R.E.D. World War II development thread

Hi!

The Allies began deploying a lot of new technology in 1943, such as better sonar, centimetric radar, "hedgehog" mortars, etc., that forced Germany to temporarily withdraw its submarines from action, so another way to give submarines a better chance could be to start destroyers with no advantage against submarines, but allow players to research "Improved antisubmarine warfare (ASW) technology" later in the war. so that any destroyer that entered port after it was developed would receive an "improved ASW" attribute which would give the current ASW bonus.

Just a thought....

Yes, it was what i was reading too and thought it would be kind of like you are suggesting if they have a promotion that they are weaker. Also i think they are over mobile, it looks like big battleships had a top speed of 28-30 knots while destroyers 35-38 knots... the difference in game is 4 versus 8 moves. But of course subs are more mobile too than in reality in compared to battleships.
Played with that promo on destroyers and cruisers... cruisers gets underpowered and too vulnerable to sub attacks, looks like it's better to just do something with destroyers

one thing would be to do upgrades like on land units and define different destroyer classes but that's lots of work again, not with defining those units but graphics and all that

but let's wait and see if ignore ZOC can be implemented again, it would make a difference

I got time again to play this so was wondering if you got any recomendations for a GUI Client (using win7x64 if that matters) as you mentioned in the original post, since I have no clue about either :p

i play on mac and i can't get past the first turn!!!! It says choose production in some cites but nothing is available to produce :(

First time posting here. Joined just to mention some issues with the mod.

I like the mod and appreciate all your efforts in developing it. I hope to play it with improvements.

I typically opt for a "historical events" scenario when play any WWII game. That's because it is doubtful that WWII would have occurred in 1939, or lasted until 1945, without a specific set of events that allowed German and Japanese successes at the start of the conflict. Were it not for the appeasement policies of the UK under Chamberlain and France under Clemenceau, AND their hesitancy during the "Phoney War" from 09/03/39 - 05/10/40, Hitler would not have been able to build up his forces, or commit them all to the invasions of Poland, Denmark, and Norway before invading France through the Low Countries.

The following is a list of the problems I have with the Mod, because the "Historical Events" option does not reflect the events that allowed the Axis Powers their early successes. The A.I. nations don't follow the proper course of events.

1. No "Phoney War": A.I. France and Britain almost immediately invade Germany in 1939 after they declare war. Problems?

* The German A.I. will get invaded while it is committed to Poland making a weird war, or

* I have to play Germany and commit forces to hold off the allied invasion but preventing me from completing a proper Blitzkrieg in Poland.

* Germany is already in a ground combat war with the Allies well before the "Historical Start" of conflicts with Denmark, Norway, and the Low Countries.

2. A.I. attack/retreat into "neutral territory."

* Open borders in the Mod to allow trade routes with neutral nations ALSO allows A.I. Allied forces to invade from and retreat into Switzerland and Italy. NOTE: Player Axis forces can't do this without declaring war on the neutral nation.

* This means even MORE German troops need to be kept on these border access lanes and cannot be used in the Blitzkrieg of Poland.

3. A.I. China is too strong in the Far East.

* A.I. Japan never makes any successful advances into China before declaring war on the U.S. in 1941. Typically Japan attacks Shanghai a few times with heavy losses, and maybe another coastal city, both without success.

* A.I. China attacks Japan in Manchuria with great success.

* Japan has almost no advances in the Far East at all. (I honestly don't know about Indochina because the game crashes every time I take Paris.)

I suggest the mod be corrected so the A.I. follows to "Historical Events." First that ALL A.I. nations must limit action to historical dates. That means:

1. No allied invasion of the Rhine or elsewhere before the date Germany invaded France;

2. No A.I. Allied non-historical major force buildups or technological developments prior to when they actually occurred; and

3. A.I. Japan gets automatic territorial gains in Asia, and military increases until 12/07/41, when they "bomb" Pearl Harbor.

As a tip, you should try playing through the Stalingrad scenario one on both sides, to learn how the reinforcement systems work and to get a feel for the limitations of the AI and why it does certain things. Second, you should try playing anyone on the vanilla 1939-1945 europe map. Germany would be my recommendation - you start with more than ample units to blitz to warsaw and simultaneously hold off french forces.

In terms of 'historicity" - there are limits to coding. I can tell you from numerous playthroughs, however, that it is much more economical in terms of time and resources to wait for the war with Belgium and blitz through with armor than to slog from Strausbourg through Metz and Rheims all the way to Paris.

In this respect, the spirit of the historical process holds. I don't think it holds quite the same for the world maps, because europe isn't as big, relatively, and there is less space to manuever.

small thing: are the Italian Blackshirt units meant to have identical stats to basic infantry?

i thought they would be an Italian analog to the waffen-ss, somewhat more expensive but also higher strength and some kind of combat bonus difference. I only just noticed because i got bored of the other ones and thought i'd play an alt history as italy and try to recreate the roman empire borders

Will there be another steam update and if so when is it scheduled for release?

I have been eagerly awaiting the update as well. Not certain if anyone is currently working on it. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Great Mod guys! I have always wondered, in the North America/Europe 1936 map, why can't you get the mobile AA gun, mechanized infantry, and the other ground units that are in the rest of the senarios?

is there some shadowy hidden development community beyond those who seem active here? i'd be curious to talk to anyone who is still working on stuff. I have a feature which i am almost done testing that should be considered for inclusion in the next release of the mod, after balancing considerations.

is there some shadowy hidden development community beyond those who seem active here? i'd be curious to talk to anyone who is still working on stuff. I have a feature which i am almost done testing that should be considered for inclusion in the next release of the mod, after balancing considerations.

I will be glad to test, is it with the oil resources mod or the old one? By the way, I am not shadow developing... I have been coding for some soft before but its so far away that I am all rusty!

I will be glad to test, is it with the oil resources mod or the old one? By the way, I am not shadow developing... I have been coding for some soft before but its so far away that I am all rusty!

its with the earlier version, and its for 1939. it's mainly the incorporation of more economic incentives, and i've begun to tinker with the resting defaults of AI sentiments. Setting German covetting of west russian and norwegian cities, russian coveting of south european and iranian cities, italian covetting of middle east cities. All to incentivize better and more aggressive AI play.

Where is this oil mod version? I have tortoise svn set up for another game that i work on development with. What client does everyone here use. GIT?

A seperate question - where could i edit the defense per population of a given city? Population seems to add a few defense point each in a given city, and i want to turn this up. I've moved away from increasing total population of cities everywhere, and am trying to make better economic features and more balanced economies that 'peak' at the ideal times.

The France issue is one of the big difficulties of a WW2 europe scenario, as any realistic 1939 setup has France about to get squished, but taking away the human player's stuff seems kinda mean. I like that you're planning on putting in the split when france is AI controlled. IMHO making france not surrender in a Mod where you've got all the other alliances and DoWs scripted in, seems kinda like fudging it. If germany has to slog all the way through france it's gonna delay the battle of britain and possibly not give them time to set up for barbarossa in '41. I'd say thats too unbalancing, and france should split like it did IRL.

One solution is peace. IRL, Hitler was happy to neuter France and turn to Russia. That's all he wanted anyway, plus no toehold for Britain too near Germany. So without a "fall of France" event, perhaps a time limit would force Germany to at least pull a ceasefire. With half of France gone, rebuilding industry for war would be tough, and meanwhile Germany would build bombers.

Speaking of which, not sure how badly city attacks damage supply. In my games, Germany generally attacks cities to take them, not to degrade them. The AI would need a tweak, but stronger cities/weaker ground attacks might help.

Gedemon

"Barricades" seem to be kind of useless. They take up resources because you have no choice but to use everything at your disposal. But the AI puts them on every city, which is a bit silly. If everyone has them, what good are they?

Consider turning off building barricades and only pre-set them for Metz and Strasbourg, or making them "lighter" (less time, less strength) or else massively heavier. Germany should then be able to build Fortress Europe on its coasts but leave the interior unwalled.

I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM! Once I click "Start Game" just after setting all the settings up, Civ5 exits by itself and a pop-up appears. I installed everything correctly and my game version is the latest one. PLEASE HELP! Screenshot:

Attachments

• CIV5 G&K problem.jpg
    CIV5 G&K problem.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 168
Top Bottom