Reworking nukes

45°38'N-13°47'E;13426428 said:
I'm unsure about nukes on subs. Right now you can only carry nukes with limited range on subs. But current real SLBMs have almost unlimited range as ICBMs; I don't want to introduce a new kind of nuke, so regarding subs I'll probably leave things as they are now (i.e. you can load TN & IRBM).

Would it be possible for subs to carry ICBMs? If so, why not just do that? SLBMs are just a form of ICMBs in the end...

Would it be possible for subs to carry ICBMs? If so, why not just do that? SLBMs are just a form of ICMBs in the end...
I'm thinking about it. Right now it's not possible although it would be an easy change. Fact is that in default BTS carried nukes have limited range and AI is not yet very smart in using them. On the other hand, SLBM in real world have now the same range as ICBM...

Because no point in loading ICBM into a sub when you can launch it directly from base.
Loading it means a waste of cargo space which can be used for other missiles.
Plus, you risk the ICBM dying together with a sunk sub, if you move the sub around.
Even if you park the sub at cities, it can be nuked to death.
I believe ICBM itself is nuke immune, can't remember :D

Only reason is to conceal it from spying eyes.

It still won't justify why is there a need to load it into a sub, if range is unlimited since I can launch it from base to anywhere.

If the poor AI moves the sub around, it is likely to get sunk before it launches the nuke.
If it is just to conceal from spying eyes, might as well just make it invisible so AI will benefit from it as well. Else, you will have additional work to teach the AI to load but never move the sub around mindlessly.

It still won't justify why is there a need to load it into a sub, if range is unlimited since I can launch it from base to anywhere.

Because you might use some spies to know every ICBM position in a given turn and hence destroy them while on the ground. On the contrary, you would not know every subs position, unless you use "steal plans" mission. By the way, this is the reason why there are SLBM in real world.

If the poor AI moves the sub around, it is likely to get sunk before it launches the nuke.
If it is just to conceal from spying eyes, might as well just make it invisible so AI will benefit from it as well. Else, you will have additional work to teach the AI to load but never move the sub around mindlessly.

I know, my idea would be to teach AI how to use missile subs, defending and hiding them; if we give unlimited range to SLBM, they could keep SSBN in their coastal waters.

I have a question: what happens if we comment out the Advanced Nukes units? Was there some kind of crash problem? I just tried commenting out the YAM and the mod loaded without problems, although I didn't try to play any further. I think we might be able to remove the units completely if we untangle the NukeAfterEffects.py file.

I have a question: what happens if we comment out the Advanced Nukes units? Was there some kind of crash problem? I just tried commenting out the YAM and the mod loaded without problems, although I didn't try to play any further. I think we might be able to remove the units completely if we untangle the NukeAfterEffects.py file.
I recall the game was crashing removing Fusion Nova, probably something to do with python but I didn't check at the time. In the end I've not removed them even because some players liked them and they could be reactivated quickly

45°38'N-13°47'E;14038396 said:
I recall the game was crashing removing Fusion Nova, probably something to do with python but I didn't check at the time. In the end I've not removed them even because some players liked them and they could be reactivated quickly

Please don't remove the YAM :run:

Back on YAM:
I understand why you may consider YAM a "cheating" unit as it kills all units on a tile and gifts the city to the attacker, and the AI has no clue on how to use it properly. So here's an idea how it could be fixed/improved:
Instead of changing city's ownership just change its culture to 100% of the attacker, so the brain-washed citizens will demand to "join their motherland".
Instead of instantly killing all units on the tile, reduce their health to 1%; so the attacker needs to act quickly or the the brainwashed army gets reinforcements and reorganize itself.

I'd say just comment it out so people who want it can switch it on if they choose to. Same with the Fusion nukes. They're cool in concept but the water-terraforming is just... Even for the Transhuman era, it's overpowered I think :p

Please do not cut out the supernukes! I switched to this mod from C2C cause that required rather too much micromanagement. So as I played hundreds of hours the AND but always suffered slow turns on my old computer, I newer made it to modern eras. :D So finally I bought a fresh rig - and here we go, no more option to make a lake? Please! :mischief:

Top Bottom