Recommended Settings for Avid Civ. 5/Paradox Titles player?

Darknote

Chieftain
Story Time!
Spoiler :

Having last played Civ. 4 in 2009, I went to Civ. 5 after it was released. It kinda sucked so I went to Europa Universalis 3 and Hearts of Iron 3 for some time. Came back to Civ. 5 after GK expansion and it still sucked beyond salvation (Seriously man, who in hell made this limited and messed up but with better GUI, game?).

Alright, after playing GK for two weeks, I went to Victoria 2. After BNW was released I said: Heh, traderoutes ey, world congress ey? Fine let's give it another chance. And I regretted it. Lately I've been using mods for Civ. 5 like [SuperPower Mod + Civ. 4 Diplomacy + City State Diplomacy + Reseed + QuickTurns + IronMan Speed] and while it felt great with all these mods, some bug happened that I couldn't continue past turn 1320 or something. So I decided its time to revisit Civ. 4 after I heard that the initial dev. team that made previous Civs Series left and someone else made Civ. 5 I thought that Civ. 4 must be even more awesome with mods so I returned and tried this (AND followed by AND2) and I am so happy! Currently Japan turn 850 on Epic.

But the problem I have is not a problem, its amazement. Cities break off and form new nations, rebels spawn because of logical reasons. You are limited to expansion because of logical reasons. Battles can be awesome (I made it 2UPT) and on Prince I've been forced to make concessions to Ethiopia after Stalin (yes, Stalin) formed the Russian Nation after rebelling in an Ethiopian City.

Afterwards, he asked me to vassalize him, I accepted not knowing this would thrust me in his war against Ethiopia. After 5 turns, he wants to join my nation (what?) I was happy but this city of his was on the other side of the continent, so since my well developed and happy nation is doing well and that lonely city is well defended AND that I can't for some reason attack Ethiopia's city since I just fail, I just make peace after 10 turns and afterwards gift Ethiopia his city back because it seemed a nice gesture.

I am thoroughly impressed with this game and mod. Its such a HUGE leap from Civ. 5.

But Anyway, long story short, what would be the best settings for an avid Civ. 5 player?
I currently play Gigantic/Custom Continents(5)/Prince/25 Nations(Way more now apparently)
In the future, I am thinking of trying the Monarch Dificulty.

PS: The AI Actually does logical and awesome things now. God, who the hell designed Civ. 5.

EDIT: *Some words.

Loved that bit about vassalizing an AI starting a war. Never could understand why the AI gets to choose if they want to go to war when vassalizing a nation you're at war with, but if you do the same it's always a declaration :lol:

CivV has its strong points too, but overall I think IV is definitely the better game at the end of the day. I never liked the Units Per Tile rule, despite one of my favorite games forcing that limitation as well (Age of Wonders - eight units max per tile, but adjacent stacks can be thrust into a battle with them) so I never enabled that option in BUG though I might give it a shot at some point...

Agreed with keldath - very nice post ^^

Loved that bit about vassalizing an AI starting a war. Never could understand why the AI gets to choose if they want to go to war when vassalizing a nation you're at war with, but if you do the same it's always a declaration :lol:

This was not my understanding of how it worked. I thought the logic was the same for AI and human, and is:

If potential vassal is at war with someone and peace with potential master, on accepting master is at war with that someone.

If potential vassal is at war with no-one, vassal gets the masters war / peace status with everyone.

If potential vassal is at war with potential master (capitulation), on accepting vassal gets peace with master and the masters war / peace status with everyone else.

This was not my understanding of how it worked. I thought the logic was the same for AI and human, and is:

If potential vassal is at war with someone and peace with potential master, on accepting master is at war with that someone.

If potential vassal is at war with no-one, vassal gets the masters war / peace status with everyone.

If potential vassal is at war with potential master (capitulation), on accepting vassal gets peace with master and the masters war / peace status with everyone else.

With the AI it goes like this:
You are at war with Persia. Carthage is nearby and at peace with both Persia and yourself.
Eventually Persia capitulates to Carthage, who promptly declares war on you OR you automatically make peace with Persia since Carthage decided NOT to declare war on you.

With the player you get no such option. If it's Carthage and Persia at war with each other and you're peaceful with both leaders, and Persia comes up asking to be your vassal - accepting it is *always* going to auto-declare war on Carthage. You get no input on that, though the AI can decide if they want to war with the vassal's enemy or not when accepting it.

I've since stopped accepting vassals unless the world is at peace or they're a nation I'm at war with, since it often is a leader that's getting kicked by some larger nation and me accepting their request means being thrust into a war I may not wanted to deal with. I know I can check the leaderboard to see if they're at war with anyone, but sometimes I forget to so it's easier to just turn them down :)

I've never had a vassal actively ask to be absorbed before. Is that something new?

45°38'N-13°47'E;13459709 said:
Not so rare, it happens to me from time to time

Generally seems to happen to me with civs that are only a few cities in size. I had a city break away from rebellions (It was off-shore but still nearby, composed partly of barbarian cities and covered in jungle. Wars on the homeland kept me from sending supplies and troops to them, so they started suffering from unrest) and came up as rome. Only a dozen or two turns later, they came to me and said "[They] feel they're too weak to survive on their own" and rejoined my empire only a few decades after wanting independence from it :crazyeye:

I've seen civ's give up independence to me and to other AI civ's as well.

It's alway's going to be a 1 city civ, with little production. Though I've seen other stick it out, when they had little or no hope.

I think its all related to how they get along, the "hidden" bonuses for various leaders.

The higher the bonus, the more likely they are to "give up independence"

Top Bottom