Religions

tbplayer59

Chieftain
Another newb question:

Is the only way to spread religion through a Great Prophet? I got a GP, and established a religion in a few of my cities.

Then, some of the cities switched religions.

Is there a way to prevent this?
Is there a way to switch them back without a Great Prophet?

Thanks in advance!

missionaries will also spread religion. They work well in the beginning before cities get too big.
Cities that are religious also put pressure on nabouring cities (withing 10 squares)
Trade routes can put pressure on cities if further than 10 squares.

Inquisitors in your city will prevent foreign prophets and missonaries to convert your cities.
Inquisitors can also remove foreign religion

It can be very hard to keep your own religion if you have a nabour that want to missonize. Sometimes you just have to try to take advantage of their religion and forget about establishing your own. It all depends.

There are a couple of ways to spread religions. Prophets are one way. You can also buy missionaries with faith in a city, then those missionaries will spread the religion of that city where you bought them. Also each city with a region exerts a certain amount of religious pressure on the surrounding cities. Given enough time, that pressure will convert citizens of those surrounding cities.

As for stopping or removing religion from your cities, you can buy inquisitors with faith. They have the ability to remove religions from your cities. Also if you garrison an inquisitor in a city, it will prevent missionaries/prophets from spreading other religions from converting that city.

I don't think I've seen inquisitors or missionaries available. Are they units like Settlers or Scouts?

Another question: Is there a benefit to having your Civ's religion in as many cities as possible? And other Civ's cities converted to it?

You can only buy inquisitors and missionaries with faith and only in cities with a majority religion, you can't build them. You buy them just like any other unit or building in the city view.

If you found a religion you get to choose a founder bonus, which usually is a bonus based on the number of cities or followers of that religion. So spreading that religion would get you a larger bonus, although its usually a difficult thing to do in my experience. There is also a bonus to tourism if you share a majority religion with another civ.

This might be a useful site to read up on spreading religions.

Since your city already converted, first look if there's a way to take advantage of their follower beliefs or pantheons. Maybe you can buy a building or two with faith before converting your city back. Or maybe they have a killer pantheon like desert folklore and you actually WANT to keep that single city in the middle of the desert with their religion.

Thanks. I'm in the middle of reading the article, but that brings up this question:

How do you buy a building using faith? I got the message I could buy a building using faith, but when I went to the the building list for a city, it was still all with gold.

That city must have that religion as its majority religion in order to buy buildings with faith in that city.

You can tell what religion is dominant in a city by whether the city banner shows that religion's symbol (and you can mouse-hover the city banner to see how many followers of each religion there are in that city, as well as how much pressure other cities following those religions are exerting on that city). If no religion has a majority of followers, that city will have no symbol in its banner (but mouse hovering the banner will still give you a view of the "competitive landscape" in that city).

How do you buy a building using faith? I got the message I could buy a building using faith, but when I went to the the building list for a city, it was still all with gold.

Faith-purchasable buildings only show up if the majority religion in your city has those beliefs.

For example: if I choose the "Mosques" follower belief for my religion "Capitalism", all cities which have "Capitalism" as their majority religion (at least > 50% of citizens are followers of this religion) will have the option to purchase the Mosque building with Faith.

Top Bottom