#8230;
(thanks zyxy and Donsig)

So fair warning &#8211; I'll send this in a little less than 1 hour, unless someone yells stop!

P.S. And thanks for the Cheerleading AT! :D &#8211; always good to see you around here.

EDIT: @zyxy - thanks for the headsup, but I pretty much always send letters to the team account, even if I'm PMing or e-mailing them somewhere else also.

Sounds okay, send it. :goodjob:

(this is really getting time intensive...)

I hope we can get those lower tier techs from SABER to spare some useless research...

Maybe we should ask FREE what they would like us to do if the "low-tech-deal" is not available? I don't think we should give away literature and Philosophy either... Is it worth to risk researching Currency on our own?

Pro (Not doing the deal for Currency):
SABER has got to research lit and Phil and MM on its own, slowing them down twice (at least) as much as we are slowed down.

Contra
This does not slow down the other two unmet rivals so basically we are hindering SABER, FREE and us slightly in relation to the others... This makes me not too excited. :(

We may need to reword this now that SABER has actually sent the techs in-game...

Qutoing part of my post from the Team SABER embassy thread:
...we really need an answer from FREE before the game gets back to us. I think we need to make it clear to them that they need to get off their lazy behinds and do something. So I would send FREE a letter with the following ingredients (nicely phrased of course, but with a sense of urgency):

Concerning the immediate trade with SABER:
1) SABER is moving faster than we expected and has offered the small trade deal (WC+WH for IW+CB) in-game, without our explicit consent, but they could have misunderstood our delay tactics. Next turn we have to accept or decline it.
2) We are inclined to accept and will share the techs freely with FREE, free of charge.
3) We need an answer from FREE concerning this deal before the turn gets back to us. We will not ask for an extension, it will look too suspicious. (Chamnix asked for an extension last turn and has been playing slow for a couple of turns, so everybody will know we've met.) If we don't get an answer, we will decide as we think best.
4) We haven't really committed to anything, but of course SABER will not like a rebuttal. If FREE refuses, but at the same time signs our treaty, then we will go along, but we will be forced to explain to SABER why we refuse. (Read: we want FREE to commit to the treaty before we get into trouble with SABER, and even then we are not going to take the blame alone.)

Concerning the longer run:
5) For the moment we are acting as if the MAAP treaty has been signed and agreed, but of course it has not been signed by FREE. In the meantime, SABER is proposing a more encompassing research deal now. Here too, we have reached a decision point.
6) We want to know FREE's decision on our treaty within X days (X=3 maybe). Otherwise we will have to conclude they are not interested and we feel free to ignore the treaty and do as we please.
7) We also need to know FREE's position on further cooperation with SABER.

ok &#8211; here's a slight re-work of the letter based on zyxy's comments.
1 hour extension before I send this:

Dear FREE brothers,

A lot has happened in the past 24 hours, and we want to bring you up to date.

Team Saber was relentless in trying to get us to agree to some kind of deal &#8211; we tried to stall, but they just decided to hold up the save until we would give them an answer!

We didn't want to say "no" and blow a potentially really good deal for our alliance, but we didn't want to say "yes" either, since we haven't heard back from you.

Rest assured, we have kept our contact and pending treaty/tech alliance with you a secret, and declined their push for trades involving Currency and potentially Philosophy or Code of Laws.
We did, however, indicate to them that we'd be interested in pursuing a potential deal for Ceremonial Burial and the Wheel, per our last letter to you. (although, Saber may not actually be willing to give us some gold as we had previously thought. It would have been a tiny amount [<20 gold] anyway. We'll see!)
Update: while we were drafting this letter to send to you, Saber informed us that they went ahead and put this deal on the table for us to accept. These guys move fast!
We really need an answer from you asap, or we risk damaging a potential source of low-level techs for our alliance.
We're trying to operate as if this deal with you is signed, even though we haven't heard back from you, but if we still don't have word by the time the save comes around, we may go ahead and just accept this trade, and hope that it was ok with you.

We're not trying to be pushy! But Saber is really moving aggressively, and we feel like we need to respond. We hope our transparency on all of this is a sign to you that we really are trying to act in good-faith with the deal we're hoping to finalize with you.

Please respond soon with how you'd like us to proceed. (assuming of course that you're still planning on signing our treaty!)

All the best,
General_W, speaking with the voice of The Council.

Look good?

EDIT: Sent 4/24/07 to FREE gmail and to CommandoBob gmail and to Kuningas via PM - title "Response Needed!"

Very good and well worded! One of the most "feathery" phrased ultimata in the course of history, no doubt! I agree that sending this quickly is essential, because FREE has the save now and will hopefully get this letter before they pass it on.

Personally I would include a paragraph on the longer term as well, but perhaps we can do that in a next letter. We cannot stall talks with SABER for more than a few days or they will start to distrust us. And I don't want to be in the position where we turn a cold or luke-warm cheek to SABER before a firm commitment by FREE on the MAAP treaty.

I must say I find it rather strange that under the circumstances we are the ones pushing for the treaty. It seems to me that FREE should be very eager to sign, fearing we'll play middle man otherwise...

I'm guessing that AutomatedTeller has it right (low participation) &#8211; FREE really ought to be even more eager to sign this deal now that we potentially have other diplomatic options.

I agree with you zyxy, that we need to address the long-term&#8230; but this letter is already quite a bit to digest for a team that's slow in responding. Best leave everything that's not immediate for another letter.

And with that, I'm sending this off now!
:salute:

EDIT: Sent 4/24/07 to FREE gmail and to CommandoBob gmail and to Kuningas via PM - title "Response Needed!"

FREE may have just met someone else too...

I don't think so. It is one possible explanation as to why they are not jumping the opportunity presented to them. But I would not believe it to be so.

I don't think so. It is one possible explanation as to why they are not jumping the opportunity presented to them. But I would not believe it to be so.

Sorry, I thought you were hinting at something.

It certainly seems reasonable to tell Free "we thought this was a deal that helps both us and you, so we went for it. Here is Warrior Code. "

Top Bottom