Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Atari

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • A shoebox

Votes: 16 6.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are a serious gamer (i am not being sarcastic - am giving you the benefit of the doubt), I have one honest question for you,

A game comes out that you like for both the Wii and 360, which one do you buy it for?

Regarding the games per console sales, you think this will change, even as more titles come out for Wii? What are your honest opinions. We know what has happened, but lets talk what you think will happen.

wow...I won't even bother trying to quote all your silly generalizations, WankIT.

I think I'm about as hardcore a gamer as you can get...and I own a Wii, 360, DS, and PC(and if you want to get into older systems, I have a PS2, PS1, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GB, GBA, Sega Genesis, Sega Game Gear, and almost bought a Dreamcast just for Skies of Arcadia until it was released on the Gamecube)...I think that for pure gaming, I'd pick the Wii to buy CivRev for(if it were coming out at the same time still). However, I likely would have gotten it for the 360 simply because I'm addicted to achievement points.

But to say that,
1) Anyone that would pick it for the Wii over the 360/PS3 is stupid and not a serious gamer
2) The Wii is not a system for serious gamers
3) Serious gamers are only serious gamers if they like a) shooters, b) sports games, and c)fighters
is to be extremely obtuse and ridiculous.

My responses are as follows:
1) The Wii is closer to the PC in terms of control scheme, and the PC is generally felt to have the best control scheme of any gaming system
2) If it isn't for serious gamers, then what do you call Metroid Prime 3(shooter, 90 metacritic rating), Resident Evil 4(shooter, 91 metacritic), Zack & Wiki(adventure, 87 metacritic, and best adventure GotY), Fire Emblem(strategy, 77 metacritic), Madden(sports, 81 and 76 metacritic, 07 called sports GotY over 360 and PS3 versions) Legend of Zelda(action/adventure, 95 metacritic), Mario Galaxy(adventure, 97 metacritic), Super Smash Brothers(fighting, 98 metacritic), No More Heroes(mature, bloody fighting/action, 84 metacritic), Guitar Hero 3(85 metacritic)? If those aren't for serious gamers, what is?
3) So strategy gamers aren't serious gamers? adventure game lovers aren't serious? And even if shooters/sports/fighting are the only genres that matter for serious gamers...what do you say to Metroid Prime 3, considered to have the best control scheme of any console shooter ever? or Madden 07 winning Game of the Year for the Wii, beating out the 360 and PS3 versions? or Resident Evil 4, selling over 1M copies on the Wii, over 18 months after its original release, and not available on the 360 or PS3? or the fact that Madden, NCAA, Tiger Woods, FIFA, MLB, and NBA are all coming to the Wii after ignoring the Gamecube for the last 2-3 years? or Super Smash Brothers, possibly the best fighting game ever(certainly the highest reviewed thus far)?

I find it highly ignorant, cocky, and ridiculous to claim what you have, especially since the consensus in the US appears to be that the Wii is just as serious a gaming machine as the 360(considering it has outsold the 360 every single month since its release, and is currently entirely sold out for its record breaking 64rd week in a row).

Yes, more games have been bought per system sold for the 360 than the Wii since launch, but that's for a few reasons...1) the 360 has more games and many good games at reduced prices due to being out longer, and 2) the Wii comes bundled with a game, while the 360 only did during the holidays.

If I recall, the 360 currently has an average of 7 games per system, while the Wii is at around 3(4 if you count Wii Sports)...I beat out both those averages, with around 15 games on the 360 and 6 on the Wii. But considering the 360 has more than 2x more games out than the Wii does, and has been out twice as long, if it were truly a more 'serious' gaming machine, it should have more than just a 7:3 ratio of sold games compared to the Wii.

First of all, seeing how you can read and recall so well, I never said picking the WII over the 360/PS3 was stupid. I've maintained, and this is my third time for those that cannot READ properly is that based upon this poll, I lashed out at those who wanted to play CivR on the WII over the 360/PS3. I've always maintained the WII has its place (I have one).

This is the last time I will restate what I've being saying, so you should calm down and actually read first before you spew.

Cmon, how old are you. IF you want to go tit for tat, my gaming has gone way before yours, to include my first machine, C64, then to the amiga before getting my PC, and my parents at the time were kind enough to get us the atari, and colecovision.

You bring up the control scheme. Yes, its very impressive, but it really is limited. When you play a lot of those games you mention, do you really use it, do you a throwing motion when you throw a touchdown in madden? No, you have to use it as a regular controller, and which of the 3 controllers would you rather use.

If your a serious PC gamer, do you buy a computer with an integrated graphics chip with shared memory or do you buy one with a Radeon, or etc.? Now this is a similar idea. Fine, you can be like me and buy a Wii for your wife, and/or to have a decent game of bowling or tennis, but when you want to play for hours on end, what do you go with?

A game comes out that you like for both the Wii and 360, which one do you buy it for?

An honest answer would be that it depends on the style of game and how it uses the motion control or the Wii.

I will put it this way if I had a choice between Metroid 3 on the Wii or 360 I would pick the Wii hands down. The way it captured the motion control is amazing and it is a great game.

With that said I was a little disappointed with some of the sports games, but if Pro Evolution Soccer is anything like the previews suggest it will have set the benchmark for other sports games to reach.

I could see Civ:Rev for the Wii have some great aspects that the 360 could do.

If you are a serious gamer (i am not being sarcastic - am giving you the benefit of the doubt), I have one honest question for you,

As Morpheus has already pointed out it depends on the game. For party games like Wii sport Wii is the winner. As for shooters while Metroid is nice for a change I still prefer a mouse on PC or relaxing on my couch without having to aim my controler at a bar on my TV. I really enjoyed CoD4 on my PS3 (normally I play FPS on PC) with DD5.1 surround sound even with the ps3 controller.

Now for Revolution Ps3/360 to me is the clear winner:
1) higher resolution mean you get a wider and better view as well as more information on the screen at once. (don't know if this game has split screen yet HDTV split screen has the resolution of at least 2 SD TV)
2) I found wi-fi isn't that good for online gaming so another plus for PS3/360.
3) The wii controller can act as a mouse substitute which some would see as a plus. But do I really want to keep aiming at that bar above my TV for a 3 to 5 hours for a TBS game?
4) Ps3/360 graphics will probably look better.

The only reason I can see anyone wanting this game on the Wii is that the only system they have. Of course in that case ,this reason alone beats all the others as I doubt Revolution itself will be a system seller.

Regarding the games per console sales, you think this will change, even as more titles come out for Wii? What are your honest opinions. We know what has happened, but lets talk what you think will happen.

It depends. If I think it will benefit from the motion controls, I'll give it a go on the Wii(assuming it is given a good production job). An example are Star Wars games...I'll gladly get them on the Wii instead if LucasArts makes it well, because using the Wiimote as a lightsaber is every sci-fi geek's dream! Madden? definitely the Wii. Major League Baseball 2k8? if they did a good job on the Wii version, then Wii it is. CivRev? If it were coming out on both, I'd really want to get it for the Wii, but I don't know for sure I would because it sounds like only the 360 version will have GotW.

First of all, seeing how you can read and recall so well, I never said picking the WII over the 360/PS3 was stupid. I've maintained, and this is my third time for those that cannot READ properly is that based upon this poll, I lashed out at those who wanted to play CivR on the WII over the 360/PS3. I've always maintained the WII has its place (I have one).

This is the last time I will restate what I've being saying, so you should calm down and actually read first before you spew.

I remember what you said, and I was rebutting your point that the Wii is not for serious gamers, and that it was not worth getting CivRev for it.

Cmon, how old are you. IF you want to go tit for tat, my gaming has gone way before yours, to include my first machine, C64, then to the amiga before getting my PC, and my parents at the time were kind enough to get us the atari, and colecovision.

You bring up the control scheme. Yes, its very impressive, but it really is limited. When you play a lot of those games you mention, do you really use it, do you a throwing motion when you throw a touchdown in madden? No, you have to use it as a regular controller, and which of the 3 controllers would you rather use.

Ah, I had an atari once....gave it away to get an NES instead...never had a C64 or Amiga though.

actually, the first time I've enjoyed a football game since Tecmo Super Bowl 3 in 1993 was when I played Madden on the Wii. I love the motion controls on it.

If your a serious PC gamer, do you buy a computer with an integrated graphics chip with shared memory or do you buy one with a Radeon, or etc.? Now this is a similar idea. Fine, you can be like me and buy a Wii for your wife, and/or to have a decent game of bowling or tennis, but when you want to play for hours on end, what do you go with?

Obviously, I'd get a NVidia card(Radeon is nowhere near as good yet costs more), but that's actually a quite different idea. For PCs, you can't play a game at all if you don't have a good enough graphics card. A console can play any game made for it...the argument is whether better graphics= better game. And that answer to that is not always. Many of the best games ever have not had great graphics, and are still great even today(Starcraft, Chrono Trigger, WoW, Civilization, and many more).

I actually bought the Wii for myself, as I did for my 360. My wife plays a few Wii games(Wii Sports and Rayman mainly), along with a few 360 games, but does most of her gaming on the PC. As for what system I go to if I want to game for a few hours? For me it depends on what game I want to play. I've spent hours playing Legend of Zelda...I've spent hours playing Mario Galaxy, and I'm going to spend hours playing Smash Brothers, starting Saturday night.

It depends. If I think it will benefit from the motion controls, I'll give it a go on the Wii(assuming it is given a good production job). An example are Star Wars games...I'll gladly get them on the Wii instead if LucasArts makes it well, because using the Wiimote as a lightsaber is every sci-fi geek's dream! Madden? definitely the Wii. Major League Baseball 2k8? if they did a good job on the Wii version, then Wii it is. CivRev? If it were coming out on both, I'd really want to get it for the Wii, but I don't know for sure I would because it sounds like only the 360 version will have GotW.

Ah ha. My first thoughts when the Wii came out was that the motion control was going to be more utilized. However, I will conceded that for the first generation for Nintendo for their control system is very good. And I will probably feel different when the next generation comes out with Wii2.

I remember what you said, and I was rebutting your point that the Wii is not for serious gamers, and that it was not worth getting CivRev for it.

I didn't say it wasn't worth getting CivR for it. I stated that if you already have a Wii and nothing else, then the answer is obvious. But, all things being equal, that I did lash out at those picking Wii.

For PCs, you can't play a game at all if you don't have a good enough graphics card. A console can play any game made for it...the argument is whether better graphics= better game. .

With a console, game development is physically limited to its hardware capabilities, which if you look at the specs comparison, it is really no comparison. But the big question is if game developers can make full use of a consoles' capabilities.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xbox360_ps3_wii.asp

With a console, game development is physically limited to its hardware capabilities, which if you look at the specs comparison, it is really no comparison. But the big question is if game developers can make full use of a consoles' capabilities.

I hate to sounds like an ass, but it isn't always about the game maximizing the capabilities of the console. The reason why I don't like the PS3 or the 360 is b/c they require an HDTV in order to get better graphics than any other console on the market. A very close friend of mine purchased the 360 when it first game out and was extremely disappointed when he hooked it up to his older TV and the graphics looked worse than his original Xbox. However the Wii looks very good on a standard TV and looks even better on an HDTV.

I think it is like having a top of the line graphics card in your computer, but an old analog CRT monitor. The consoles are pushing the envelope faster than the TV market can handle. And, IMHO, it is hurting the sales of 360s and PS3s.

A very close friend of mine purchased the 360 when it first game out and was extremely disappointed when he hooked it up to his older TV and the graphics looked worse than his original Xbox. However the Wii looks very good on a standard TV and looks even better on an HDTV.
This sound like you getting a little carried away here. Downscaling works better in gaming than upscaling (except when it comes to text) unless you love those jagged edges. HDTV fixed pixels as well as it's sharpness in some ways makes a 480p image look worst than on a SD TV. A smaller HDTV does help makes flaws less noticeable though. A
So while Wii looks ok running on a 42" HDTV I can tell the image is upscaled especially with it comes to jagged edges as they are a lot more noticeable than on a SD TV.
There is nothing to keep any 480p image from looking dated especially to a PC gamer.

I've only seen both (Wii & 360) on an HDTV, and both look good. I know of a person that does use his 360 on a 480P TV, but I've never seen it. Then again, HDTVs have come down in price a lot.

This sound like you getting a little carried away here. Downscaling works better in gaming than upscaling (except when it comes to text) unless you love those jagged edges. HDTV fixed pixels as well as it's sharpness in some ways makes a 480p image look worst than on a SD TV. A smaller HDTV does help makes flaws less noticeable though. A
So while Wii looks ok running on a 42" HDTV I can tell the image is upscaled especially with it comes to jagged edges as they are a lot more noticeable than on a SD TV.
There is nothing to keep any 480p image from looking dated especially to a PC gamer.

actually, if you look at any of the reviews for pretty much every single 360 launch game, they repeatedly said that the games that were available on both the XBox and 360 looked better on the XBox if it was an SD TV.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xbox360_ps3_wii.asp

I don't believe for a second that the hardware capabilities of a console define how good a game will be. By that logic, Chrono Trigger is innately a worse game than any 360/PS3 game(even crap like Monster Madness or Bomberman: Act Zero) just because the hardware capabilities of the SNES are so much lower than that of a 360.

The hardware capabilities of a console define the limits for a game, and it is then up to the games themselves to stretch or reach for those limits. Hitting those limits doesn't mean the game will be great though. Lair got close to the PS3s current graphics 'limit', but it was a piece of junk...because it wasn't fun. Fun is the defining aspect of any game...and while graphics can definitely help(or hurt), they are only one aspect of whether a game is good or not.

As for the person that made that list...I have trouble believing that the numbers he came up with for the Wii's RAM and CPU speed are accurate because Nintendo has never mentioned anywhere what it is, because I have issues believing that the amount of RAM he claims the Wii has could even generate 2D graphics, much less 3D, and because he erroneously claims the PS3 will support 7 controllers, when it has been known for 2 years that it will only support 4.

Such an obvious oversight casts doubt(IMO) on any figures he comes up with that have not been publicly announced.

As for the person that made that list...I have trouble believing that the numbers he came up with for the Wii's RAM and CPU speed are accurate because Nintendo has never mentioned anywhere what it is, because I have issues believing that the amount of RAM he claims the Wii has could even generate 2D graphics, much less 3D, and because he erroneously claims the PS3 will support 7 controllers, when it has been known for 2 years that it will only support 4.

Such an obvious oversight casts doubt(IMO) on any figures he comes up with that have not been publicly announced.
I've read the ram is known because in stamped on the chip set so that seems solid. Some of the other specs is questionable yet they probably nothing to brag about which is why Nintendo is so quiet over them. For Nintendo to give out the wii's specs would only help advertise for the PS3/360. It really doesn't matter as we already starting to see huge leaps with PS3/360 in graphics and sound quality over the wii. This will only increase with time. Still the wii does have a little more ram than the X-box (64 ram total) which clearly could do games in 3-D.

Also you are the first I've seen to claim PS3 doesn't support 7 controllers. While I doubt many have 7 controllers anyways I have seen a few games that claim to support up to 7 controllers. I do know for a fact I can set my controller number from 1 up to 7 so I don't see why PS3 can't support 7.

hm, I'm surprised by that because Sony originally claimed it would support 7, then backed off of that statement publicly, at the same time that they announced it would only have 1 HDMI port, not 2.

I would have thought they'd announce it was 7 again if they had decided to go with 7 controllers...oh well, Sony is not known for smooth PR the last couple years:rolleyes:

edit: I think I'll retract my previous statement of doubt too, I was at Barnes&Noble last night and found a book that was written entirely about the Wii and it had the same info exactly for the CPU speed and RAM...

I'm surprised such a low amount of RAM can produce 3D graphics so smoothly...I'm also surprised it can run the same engine that powered Halo, Civ4, Final Fantasy XIII, and I've heared Unreal Engine 3 may be getting customized for the Wii as well.

I don't believe for a second that the hardware capabilities of a console define how good a game will be. .

Hey, I don't disagree. I agree that its 'the limit' as you stated. I believe though that 360/PS3 games will get better as developers have more time. Remember, most of us complained when we first got our xbox 360s that the graphics were hardly 'next generation' which is what they were advertising. The games coming out are getting much better in general.

But regardless, its already well known that PS3 has the most advanced hardware, followed by the 360, and then the Wii a distant third. I heard something like deveopers would not be able to make full use of the P3s capabailities for a long time.

wow.......that's harsh........and I bit cocky:mischief:

The Computer! :D

hehehehe.......but at what the graphics look like now.....my computer won't be able to handle it.....:badcomp:

hehehehe.......but at what the graphics look like now.....my computer won't be able to handle it.....:badcomp:
Wait a couple of years. It seems that Console games and Governments tend to get the best hardware :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom